By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

Isnt TLOU 2, and Ghost of whatever being developed for PS4 base hardware? You know you won't see another one of those companies for years right? Not when big IPs can take 3 to 5 years to make. I really dont see the issue here.

Not sure what that has to do with devs being held back by being forced to make sure the game runs on outdated Jaguar cores.  TLOU2 and GOT were already being made with PS4 in mind.  It's not like they had a next gen game on PS5 and Sony forced them to make sure it could run on PS4, which is what MS is making them do. 

1 to 2 years is 1 game from a developer. Its basically saying make one more game that also runs on old hardware. Next Halo (7) etc will utilise full hardware specs.

Also lets not forget to run next gen games on old hardware really doesn't take much. Reduce the 4k to 1080p, reduce 60 fps to 30 fps and take out Ray Tracing and you already saved alot of hardware power for older machines. (Obviously there is alot more to it but lets digress)

Gamers need to stop acting like the next group of hybrid games are not going to look good. You can bet your ass Halo Infinite is going to look amazing regardless if its cross gen.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 January 2020

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
ironmanDX said:

Ok, now I'm intrigued. 

Go for it. 

Here you go: 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239930&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=240488&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241597&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241054&page=1

There are a couple more threads I remember from a few years back that I can dig up as well. 

Edit: 

Had to throw in this one as well because its wild as hell: 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225177&page=1

From the cinematic experience to third person action/adventure narrative.

That first thread simply isn't even remotely what you are accusing others of. The Op even states that they do/don't agree with the article linked from an outside source.

It creates discussion. On a forum, that really shouldn't be an issue... 

The second isn't related either... It's about money hating 3rd party titles and dlc... Moving on....

Third is about a rumoured spec leak.. What do these have to do with downplaying horizon 2? The thread seemed to be more about pricing between the consoles and again, speculation about the specs.. What do you want people to do? Not talk about the information presented in the thread from an article? 

There is downplaying about cross play finally being a thing. There probably should have been more of a positive reaction there. Mods handled the situation. Not worth bookmarking imo but I'll give it to you nonetheless. 

I don't see any problem with the last thread. It's based on a person's specific tastes in gaming and they're simply sharing that opinion with others. Some known Sony fans are even agreeing in the thread... Specificallyaabout the change in gameplay from uncharted 2 to 4 and GoW's recent evolution.

It's actually well behaved in the thread too. I only did read through the first 50 posts though.

Do you just not want discussion? Is that really what you're saying? Perhaps a shared user base forum isn't for you. 

ironmanDX said:
PotentHerbs said:

Here you go: 

There are a couple more threads I remember from a few years back that I can dig up as well. 

Edit: 

That first thread simply isn't even remotely what you are accusing others of. The Op even states that they do/don't agree with the article linked from an outside source.

The second isn't related either... It's about money hating 3rd party titles and dlc... Moving on....

Third is about a rumoured spec leak.. What do these have to do with downplaying horizon 2? The thread seemed to be more about pricing between the consoles and again, speculation about the specs.. What do you want people to do? Not talk about the information presented in the thread from an article? 

There is downplaying about cross play finally being a thing. There probably should have been more of a positive reaction there. Mods handled the situation. Not worth bookmarking imo but I'll give it to you nonetheless. 

I don't see any problem with the last thread. It's based on a person's specific tastes in gaming and they're simply sharing that opinion with others. Some known Sony fans are even agreeing in the thread... Specificallyaabout the change in gameplay from uncharted 2 to 4 and GoW's recent evolution.

It's actually well behaved in the thread too. I only did read through the first 50 posts though.

Do you just not want discussion? Is that really what you're saying? Perhaps a shared user base forum isn't for you. 

Nothing wrong with thread topics used to generate discussion. However, that doesn't mean these discussions are free of downplay. 

In the first thread, some posters claim Sony won this gen off MS/Nintendo mistakes, which I find to be a oversimplification on what Sony does right in terms of the console market, downplaying their global brand.   

In the second thread, tons of spinning going on based on the OP, from 'arrogant Sony,' to Sony isn't supporting AA/indies anymore, to anti consumer, it goes beyond money hatting third party exclusives & DLC. 

The third thread, I'll admit, was more discussion/speculation and shouldn't be included. 

The last thread is more oversimplification of Sony's success but this time its with their first party software. Not to mention, OP is nit picking to prove his point. No one is forcing him to like Sony exclusives. But that doesn't mean he can fabricate their catalog to suit his argument. 

Now if only they made their games available on Windows 8, they jumped so fast to W10...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

What i can see from this strategy is , Microsoft will slow their next gen consoles sales by focusing on their old consoles . Focusing on old hardware. This will not end well for early Xbox X adopter , they will just play Xbox One games with increase resolution and frame rates. Of course Sony will also have some cross gen games, but allowing their first party IP to have exclusivity to next gen only added more value to PS5.

Gamer who already own old consoles and ready to move out to play next gen games will 100% buy PS5 instead Xbox X.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
What i can see from this strategy is , Microsoft will slow their next gen consoles sales by focusing on their old consoles . Focusing on old hardware. This will not end well for early Xbox X adopter , they will just play Xbox One games with increase resolution and frame rates. Of course Sony will also have some cross gen games, but allowing their first party IP to have exclusivity to next gen only added more value to PS5.

Gamer who already own old consoles and ready to move out to play next gen games will 100% buy PS5 instead Xbox X.

Console sales and figures are really only for fanboys to fuel the fire on which system is better based off sales.

MS clearly dont care so much for console sales any more, and it was proof this gen they dont. They want software and service sales and the Series X is only there to compete nothing more. Its not there to win some made up sales race competition where the winner gets a made up gold trophy for selling more.

If console sales means so much than MS wouldnt be doing this multiplatform system aswell as launching IPs on other platforms.

Pokemon GO earnt $900m just last year and created $3b lifetime. You wont earn that kind of money with 1 game staying exclusive with 1 platform.

MS has seen the bigger picture than just trying to sell 100m consoles.

ironmanDX said:
PotentHerbs said:

Here you go: 

Edit: 

Yeah I don’t really get this. Are these supposed to prove something relevant to this thread? Imagine if someone bookmarked every thread where someone downplayed MS or trashed their vision or intent or a new policy. “Binders and binders of threads” to paraphrase a former Presidential candidate 😆

Azzanation said:
HollyGamer said:

Console sales and figures are really only for fanboys to fuel the fire on which system is better based off sales.

MS clearly dont care so much for console sales any more, and it was proof this gen they dont. They want software and service sales and the Series X is only there to compete nothing more. Its not there to win some made up sales race competition where the winner gets a made up gold trophy for selling more.

If console sales means so much than MS wouldnt be doing this multiplatform system aswell as launching IPs on other platforms.

Pokemon GO earnt $900m just last year and created $3b lifetime. You wont earn that kind of money with 1 game staying exclusive with 1 platform.

MS has seen the bigger picture than just trying to sell 100m consoles.

Then why Microsoft are still making consoles??? PC and Cloud is more than enough isn't??? Or bring gamepass to Playstation or bring their games to Playstation community who has  million consumer

Azzanation said:

MS clearly dont care so much for console sales any more, and it was proof this gen they dont. They want software and service sales and the Series X is only there to compete nothing more.

Yep, they switched their strategy from selling consoles when their console didn't sell as well. Services and PC gaming started when their console sales disappointed.

"Console sales and figures are really only for fanboys" - Ridiculous

You can't claim software and service sales matter and then claim that hardware sales are "only for fanboys". Hardware sales are what drive the sales of software and services. MS can't sell Gold to people who don't own an Xbox. MS can't sell gamepass ultimate or console to people who don't own an Xbox. MS can't generate third party revenue from people who don't buy an Xbox. Hell with the release of their games on steam they can't even keep all of the revenue from their 1st party titles.

Console sales create a userbase that drives revenue and profits. There's a reason Playstation's profits are higher then they've ever been. They've got 106m consoles sold, generating money through 1st party and 3rd party software, and have 38.6m people subscribed to PS+.

Consoles sold = Users

Users = Money

Users on a locked system where you get revenue from third parties = even more money

Barkley said:
Azzanation said:

MS clearly dont care so much for console sales any more, and it was proof this gen they dont. They want software and service sales and the Series X is only there to compete nothing more.

Yep, they switched their strategy from selling consoles when their console didn't sell as well. Services and PC gaming started when their console sales disappointed.

"Console sales and figures are really only for fanboys" - Ridiculous

You can't claim software and service sales matter and then claim that hardware sales are "only for fanboys". Hardware sales are what drive the sales of software and services. MS can't sell Gold to people who don't own an Xbox. MS can't sell gamepass ultimate or console to people who don't own an Xbox. MS can't generate third party revenue from people who don't buy an Xbox. Hell with the release of their games on steam they can't even keep all of the revenue from their 1st party titles.

Console sales create a userbase that drives revenue and profits. There's a reason Playstation's profits are higher then they've ever been. They've got 106m consoles sold, generating money through 1st party and 3rd party software, and have 38.6m people subscribed to PS+.

Consoles sold = Users

Users = Money

Users on a locked system where you get revenue from third parties = even more money