By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

Hopefully this doesn't happen because MS will just buy out CD project Red as a reaction. Besides, Sony needs more Japanese support not Zenimax. Their Japan sales numbers are in the toilet. Capcom, Sega or SE would be a better fit. Hell even Falcom or something. They have FF7 Remake this year for a boost and that's it for Japan.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Hopefully this doesn't happen because MS will just buy out CD project Red as a reaction. Besides, Sony needs more Japanese support not Zenimax. Their Japan sales numbers are in the toilet. Capcom, Sega or SE would be a better fit. Hell even Falcom or something. They have FF7 Remake this year for a boost and that's it for Japan.

THIS  TIMES 10000

That makes far more sense, especially buying someone smaller and far more related to them like Falcom (a company that has already released and has continue to release PS exclusives), not to mention Falcom games are amazing in pretty much every single aspect except tech wise since they look like Vita games to be honest... a AAA Falcom game would be effing Awesome, and Sony could indeed benefit from trying to reagain some lost ground in Japan, that being said i dont think this will ever happen since i have no reason to believe Sony even cares about regaining market share in Japan not to mention in order to do such a thing it would take far more than this...

Yeah.. seems fake as shit to me. Like the rumour of of sony buying take two

Would be too big, but I would like to see it just to see a big shakeup in the gaming industry.

derpysquirtle64 said:
If it happens I still don't see Zenimax going PS-only for their releases. Just way too much money loss for them it would be. I don't have the exact numbers but it seems that Zenimax games sales have a big share on PC and Xbox, probably more than 50% so it would be dumb for them to go PS-only. So, even if Sony purchases them, I expect them to continue releasing multiplatform games.

I'm sceptical, if it was done just for PS5 and the Publisher was just console then no way. but  MS has its Xbox/ PC sub plan and the future seems to be Netflix type platforms, so this may well be Sony's reaction to those. they gain more content and rather than maintaining the status quo with  Xbox having carte blanche in the PC realm  they end up with a PC portfolio for their platform and at the same time can do a Minecraft with the Console side.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Every studio bought recently has been relatively small.

So some potentially multi billion dollar purchase feels unlikely. Its cheaper to make really good clones. Look at Outer Worlds for example.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Farsala said:
Would be too big, but I would like to see it just to see a big shakeup in the gaming industry.

How exactly would that shake things up? It would mean more exclusives for Sony but also less risks.

3rd parties, especially big ones, tend to take more risks in output because they can rely on muliple platforms for sales.

Its apparent MLB The Show isnt thriving enough just relying on Playstation, going multiplat to be worthwhile.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Farsala said:

How exactly would that shake things up? It would mean more exclusives for Sony but also less risks.

3rd parties, especially big ones, tend to take more risks in output because they can rely on muliple platforms for sales.

Its apparent MLB The Show isnt thriving enough just relying on Playstation, going multiplat to be worthwhile.

Well I disagree. I tend to enjoy Exclusives/ Console exclusives more than Multiplats on any system. Why? Because they take a higher risk focusing on a more narrow fanbase rather than catering to the masses. If Sony bought Zenimax and MS retaliated with a big purchase then they could rival Nintendo in first party output. That would be a big shakeup in the industry compared to the last few generations of the PS/XB consoles being quite similar, but unable to keep up with Nintendo in first party output.

If Zenimax are actually willing to sell then MS would have been all over that.

Farsala said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well I disagree. I tend to enjoy Exclusives/ Console exclusives more than Multiplats on any system. Why? Because they take a higher risk focusing on a more narrow fanbase rather than catering to the masses. If Sony bought Zenimax and MS retaliated with a big purchase then they could rival Nintendo in first party output. That would be a big shakeup in the industry compared to the last few generations of the PS/XB consoles being quite similar, but unable to keep up with Nintendo in first party output.

Obviously, if 3rd party games didn't exist, only Nintendo of the big 3 could survive with their 1st party games. Also, if Sony and MS really do that, Nintendo will try to do the same too, for example: Platinum Games

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 03 January 2020