By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch's 2017 vs Switch's 2019

I choose...

2017 43 71.67%

2019 17 28.33%

Total:60

Which do you think was the better year in terms of games, and why?

Around the Network

2019, more quantity and variety

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Let's see, for me 2017 stands out for Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario+Rabbids, Axiom Verge, and Odyssey. That's an insane line up.

2019 for me had Tetris 99 which I like a lot, a bunch of old final fantasy's got ported over which is awesome. Mario Maker 2 is fantastic, Pokemon and NSMBU are pretty good, Link's Awakening I haven't gotten yet but really want to, Ring Fit which I just played today and I was super surprised by and might just get, they added SNES to the subscription service which is nice, and other games that look cool but I won't end up getting.

2019 was great, and I didn't even partake in several of the good games that I would probably enjoy that came out. But it's real hard to beat 2017's combo of Zelda, MK, Splatoon, M+R, and Odyssey (as well as Axiom Verge which was a new game to me and i loved it!).

2017 had better highs, but 2019 had more good stuff to get into. Overall I'd probably take 2017 just because I don't need more than a handful of incredible games in a year. But 2019 has done a much better job making Switch's game library more rounded and diverse.

In my opinion 2017 by far, you had a revolutionary mainline Zelda game that's arguably one of the greatest games of all time and same goes for Mario Odyssey, it's already hard to beat a year where 2 of one of the greatest games ever release the same year. But it wasn't only Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW. 2017 Switch had Huge games releasing at a rate of once a month which is rare to see in any console. March-Zelda BOTW, April-Mario Kart 8 DX, June-Arms, July-Splatoon 2, August-Mario & Rabbids, September-Pokken Tournament, October- Mario Odyssey AND Fire emblem heros, November- Doom, December-Xenoblade 2.

I know that some of these are ports from the Wii U, but the majority of people who own a Switch never owned a Wii U which makes them seem like new games for people never being able to experience them. It's not only that we got two crazy games, we got a bunch of other solid releases that supplemented those games and made it one of the best Nintendo years ever.

While 2019 was a pretty solid year of releases for the Switch, I wouldn't really call any of the games close to BOTW or Odyssey level. 2019 did get a good amount of releases, but i would consider the releases in 2019 the B Team of Nintendo releases, not really Top tier Team A releases

2017 had Breath of the Wild. Auto-win.

Around the Network

2019. Sure 2017 gave me Xenoblade 2 and it's great. I liked BOTW and Mario and Arms a lot as well. However, 2019 gave me Astral Chain a new IP I'm in love with. Daemon X Machina, my Armored Core sequel I have been wanting. Dragon Quest XI-S my new fave entry in the series. The re-release of Tales of Vesperia made me finally fall in love with a Tales of game for the first time. I got a remake of the Ninja Warriors Again. The best entry in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series. A successor to my fave 16-bit era racer Top Gear 2 with Horizon Chase Turbo. The mana collection on cart at last! I got a fun spinoff for No More Heroes. Finally, a quality remake of my fave top-down Zelda. Links Awakening.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:

Which do you think was the better year in terms of games, and why?

Lets see...

I Am Setsuna
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Disgaea 5 Complete
Arms
Golf Story
Axiom Verge
Fire Emblem Warriors
L.A. Noire
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Snake Pass
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Thimbleweed Park
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Yooka-Laylee

vs

Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Gunman Clive HD Collection
Defense Grid 2
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VII
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Cuphead
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland
Assassin's Creed III Remastered
The Last Remnant Remastered
Devil May Cry
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Doom 1 + 2 + 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Grandia HD Collection
Astral Chain
Final Fantasy VIII
Divinity: Original Sin II
Devil May Cry 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
Dragon Quest XI S
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
A Hat in Time
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout
Disgaea 4 Complete+

Overall I think 2019 wins out.

2017 had marquee titles and much better pacing of the bigger titles
2019 had many many great games, but poor pacing and the top games were not as good as 2017

Depends on what you like.. cant go wrong with either.

2019, but only by a hair. The two Dragon Quest games (Builder 1 and XI S) along with Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Super Mario Maker 2 that are decisive for the victory of 2019 for me, but the overall quantity of great games in 2019 should also do the trick for many; 2017 had some truly exceptional games, but not enough of them to counter the slew of great titles from 2019.

Breath of the Wild on its own pretty much makes 2017 a win. Combine that with Odyssey Arms and Splat2n and it's an easy win.