By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

I’d be curious to see how Microsoft would react to this. It obviously wouldn’t ever happen, that is way too much money to spend on games that would already be coming to your console, not to mention how much value they would zenimax would immediately lose on purchase. It would be a terrible investment.

Still, I like the idea of a big third party shakeup. Give the first parties a little more impact while at the same time creating room for a new generation of third party developers. As of right now... I kind of feel like gaming is getting a bit stale...

Around the Network

Their QA would improve tremendously.

Bethesda hasn't really had any huge successes lately, maybe there is some loss in confidence and they are desperate to sell and Sony bit. Probably won't happen but i don't think it is unlikely

Well I don't like any of the games this company makes, but would be funny to see Sony buying this and seeing the games that would benefit PS5 by being exclusive and the ones they would also launch on PC. And that would be a lot of studios =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

estebxx said:
Blood_Tears said:
Hopefully this doesn't happen because MS will just buy out CD project Red as a reaction. Besides, Sony needs more Japanese support not Zenimax. Their Japan sales numbers are in the toilet. Capcom, Sega or SE would be a better fit. Hell even Falcom or something. They have FF7 Remake this year for a boost and that's it for Japan.

THIS  TIMES 10000

That makes far more sense, especially buying someone smaller and far more related to them like Falcom (a company that has already released and has continue to release PS exclusives), not to mention Falcom games are amazing in pretty much every single aspect except tech wise since they look like Vita games to be honest... a AAA Falcom game would be effing Awesome, and Sony could indeed benefit from trying to reagain some lost ground in Japan, that being said i dont think this will ever happen since i have no reason to believe Sony even cares about regaining market share in Japan not to mention in order to do such a thing it would take far more than this...

So many small companies would benefit a lot from having a bigger budget while costing little to buy. Great games but with low visual that with Sony expertise would become AAA that could sell a lot.

@ several comments But it is funny that Sony couldn't be buying this in reaction to MS buying 6 studios, actually MS would need to react to this purchase buying even more studios. Then would Sony react again and buy more?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Mr Puggsly said:

How exactly would that shake things up? It would mean more exclusives for Sony but also less risks.

3rd parties, especially big ones, tend to take more risks in output because they can rely on muliple platforms for sales.

Its apparent MLB The Show isnt thriving enough just relying on Playstation, going multiplat to be worthwhile.

Well I disagree. I tend to enjoy Exclusives/ Console exclusives more than Multiplats on any system. Why? Because they take a higher risk focusing on a more narrow fanbase rather than catering to the masses. If Sony bought Zenimax and MS retaliated with a big purchase then they could rival Nintendo in first party output. That would be a big shakeup in the industry compared to the last few generations of the PS/XB consoles being quite similar, but unable to keep up with Nintendo in first party output.

To the contrary, I feel its Sony that has become narrow in their offerings. They keep making 3rd person story driven games because they've had success with that.

If they bought something like Zenimax, I feel like Sony would primarily go with the obvious games like Elder Scrolls. While the id games and other Zenimax IPs might seem too risky due to modest sales on Playstation alone.

What I am saying in a nutshell is we would have less output from Zenimax in the hands of Sony.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Its só funny to see the behaviour of some , people loves to trow around the fact that microsoft have infinite money and every rumour of them buying its got BE a big company, its gota BE cdprojectred or Ubisoft or EA, comments like "wink wink i dont believe but would BE great just to see reactions lulz, i want to see the meltdowns wink wink" , but when its Sony with these rumours they piss and shit on their pants just thinking There is 0.00001% chance. Dont worry , no One is buying EA, taketwo, zenimax ,Ubisoft or cdprojectred etc etc, not Sony and not Microsoft, these rumours are not even rumours, is probably some neckbeard Fanboy with his fingers smelling of cheetos with nothing else to do than asking for attention in Reddit or 4chan baiting people who is dumb enough to believe this shit.

I dont think anybody is really mad about this. MS purchasing Minecraft makes it easier to entertain a purchase like this. Frankly, MS has spent many billions buying companies.

Also, all the hate MS gets on the interweb makes their studio purchases slightly more amusing.

I dont think people believe it, but we entertain it for the sake of a discussion. Why it would be good or bad, whatever.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 03 January 2020

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JRPGfan said:

Thats waaay to big a buy isnt it?

That said, I'd love to see Sony take over Bethesda Game Studios.

Sometimes new management is all thats needed, to get things back on track,
and I suspect Bethesda is one of those companys that could benefit from it.

Elder Scrolls Online + Fallout 76 = garbage.

Bethasda has lost its way.

Its too focused on all the wrong things, way to focused on penny pinching, and exploiting consumers.
Sony takeing over, and new engine + a belief in single player focused gameing, and not screwing over consumers.
Suddenly Elderscrolls is back and Fallout too, as their ment to be.

That's what I'm hoping for

I am Iron Man

DonFerrari said:

So many small companies would benefit a lot from having a bigger budget while costing little to buy. Great games but with low visual that with Sony expertise would become AAA that could sell a lot.

@ several comments But it is funny that Sony couldn't be buying this in reaction to MS buying 6 studios, actually MS would need to react to this purchase buying even more studios. Then would Sony react again and buy more?

I agree that buying smaller companies be alot more benefits. For the price of Zenimax, that money can be used to purchase a dozen smaller talented studios.

I think the last thing Sony will want is a buy out competition with one of the wealthiest companies in the world. That can be a dangerous move.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

I agree that buying smaller companies be alot more benefits. For the price of Zenimax, that money can be used to purchase a dozen smaller talented studios.

I think the last thing Sony will want is a buy out competition with one of the wealthiest companies in the world. That can be a dangerous move.

For 3 gens Sony have been receiving competition of this said company, why should they cower at this moment?