By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

PotentHerbs said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Remember when CoD MW3 was ported to Wii, but no screens or video was revealed until it virtually launched. We just assumed it would be shit in comparison because 360 and PS3 were the leads.

The advertised version of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the X1 version, not the 360. The 360 version wasnt very polished, but it was fine.

Forza Horizon 2 looks great, even now. That somehow happened with a 360 version on the market.

A more recent example, MK11 on Switch wasnt really shown until launch. Its ugly, but its fine. Still looks great on my X1X in comparison, a vast disparity.

Hence, if Sony showed off Horizon 2, but only the PS5 version and it looked amazing. Would you really care a PS4 version is also a thing?

Its not just a graphical downgrade.

Draw distance, amount of NPC's, load times, amount of enemies on screen, complex AI, etc, the CPU functions would be scaled down, impacting overall game design. 

That's not necessarily true. There are plenty of 7th gen games that are bigger in scale and more complex than the average 8th gen game. I mean GTAV and Skyrim shouldnt exist on 7th gen if complex games required cutting edge specs.

Look at Crysis 1 on 7th gen. That was supposedly an impossible port but they got it done with much of the complex CPU demands mostly intact.

Is Forza Horizon 2 on 360 as complex as the lead X1 version? Nope, but its still good.

It just depends on the route they go. Your assumption is X1 will always be the lead. But it might be the opposite and X1 ports are scaled back in both graphics and features.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
twintail said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, 9th gen could be treated as the lead while scaled back ports are developed for X1. Realistically that would only be about six AAA games over two years.

However, I am starting to wonder if this means Lockhart won't happen. The X1 and X1X might stick around for a bit as budget hardware.

If so, it would be a bad idea for MS to release a new console more expensive than PS5.

On a side note I think we are seeing Sony fans actually attacking MS for supporting a console too long. Historically Sony fans did the opposite.

Exactly. If the games are 9th gen scaled back then there should be no issue with performance, visuals etc. 

Criticism to this is strange. Nonetheless, Sony's support hasn't really been a cross gen one. They have usually made definite steps to show they next gen games were next gen only

During the first two years of PS4 it was mostly just pushing graphics. Theit first game that really impressed me technically was Infamous:SS.

But for thr last two gens both MS and Sony quickly jumped to next gen for major content. Cross gen wasnt really as common but games scale easier now.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 11 January 2020

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I don’t think many of us that prefer Xbox here really give a shit about Horizon to shit post about it. Zelda is a much bigger deal and I don’t remember any big fuss there.

I doubt that. 

Again, Zelda >>>>>>>> Horizon, and no fuss was made there. It’s ok, you can be wrong. 

On a side note, I think people are under the impression a game needs to cutting edge in every way to thrive in the market.

To that I say look at the most actively played games, few if any are truly impressive at this point.

GTAV is still popular and its last gen game design. MS is capable of making more ambitious games even if they were limited to X1 specs. Gears 5 demonstrated that and Halo Infinite should as well.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
PotentHerbs said:

Its not just a graphical downgrade.

Draw distance, amount of NPC's, load times, amount of enemies on screen, complex AI, etc, the CPU functions would be scaled down, impacting overall game design. 

That's not necessarily true. There are plenty of 7th gen games that are bigger in scale and more complex than the average 8th gen game. I mean GTAV and Skyrim shouldnt exist on 7th gen if complex games required cutting edge specs.

Look at Crysis 1 on 7th gen. That was supposedly an impossible port but they got it done with much of the complex CPU demands mostly intact.

Is Forza Horizon 2 on 360 as complex as the lead X1 version? Nope, but its still good.

It just depends on the route they go. Your assumption is X1 will always be the lead. But it might be the opposite and X1 ports are scaled back in both graphics and features.

GTAV & Skyrim were still based on PS360 hardware. I wouldn't categorize GTAV/ Skyrim as the average 7th gen game either, since both these projects pushed the hardware to its limits, and the majority of 7th gen games didn't match their scope.

IIRC, The Last Guardian wouldn't be able to run on the PS3 because of its CPU bottlenecks. And this is an average looking game for 7th gen standards.

With all the supposed improvements of the SSD/CPU, the emphasis of no load times, from both Sony/MS, it seems like the complexity of gameplay/ game design are poised to jump dramatically.

But you're right, we'll see what developers prioritize. 

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
PotentHerbs said:

I doubt that. 

Again, Zelda >>>>>>>> Horizon, and no fuss was made there. It’s ok, you can be wrong. 

I can pull up a few Sony threads to prove otherwise. Xbox fans will definitely downplay a Horizon 2 cross gen launch. Its comical to think otherwise. 

thismeintiel said:
Not very smart in my opinion. It most likely means that they'll be starting with Xbox One S and working their way up. It already was reported that some devs didn't like developing for Lockhart and Series X. I can't imagine 1st party studios being too happy with also having to develop for an outdated piece of tech instead of moving on to next-gen fully like most of Sony's 1st party studios are.

Isnt TLOU 2, and Ghost of whatever being developed for PS4 base hardware? You know you won't see another one of those companies for years right? Not when big IPs can take 3 to 5 years to make. I really dont see the issue here.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 January 2020

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I can pull up a few Sony threads to prove otherwise. Xbox fans will definitely downplay a Horizon 2 cross gen launch. Its comical to think otherwise. 

Ok, now I'm intrigued. 

Go for it. 

ironmanDX said:
PotentHerbs said:

Ok, now I'm intrigued. 

Go for it. 

Here you go: 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239930&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=240488&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241597&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241054&page=1

There are a couple more threads I remember from a few years back that I can dig up as well. 

Edit: 

Had to throw in this one as well because its wild as hell: 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225177&page=1

From the cinematic experience to third person action/adventure narrative.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 12 January 2020

Azzanation said:
thismeintiel said:
Not very smart in my opinion. It most likely means that they'll be starting with Xbox One S and working their way up. It already was reported that some devs didn't like developing for Lockhart and Series X. I can't imagine 1st party studios being too happy with also having to develop for an outdated piece of tech instead of moving on to next-gen fully like most of Sony's 1st party studios are.

Isnt TLOU 2, and Ghost of whatever being developed for PS4 base hardware? You know you won't see another one of those companies for years right? Not when big IPs can take 3 to 5 years to make. I really dont see the issue here.

Not sure what that has to do with devs being held back by being forced to make sure the game runs on outdated Jaguar cores.  TLOU2 and GOT were already being made with PS4 in mind.  It's not like they had a next gen game on PS5 and Sony forced them to make sure it could run on PS4, which is what MS is making them do.