By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

Let's not even go there, it's never happening.

Around the Network

And Nintendo will buy Capcom SEGA and Platinum.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Well Sony do lack in the fps market, this would quick solve it.

crissindahouse said:

They don't even seem to be that expensive. I'm surprised that MS didn't already try to buy them if they are really only worth a few billions like I just read. You would get huge IPs and big studios for much less as some public gaming companies would cost.

A Bloomberg article from 2016 says they are worth 2.5 billion. Not sure about now but with their problems the last years I guess it won't be a crazy number nowadays.

And spending some billion to purchase a company isn't really something crazy for big public companies. 

Doesn't sound too expensive for Sony who need to succeed in the gaming industry since it's so important for them. Sure, the PS5 will be a success even without such a purchase but Sony needs to plan for a future with much less revenue from consoles while still increasing their revenue/profit from gaming.

Its not just about the price of a brand but also how profitable they are and can be. ZeniMax might be leaking millions and maybe billions, and if thats the case, not many will want to invest in a company that can hurt shareholders etc.

Also i can't see IPs like Doom bundled in a deal thats worth only $2.5b. I believe ID might be slightly undervalued here.

Too big for Sony to buy in one single purchase.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Could be but seeing as most of these games are best on PC i wonder how usefulll of a purchase it actually would be

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The rumor are saying " it's still on talk ". So if it's ended up not true it's probably it's just a rumor or probably Sony cannot afforded. But my opinion Zenimax are to big for Sony to buy, unless there is a big money problem on Zenimax that they desperate with money. I put this rumor as just a dream.

Too many people are complaining about lack of exclusives and this move of acquiring studios by Sony and Microsoft will suck for single platform owners. Make sense that Zenimax might be looking to unload their gaming division. Well I just hope that in the future both Sony and Microsoft will be using Xbox Xcloud and exclusivity won't matter anymore. I don't mind giving my money to Sony to play their exclusive without buying a consoles.

If it happens I still don't see Zenimax going PS-only for their releases. Just way too much money loss for them it would be. I don't have the exact numbers but it seems that Zenimax games sales have a big share on PC and Xbox, probably more than 50% so it would be dumb for them to go PS-only. So, even if Sony purchases them, I expect them to continue releasing multiplatform games.

Slightly less believable than the Take2 rumor a while back.

4 ≈ One