By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

It seems like MS will start to announce more games that are years away. Everwild, Hellblade II and project MARA are probably a few years away. Hopefully this strategy doesn't come to bite then in the ass like it did with the XBO.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Hopefully Ninja Theory isn't spreading themselves too thin. While they did prove that they can make a AAA quality game with a small team on Hellblade 1, with a team of just 20 developers building it in 3 years, the game was only AAA in graphics and quality, not in size, at just 8-9 hours it's not a very big game at all. Hellblade 2 needs to be alot bigger if MS wants it to be truly competitive with Sony's God of War, preferably 3-4x that length, which likely means that they will need 60+ devs on that team, not 40. With just 120 devs right now, and 8 more job listings, spread across 3 game projects plus their R&D project, I really wonder if they can pull off the truly AAA experience that Hellblade 2 needs to be.

No one at MS or Ninja Theory ever hinted at a huge AAA game. Only the fans seems to expect a GOW type of game simply because they share some themes.

In the video, NT emphasizes how small their teams are and it's pretty obvious they're only interested in smaller AA games.

I just want Ninja to make traditional single player games in the future, I’m talking DMC, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved. Length of a game doesn’t really matter just look at DMC V that game is 14-16 hours long.

Ryuu96 said:
Layoffs happening at Playful, having to significantly reduce their full time staff, I guess that puts to bed the rumour that they are working on a Xbox IP, looks like Super Lucky's Tale for Switch reviewed well too which is a shame, Microsoft should step in and give them one of their many dead platformers.

Double Fine on Conker with Gory Detail.
Playful on Banjo with Rare.

Wonder what happened, they moved to a pretty big building and last I heard they were expanding.

shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:
It seems like MS will start to announce more games that are years away. Everwild, Hellblade II and project MARA are probably a few years away. Hopefully this strategy doesn't come to bite then in the ass like it did with the XBO.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this strategy at all. I prefer short announce to release cycles, the usual 6 month cycles for games like CoD, Assassin's Creed, Forza Horizon 2-4 and Fallout 4 were great for me. I wish more publishers did that instead of announcing 1-3 years in advance, with half of them delaying their games at the last minute, making the waits even longer.

I agree from a personal, gaming perspective. But ultimately, they need to demonstrate from before launch that the Xbox Series is going to have some serious and high profile exclusives on an ongoing basis. That these new studios and partnerships are going to bring content on a major scale. Unfortunately, the timing of the studios being obtained doesnt quite line up with the launch or even first year anniversary of Series. The main thing for me is they routinely release good exclusives, even if they're not the ones I am (now) most anticipating.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

New Project by Ninja Theory shows pretty well how MS changed the last years. No way they could have worked on that some years ago under MS.

jason1637 said:

Sony has been doing this for years, generations even. And their fans love them for it. Its an opportunity to write long lists of games in forums, despite being years away and not knowing anything about them. 

I say fight fire with fire.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:
DeusXmachina said:

No one at MS or Ninja Theory ever hinted at a huge AAA game. Only the fans seems to expect a GOW type of game simply because they share some themes.

In the video, NT emphasizes how small their teams are and it's pretty obvious they're only interested in smaller AA games.

I know, I'm just saying that they probably should increase the scope of the game if they want to meet the expectations that many seem to have.

They should do whatever they planned to do and not let fan expectations alter their vision.

They seem interested in exploring mental illness and i assume that's better potrayed in a smaller, focused, 10 hour game rather a huge game filled with side missions and rpg mechanics.

Personally, I like games being announced shortly before release, and I think we have enough evidence to show that this is generally a good strategy for individual games as well. That said, I totally understand the counter-argument of a platform holder, who's trying to sell hardware, and subscriptions to say it benefits them more, holistically, to give people a larger insight into the content they're producing. This is particularly true for MS, who's gotten the "show, don't tell" response from many a sceptical gamer, even after all their studio purchases. It's important for MS to be able to show those people that yes, they do have a lot of things in production, both short, and long term, as well as demonstrating a great variety in the type of experiences they aim to provide.

I voted it depends. If it's an abandoned IP then announce it early for hype.