The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that inXile are doing the KOTOR game:
- Schreier said it was a studio nobody would guess, who would have guessed inXile?
- Shinobi said the studio isn't a household name for the average gamer, which matches with inXile, their past RPG's have sold a few million copies at most, certainly they aren't as popular or well known as Bethesda, Bioware, CD Projekt Red, Blizzard, or even Obsidian, as far as WRPG studios go
- inXile's first AAA project has been in the planning stage since MS acquired them in mid 2018, not long after it was first rumored that EA and Disney had a falling out over the Battlefront 2 lootbox controversy and the cancellation of Project Ragtag (Visceral's Amy Hennig Star Wars game) and it's subsequent EA Vancouver successor project. It's possible that Disney dropped the EA exclusivity at that time or shortly thereafter, and we're only just learning about it now because Ubisoft was the first to announce their Star Wars project even though inXile's has been in the works for longer
- inXile's first AAA project seemed to enter development around the same time that the KOTOR reboot first leaked, about a year ago
- inXile seems to have 2 AAA projects in development now, their new studio is certainly large enough to house 2 AAA teams with some support from the much smaller New Orleans studio, and job listings indicate 2 separate AAA projects
- One AAA project seems to be a first person shooter RPG, possibly the Steampunk one that Chad Moore is rumored to be directing (as Chad has FPS experience, having previously worked at Treyarch on CoD). That project is using Unreal 5 and seems to be the one that Brian said had just entered the infancy of pre-production back in September.
- The other AAA project is an action RPG based on job listings and seems to have the God of War (2018) Senior Combat Designer as it's Lead Combat Designer, possibly indicating 3rd person. Like the other project it is using Unreal 5. Considering it was in development longer than the 1st person project, it makes more sense that this would be the KOTOR reboot that has been rumored for a year or so, and 3rd person action-RPG also lines up much closer with KOTOR than a first person shooter RPG.
Inxile is growing and their wasteland 3 was a success on metacritic, their recent hiring's of some high name devs for both those FPS game And this kotor 3 or reboot seem amazing hope some obsidian vets give inxile some pointers to this kotor.everyone said kotor 2 was better than kotor 1 story , kotor 2 would have a higher rating than kotor 1 if it were not for the bugs etc but the kotor 2 story from obsidian was beyond kotor 1 story .
Yeah, that is the beauty of letting inXile make it. Though Obsidian themselves are too busy to make a new KOTOR since they already have 6 projects in development (Outer Worlds DLC #2, Outer Worlds 2, Avowed, Grounded, Adler's project, and Sawyer's small project), Obsidian can give pointers to inXile and provide other assistance since they are both owned by MS.
I also agree that KOTOR 2 is better than KOTOR 1, it's better in just about every way imo, from story to gameplay to character designs. If LucasArts hadn't forced them to release it with just 18 months of development in order to make the Holiday season, I definitely think it would have outreviewed KOTOR 1. The bugs badly hurt it, some of them were game breaking, the first time I played it the game broke on Nar Shaddaa and I was unable to progress any further.
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 January 2021