By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There were new IPs and more importantly something big happen near the end of the 8th gen, numerous studios being purchased. Some of which that have experience making AAA games.

That and Game Pass became a thing. A service that thrives on new content to gain subscribers.

Hence, we wait and saw things happen.

A lot of things have happened then and you telling me none of it came to fruittion and we are still waiting until 9th gen to see if it will show any possitive result? 

I don't get your thinking here. Maybe elaborate.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
eva01beserk said:

A lot of things have happened then and you telling me none of it came to fruittion and we are still waiting until 9th gen to see if it will show any possitive result? 

How about this. How long do we keep waiting? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Imagine if Horizon 2 was announced as a cross gen game releasing in 2021. That would severely cripple the hype I have for it and I'm sure many feel the same way. The same people in here defending MS cross gen strategy, would absolutely shred Horizon 2 if it was cross gen, and for good reason.

Halo: Infinite is one thing, since it was originally slated for the Xbox One, but you're telling me in 2021, AAA titles from XGS will be designed with the XOne as the baseline? Aren't we supposed to be seeing a huge leap in the CPU? Scaling a game graphically is one thing, game design is a whole other story.

I can understand yearly titles like MLB or FIFA, smaller AA titles, or third party games, to be cross gen for a few years, but tethering AAA titles to last generation hardware, especially internal studios from Sony/MS, would be depressing, considering how first party studios usually push console hardware to its limit.

thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Well for starters it was just a rumor. Secondly lol if you don’t believe devs will be making games cross gen for years as is the case every gen.

I suppose you can chalk it up to just being a rumor, but it was put forth by someone who has contacts in the gaming industry.

And yea, there will be cross-gen games.  And they are the ones that don't look all that impressive when compared to games made with the new HW exclusively in mind.  You will be getting very similar geometry, the game running at a higher resolution/framerate, with maybe a few bells and whistles thrown in.  It will not be a night and day difference.

You ignore exceptions I think.

Battlefield 4 and CoD:AW had significant disparities visually between gens. Textures, geometry, effects, etc. These were impressive looking games at the time, period.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 2 had very different visuals between gens. They weren't using the same assets. Geometry was very different as well.

Witcher 2 on 360 lowered the geometry and pretty much everything else.

A more recent example is Dragon Quest on Switch. Much like Witcher 2 on 360, geometry was lowered along with many other effects and assets.

Its worth noting sometimes games have had lower quality assets and effects for a reason, better performance and resolution.

MGSV for example did have assets very similar to 7th gen, but maintained a high resolution with 60 fps.

CoD keeps boosting visually quality while compromising performance and resolution. Its barely a 60 fps game unless you have X1X and Pro.

BF games have great resolution, performance and assets, but the pop in is jarring.

There are many examples I could make but I think thats enough.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:

How about this. How long do we keep waiting? 

For 9th gen stuff? Maybe during the 9th gen.

MS has increased their 1st party studios significantly, so content must be coming. Maybe E3 is something we can wait for in the near future.

Recently Completed

Around the Network

I'd expect that the lead platform will change after the first wave of exclusives have released. Halo infinite was originally announced only for the Xbox One afterall. Hellblade 2 looked dreadful. Did you see that reveal? 900p anyone?

PotentHerbs said:

Imagine if Horizon 2 was announced as a cross gen game releasing in 2021. That would severely cripple the hype I have for it and I'm sure many feel the same way. The same people in here defending MS cross gen strategy, would absolutely shred Horizon 2 if it was cross gen, and for good reason.

Remember when CoD MW3 was ported to Wii, but no screens or video was revealed until it virtually launched. We just assumed it would be shit in comparison because 360 and PS3 were the leads.

The advertised version of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the X1 version, not the 360. The 360 version wasnt very polished, but it was fine.

Forza Horizon 2 looks great, even now. That somehow happened with a 360 version on the market.

A more recent example, MK11 on Switch wasnt really shown until launch. Its ugly, but its fine. Still looks great on my X1X in comparison, a vast disparity.

Hence, if Sony showed off Horizon 2, but only the PS5 version and it looked amazing. Would you really care a PS4 version is also a thing?

Recently Completed

PotentHerbs said:

Halo: Infinite is one thing, since it was originally slated for the Xbox One, but you're telling me in 2021, AAA titles from XGS will be designed with the XOne as the baseline? Aren't we supposed to be seeing a huge leap in the CPU? Scaling a game graphically is one thing, game design is a whole other story.

I can understand yearly titles like MLB or FIFA, smaller AA titles, or third party games, to be cross gen for a few years, but tethering AAA titles to last generation hardware, especially internal studios from Sony/MS, would be depressing, considering how first party studios usually push console hardware to its limit.

I don’t think many of us that prefer Xbox here really give a shit about Horizon to shit post about it. Zelda is a much bigger deal and I don’t remember any big fuss there.

Mr Puggsly said:
PotentHerbs said:

Remember when CoD MW3 was ported to Wii, but no screens or video was revealed until it virtually launched. We just assumed it would be shit in comparison because 360 and PS3 were the leads.

The advertised version of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the X1 version, not the 360. The 360 version wasnt very polished, but it was fine.

Forza Horizon 2 looks great, even now. That somehow happened with a 360 version on the market.

A more recent example, MK11 on Switch wasnt really shown until launch. Its ugly, but its fine. Still looks great on my X1X in comparison, a vast disparity.

Hence, if Sony showed off Horizon 2, but only the PS5 version and it looked amazing. Would you really care a PS4 version is also a thing?

Its not just a graphical downgrade.

Draw distance, amount of NPC's, load times, amount of enemies on screen, complex AI, etc, the CPU functions would be scaled down, impacting overall game design. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don’t think many of us that prefer Xbox here really give a shit about Horizon to shit post about it. Zelda is a much bigger deal and I don’t remember any big fuss there.

I doubt that.