By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
AsGryffynn said:

I looked at the front page and there's no single scenario in which the Xbox Series sells under six figures in Europe because of popularity. The sales seem definitely tied to stock. Only the lack of Xboxes in Europe could explain such a visible collapse. This has no precedent whatsoever otherwise.

And they overtook Sony in the US... yep, this is definitely reliant on stock consoles.

Hopefully MS has ramped up production as high as possible.

Looks as if Microsoft is prioritizing certain regions like NA over Europe for launch. The XBS barely outsold the XBO in the UK, a little less than the XBO in Japan, and sold a little less than the XBO in France. MS saying it's their biggest launch so we can assume that the Americas and maybe even Oceania took the stock for that to happen

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
AsGryffynn said:

I looked at the front page and there's no single scenario in which the Xbox Series sells under six figures in Europe because of popularity. The sales seem definitely tied to stock. Only the lack of Xboxes in Europe could explain such a visible collapse. This has no precedent whatsoever otherwise.

And they overtook Sony in the US... yep, this is definitely reliant on stock consoles.

Hopefully MS has ramped up production as high as possible.

Looks as if Microsoft is prioritizing certain regions like NA over Europe for launch. The XBS barely outsold the XBO in the UK, a little less than the XBO in Japan, and sold a little less than the XBO in France. MS saying it's their biggest launch so we can assume that the Americas and maybe even Oceania took the stock for that to happen

Hard to blame them for that though. They don't really have much chance in Europe to be honest and Sony seems to be prioritising US as well this time (judging by their statements, it's pretty clear that they really want to win US over Xbox once again). So, wise decision in my opinion from MS side. Win US at launch and then move on to EU expansion.

Ryuu96 said:

XIV is Microsoft's fault I think, Square doesn't want people paying for XIV's subscription on top of paying for Xbox Live, Microsoft has a few dumb policies left over like that, they should at the very least remove Gold for F2P titles but they don't even seem interested in doing that either.

Yeah, if that's the case, no company would change such policy just to get one game to the platform

Ryuu96 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Yeah, if that's the case, no company would change such policy just to get one game to the platform

Meh, it's still a crappy policy they should get rid of, like the minimum print order and Gold requirement for F2P titles, neither are a big deal in the grand scheme of things but they're crappy policies.

No F2P titles skip Xbox cause they require Gold and all we miss with the minimum print order is physical releases but still, crappy policies, XIV is a bigger deal than those so I don't see why they don't make an exception, subscription based MMOs shouldn't require Gold ontop of that, it's the cause of a very popular title skipping Xbox, it's also shitty to the consumer who has to pay two subs.

Not like it will hurt Xbox either, there's not many sub based MMOs on consoles and they still get that 30% from any store purchases too.

I agree it's crappy policies but it seems like there is a reason for that no to be changed yet. It seems like the majority of Xbox community are asking too drop it but MS still doesn't listen (because they know we'll pay anyway ).

As for the second one, personally for me it is an even bigger issue. At least should allow LRG handle Xbox releases if they are not interested in it. I'm still pissed that Yakuza games, Nier:Automata and some others are digital only on Xbox. But I understand that. MS is trying their best to get rid of physical, so nothing surprising here that they create artificial difficulties when it comes to physical copy distribution.

Thank God. I want a new background.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

What makes no sense about the FF14 situation is that they actually announced it for Xbox. That Xbox Live requirement has been in place all generation, and FF14's director or producer had previously cited it as a reason why the game wasn't on Xbox, but then Phil and Square announced the game for Xbox last November, so I would have assumed that the Xbox Live requirement was worked around. But it has now been a year since then with no news, so Jez may be right, FF14 may be cancelled.

But they didn't announce it. It was weirdly briefly mentioned in some interview that they want it to happen or something. There was never an official announcement that the game is coming to Xbox. So, they probably still haven't reached an agreement.

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

But they didn't announce it. It was weirdly briefly mentioned in some interview that they want it to happen or something. There was never an official announcement that the game is coming to Xbox. So, they probably still haven't reached an agreement.

It was essentially announced, at least by MS, if not by Square. Phil told the press it was coming to Xbox at XO19:

"I wanted you to know, rest assured that we will be bringing that game [Final Fantasy XIV] to Xbox. We have a great relationship with Yoshida-san [FFXIV director] and we’re working through what it means to bring [to Xbox] a cross-platform MMO that they’ve run for years."

Then just last month, Yoshida started walking back the narrative, suggesting that FF14 on Xbox might not happen:

"I haven’t really considered releasing FFXIV on Game Pass. This is because FFXIV itself is a subscription-model game," said Yoshida. "Phil is very dedicated in his support for FFXIV, and I truly appreciate his efforts. I hope that one day, Phil and I can stand shoulder to shoulder and create an opportunity for gamers around the world to enjoy FFXIV even more."

It's such a weird situation. Basically an entire generation of back and forth between MS and Square about this game, only for it not to come to Xbox, at least if Jez is right. Square truly makes no sense to me sometimes. FFXV sold nearly 2m on Xbox One, but then they went and sold timed exclusivity on multiple FF games and Project Athia to Sony, and now they seem like they are trying to get out of FF14 on Xbox as well. Add to that all of their other games that skip Xbox, it just leaves me shaking my head.

And that's the problem. I'm not sure why MS did this. But I don't think Square was aware of it. Because if you find the latest news about it (from June 2020 I believe), Square are still "discussing".

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

It was essentially announced, at least by MS, if not by Square. Phil told the press it was coming to Xbox at XO19:

"I wanted you to know, rest assured that we will be bringing that game [Final Fantasy XIV] to Xbox. We have a great relationship with Yoshida-san [FFXIV director] and we’re working through what it means to bring [to Xbox] a cross-platform MMO that they’ve run for years."

Then just last month, Yoshida started walking back the narrative, suggesting that FF14 on Xbox might not happen:

"I haven’t really considered releasing FFXIV on Game Pass. This is because FFXIV itself is a subscription-model game," said Yoshida. "Phil is very dedicated in his support for FFXIV, and I truly appreciate his efforts. I hope that one day, Phil and I can stand shoulder to shoulder and create an opportunity for gamers around the world to enjoy FFXIV even more."

It's such a weird situation. Basically an entire generation of back and forth between MS and Square about this game, only for it not to come to Xbox, at least if Jez is right. Square truly makes no sense to me sometimes. FFXV sold nearly 2m on Xbox One, but then they went and sold timed exclusivity on multiple FF games and Project Athia to Sony, and now they seem like they are trying to get out of FF14 on Xbox as well. Add to that all of their other games that skip Xbox, it just leaves me shaking my head.

I guess you are overestimating it a bit. VGC has it just a bit above 1m. With digital sales taken into account it would probably end up in 1.5m range. It's actually not that great for a Final Fantasy game tbh. Especially if you have Sony that is willing to cover the losses of not releasing the game to such platform (at least, not initially).

MS isn't removing Gold for f2p cause of Fortnite only players. There is a lot of them.

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Attia was being bankrolled partially by Sony. As for XVI, it seems it's going to scale down significantly and act as a sort of reboot for the series. Now most of Squeenix's heavy hitting lineup is drying up, they seem more willing to cover themselves first and test the waters before doing something unusual. 

In other words, they won't release smaller titles for Xbox unless they see it's selling like bread. We get the only the big hitters.