By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

Thinking on those announced and releasing in 2021 hints that Jez is saying, it has to be either Starfield, Wolfenstein III or Forza Motorsport unless we're being very loose with the word big.

Imo, if it's Starfield or Wolfenstein III then the unannounced project will be XGP's AAA that was listed on one of their Linkedin's

Could have Starfield in Fall and Wolfenstein III in Spring or vice versa, I also will say again that they should start releasing Forza titles in Spring too.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
shikamaru317 said:

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that inXile are doing the KOTOR game:

• Schreier said it was a studio nobody would guess, who would have guessed inXile?
  • Shinobi said the studio isn't a household name for the average gamer, which matches with inXile, their past RPG's have sold a few million copies at most, certainly they aren't as popular or well known as Bethesda, Bioware, CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, or even Obsidian, as far as WRPG studios go
  • inXile's first AAA project has been in the planning stage since MS acquired them in mid 2018, not long after it was first rumored that EA and Disney had a falling out over the Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy and the cancellation of Project Ragtag (Visceral's Amy Hennig Star Wars game) and it's subsequent EA Vancouver successor project. It's possible that Disney dropped the EA exclusivity at that time or shortly thereafter, and we're only just learning about it now because Ubisoft was the first to announce their Star Wars project even though inXile's has been in the works for longer
  • inXile's first AAA project seemed to enter development around the same time that the KOTOR reboot first leaked, about a year ago
  • inXile seems to have 2 AAA projects in development now, their new studio is certainly large enough to house 2 AAA teams with some support from the much smaller New Orleans studio, and job listings indicate 2 separate AAA projects
  • One AAA project seems to be a first person shooter RPG, possibly the Steampunk one that Chad Moore is rumored to be directing (as Chad has FPS experience, having previously worked at Treyarch on CoD). That project is using Unreal 5 and seems to be the one that Brian said had just entered the infancy of pre-production back in September.
  • The other AAA project is an action RPG based on job listings and seems to have the God of War (2018) Senior Combat Designer as it's Lead Combat Designer, possibly indicating 3rd person. Like the other project it is using Unreal 5. Considering it was in development longer than the 1st person project, it makes more sense that this would be the KOTOR reboot that has been rumored for a year or so, and 3rd person action-RPG also lines up much closer with KOTOR than a first person shooter RPG.

Inxile is growing and their wasteland 3 was a success on metacritic, their recent hiring's of some high name devs for both those FPS game And this kotor 3 or reboot seem amazing hope some obsidian vets give inxile some pointers to this kotor.everyone said kotor 2 was better than kotor 1 story , kotor 2 would have a higher rating than kotor 1 if it were not for the bugs etc but the kotor 2 story from obsidian was beyond kotor 1 story .

Yeah, that is the beauty of letting inXile make it. Though Obsidian themselves are too busy to make a new KOTOR since they already have 6 projects in development (Outer Worlds DLC #2, Outer Worlds 2, Avowed, Grounded, Adler's project, and Sawyer's small project), Obsidian can give pointers to inXile and provide other assistance since they are both owned by MS. 

I also agree that KOTOR 2 is better than KOTOR 1, it's better in just about every way imo, from story to gameplay to character designs. If LucasArts hadn't forced them to release it with just 18 months of development in order to make the Holiday season, I definitely think it would have outreviewed KOTOR 1. The bugs badly hurt it, some of them were game breaking, the first time I played it the game broke on Nar Shaddaa and I was unable to progress any further. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 January 2021

dx11332sega said:
Ryuu96 said:

I would also mention that the rumours of them having a massive budget, bigger than even Playground Games and Obsidian who have more recent experience on AAA's than InXile does, plus that huge studio they upgraded to, does make more sense when you think it could be Star Wars IP rather than a New IP (That'd be a huge risk to take on a new IP with a studio that hasn't ever done a big production).

Of course Brian Fargo is an industry legend but it's still a risk that I reckon most would be wary about doing on a brand new IP but when you hear that it may be Star Wars you think, ah, that makes more sense.

Gotta post their beautiful new studio again.

Hope obsidian helps abit in this kotor everybody said kotor 2 story from obsidian was way better than kotor 1 story if kotor 2 didn't have glitches etc it would meta higher than kotor 1 by bioware , obsidian could help them me thinks few vets :)

Maybe they will, I'm not sure in how much capacity as Obsidian are extremely busy but they will likely offer some advice/tips if it is indeed what InXile is doing. Obsidian and InXile go way back, they're close friends. Brian Fargo used to essentially be 'Obsidians' boss back when they were Black Isle under Brian's Interplay, not exactly the same studio of course as Black Isle was eventually closed but Obsidian is made up of most of the veterans of Black Isle so they know each other well.

They also ran Fig together with Tim of Double Fine who worked at LucasArts of course, Brian is really well connected, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 January 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Thinking on those announced and releasing in 2021 hints that Jez is saying, it has to be either Starfield, Wolfenstein III or Forza Motorsport unless we're being very loose with the word big.

Imo, if it's Starfield or Wolfenstein III then the unannounced project will be XGP's AAA that was listed on one of their Linkedin's

Could have Starfield in Fall and Wolfenstein III in Spring or vice versa, I also will say again that they should start releasing Forza titles in Spring too.

I think it will be Starfield and Forza Horizon 5 or Wolfenstein 3 and Forza Horizon 5 personally. Motorsport reboot just can't be ready this year I think, they started from scratch and it will suffer from poor reviews like Motorsport 5 if they rush it out too soon, it only entered full production late 2019 afterall. 2 years isn't enough to build up a large enough car and track list to satisfy critics, even with the new tech they designed to speed up car and track creation, unless that new tech is pure magic and like doubles creation speed compared to how quickly they could create new cars and tracks in Motorsport 5-7. Horizon 5 can have more development time than Motorsport reboot assuming it is cross-gen on the old engine, and it covers the unannounced portion of Jez's tease, as it hasn't been announced yet like Starfield (via a teaser trailer) and Wolfenstein (by Pete Hines and the director saying it was in development in two separate interviews).

I suppose the AAA XGP game could be one of the 2 big 2021 games, but we're really not sure how long it has been in development for, whereas we know that a 2021 release would give Starfield 6 years of development, Wolfenstein 3 four year of development, and Horizon 5 three years of development. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 January 2021

It's funny how Interplay is worth $3m now, Phil could acquire that out of his own money as a birthday gift to Brian

I'm joking of course, Interplay sold all their IPs and have absolutely nothing worth it anymore.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 January 2021

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

It's funny how Interplay is worth $3m now, Phil could acquire that out of his own money as a birthday gift to Brian

I'm joking of course, Interplay sold all their IPs and have absolutely nothing worth it anymore.

Would be worth buying for the amount of buzz it would generate... 

Imagine rebuilding it from the ground up. Would be pretty cool. Not gonna happen though 

I couldn't care less about the Star Wars ip so i hope that's not Inxile's big game. I know of course that im in the minority here.

shikamaru317 said:

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that inXile are doing the KOTOR game:

• - snip -

A part of me appreciates some of those arguments FOR inXile KOTOR.  Another part wants to disregard them b/c of the chance of this not coming to fruition.

I'd be disappointed since the stars seem so well-aligned.

ironmanDX said:
Ryuu96 said:

Would be worth buying for the amount of buzz it would generate... 

Imagine rebuilding it from the ground up. Would be pretty cool. Not gonna happen though 

IIRC Brian Fargo actually wants to buy back Interplay, I think he just wants his creation back as they've sold all their IPs except Earthworm Jim.

Not sure how it would work though, if he'd run both InXile and Interplay or merge them.

DeusXmachina said:

I couldn't care less about the Star Wars ip so i hope that's not Inxile's big game. I know of course that im in the minority here.

Tbh I see where you're coming from as I don't particularly care much for Star Wars either, I mean, I enjoyed the movies but I'm not like "Omg Star Wars!" but I'll take more RPGs Plus it's nice to see Brian get a chance to work on something big again and they're working on 2 RPGs, if they remain 2-3 teams only then they could both be AAA's providing they expand enough.

coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

• - snip -

A part of me appreciates some of those arguments FOR inXile KOTOR.  Another part wants to disregard them b/c of the chance of this not coming to fruition.

I'd be disappointed since the stars seem so well-aligned.

Disregard it. It's all speculation anyway with no concrete rumours, better to be surprised than disappointed. I find the speculation fun but yeah I'm not 100% convinced yet.