By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

So this new valve steam deck could i be able to play aoe 4 with this device? I dont need gaming pc and wont buy 2000€ device for pc gaming so i was thinking that maybe tis steam deck would be the answer for me to run some RTS games with mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Around the Network

Solid Month for Xbox in the US. FH4 has crazy legs.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

Seeing that flooding, I hope our German/Belgian/Dutch members are safe.

Well after years of dry summers and potentially water shortages this happens.

shikamaru317 said:
Flayer said:

So this new valve steam deck could i be able to play aoe 4 with this device? I dont need gaming pc and wont buy 2000€ device for pc gaming so i was thinking that maybe tis steam deck would be the answer for me to run some RTS games with mouse, keyboard and monitor.

The specs of Steam Deck seem like they'll be good enough to play AoE 4, but I don't think AoE 4 will be on Steam OS, so you would need to install Windows on your Steam Deck instead, which will cost you extra for a Windows License. Another possible caveat is the install size of AoE 4, we don't know how big the install is yet so it might be too big to fit on the internal 64 GB eMMC storage on the base model after part of that internal storage is taken up by the Windows Install, which means you would either need to install the game on an SD card (SD cards seem to be limited to 104 MB/s UHS-I standard, which is about half the speed of the internal eMMC, meaning that load times will be slower) or upgrade to the mid-range model for $529 which has a 256 GB NVMe SSD which will be about 10x faster than the eMMC in the base model, and be large enough to fit the Windows install and a few AAA games. 

I reserved the 512GB one, I'm super excited about this device. This will be a perfect GamePass + Emulation device for me.

Will install Windows right away when I get it and get rid of this Steamthing. 

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 16 July 2021

Around the Network

Imaginedvl said:
shikamaru317 said:

The specs of Steam Deck seem like they'll be good enough to play AoE 4, but I don't think AoE 4 will be on Steam OS, so you would need to install Windows on your Steam Deck instead, which will cost you extra for a Windows License. Another possible caveat is the install size of AoE 4, we don't know how big the install is yet so it might be too big to fit on the internal 64 GB eMMC storage on the base model after part of that internal storage is taken up by the Windows Install, which means you would either need to install the game on an SD card (SD cards seem to be limited to 104 MB/s UHS-I standard, which is about half the speed of the internal eMMC, meaning that load times will be slower) or upgrade to the mid-range model for $529 which has a 256 GB NVMe SSD which will be about 10x faster than the eMMC in the base model, and be large enough to fit the Windows install and a few AAA games. 

I reserved the 512GB one, I'm super excited about this device. This will be a perfect GamePass + Emulation device for me.

Question is where to get extra windows for cheap... i did google it and several places seems to sell digital codes for 10-20€ but i believe normal pc stores using price is something like 100€. Any1 have any knowlegde on this were would be the best place to get extra windows to install on steam deck?

Flayer said:
Imaginedvl said:

Question is where to get extra windows for cheap... i did google it and several places seems to sell digital codes for 10-20€ but i believe normal pc stores using price is something like 100€. Any1 have any knowlegde on this were would be the best place to get extra windows to install on steam deck?

Not an issue for me as I have an MSDN subscription, I can install as many Windows as I need (maybe there is a limit but I never reached it anyway).
Without MSDN, if you do not have an old version of Windows on the device already to upgrade (which is basically free), you may have to rely on either buying a full license or they are websites like you mentioned selling OEM key I think.

Either way, with the price of the device and then the possibility to play GamePass games (or any Windows games) + all emulators; this is not so bad even if you have to pay for a Windows license at the end. 

And if GamePass is not really interesting for you, then for emulation only, you can even use the Linux coming on the device right away and not even need to install Windows. 

Finished Aragami: Shadow Edition.

This game was part of GwG in November 2020. Probably one of the better games in the past 12 months to be included with GwG.

All you do in the game is to complete objectives stealthly. Unlike Assassin's Creed, you can't properly fight enemies as you die in one hit. However, you can still kill enemies as long as they don't see you. Shadows are your best friend. You're next to invisible when you're staying in the shadows plus the shade will recharge your energy level with which you can teleport to other shadowy places and even create temporary spots of darkness which you can use to secretly get across non-dark areas.

On top of that there are other abilities that will make your life a little easier. For example, when you're about to get spotted but the enemy is out of reach, you can throw your knife (kunai) to save yourself. However, you can only make limited use of these abilities as you can only recharge them at certain spots in the levels.

There are only a two types of enemies. Regular guards that are either stationary or walking along a set path. In later levels they will have a light source following them which makes it harder for you to kill them unspotted. The other type is an archer who has increased perception and can see you from a long distance. That obviously means that there isn't a lot of variety. Also the enemies aren't getting any smarter throughout the game. The latter levels will just have more enemies and less dark places.

All things considered, I had a good time with the game. You can play it as you like since you don't really have to kill anyone except the bosses. The sequel will be on GamePass on release. I will definitely check that out.

7/10

Ryuu96 said:

Said he still has a lot of ideas for Halo and would be excited to return to Halo if it ever happened, even offered to return on an advisory role to support them.

343 should do it and get as many of the gang back together as possible, hopefully Joe doesn't leave, I think him working alongside Marcus again would be cool but if Joe does leave after Halo Infinite ships, Marcus would be a great person to take over his role (I'm assuming Joe is going to look for a replacement before he leaves if he still plans on leaving).

Or put Marcus in charge of the spinoff team, I still say 343 should have two studios, one for mainline and one for spinoffs.

Is this the guy that made his own studio, which made one really bad game, and then instantly shut down as a result?

That doesn't exactly scream "Please Marcus, come back, have some money, and your own team at 343 to do with as you see fit."

Of course he'd be "happy" to come back and work on Halo now that he flamed out of what he actually wanted to do, and MS is in a good position, throwing money around at everyone. I'm about as interested in having this guy work on Halo again as I am in having Cliffy B work on Gears again...which is to say...no thanks.