By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - You're in charge of Xbox division. What would be your battle plan for Xbox Series X?

They just need to match or surpass Sony with the quality of their exclusives. Sounds easy enough, but Sony has a pretty big stable of quality teams and Sony also gives them the creative freedom to try new things. As long as MS keep clamping onto Gears, Halo and Forza, I don't see MS pulling it off next gen, but hey who knows.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

What would be your strategy for Xbox Series X in the upcoming console war if you were in charge?

Admit to myself that I dont believe a heavy multiplayer focus, works.
I'd make sure all the projects from 1st party side, made sure the focus was on the singleplayer and story telling aspects.
(3rd party is sitting to heavily on multiplayer aspects, you gain little yourself by being there as well)

Barbie, Voodoo vince (w. orginal assets), honey I shrunk the kids... ect.

That would all end, I'd rather have 1 big banger, than 5 AA middle of the pack, okayish games, heading for gamepass.

I'd want to gamble on western RPGs, at the very least.
If sony is associated with all the japanese ones, and you know its a issue for your platform.... make your own, western styled ones.

Basically Fable, and another new series atleast.
I'd make sure they where AAA quality, on pair with halo & gears.

*edit:
Banjo Kazoei is too beloved to just be left to slowly wither away.
Super Lucky's Tale, is fine, but its not.... up to par, with what a Banjo Kazoei would need to be.

Get it done, right.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 30 December 2019

Make new entries of old Xbox exclusive IP from third parties :
Otogi
N3
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden

Revive some Rare IP:
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazoei
A Kart Racer similar to Diddy Kong Racing.
Conker
Blast Corps With today open world and enviromental destruction.

Make a deal with Sega to make new games in forgoten ips:
Head Hunter (third person shoter adventure game)
Crazy Taxi
Space channel

Make Games like Warframe and Fornite truly free , no xbox gold subscription necesary.
Change the Backward compatibility programan to Legacy Games and make deals to ad other old systems too (Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, turbo graf, etc) and ad achievements too.

Sorry for my bad english.

You can't ask that kind of question here... VGChartz as an extremely toxic environment on anything Xbox. (4/16 Nasty comments in Microsoft discussion... Great job mobs)

Xbox Series X is already poise to be the heyday of the Xbox franchise. I don't think we really need to do anything else.

They need a great marketing message .... Check
They need an actual powerful system and image of power .... Check
They need more first party and more games .... Check
Backward compatibility from the start .... Check
Great subscription service that provide value to the customer ... Check
Affordability and mass appeal ... TBA (Cheaper console release with Series X and we don't know how much series X will cost)
They need key partnership with AAA .... Working progress but strong start (They have marketing rights for Cyberpunk 2077)

I think next gen will be great for Video games, Microsoft won't screw up like it did last gen and Sony really need to step up their game with PS5 in order to match everything Microsoft is doing for next gen.

I think it's pretty simple, really. Xbox needs to come in at the same relative power as PlayStation, but at a lower price, or at the same price but with a noticeable poweredge. beyond that, they need to make sure that all these Studios they're scooping up put out good quality games. That's really all it takes. That, and some time.

I know people like to talk about the lack of Xbox exclusives, because they're on PC. But, aside from hardcore gamers that hang out in gaming forms like this one, there is very little overlap between PC and console gaming. Console gamers choose between Xbox and PlayStation. They don't decide they're going to invest in a $1,500 gaming rig so they'll buy a PlayStation instead of an Xbox. That's just not how it works

with that said, there certainly is some amount of brand loyalty between PlayStation and Xbox. So, righting the ship for next generation is not going to mean Xbox outsells PlayStation. However, it should mean a significantly smaller spread between the two. And, frankly, I think it's a near certainty that the next generation will be better for Xbox.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
I think it's pretty simple, really. Xbox needs to come in at the same relative power as PlayStation, but at a lower price, or at the same price but with a noticeable poweredge. beyond that, they need to make sure that all these Studios they're scooping up put out good quality games. That's really all it takes. That, and some time.

I know people like to talk about the lack of Xbox exclusives, because they're on PC. But, aside from hardcore gamers that hang out in gaming forms like this one, there is very little overlap between PC and console gaming. Console gamers choose between Xbox and PlayStation. They don't decide they're going to invest in a $1,500 gaming rig so they'll buy a PlayStation instead of an Xbox. That's just not how it works

with that said, there certainly is some amount of brand loyalty between PlayStation and Xbox. So, righting the ship for next generation is not going to mean Xbox outsells PlayStation. However, it should mean a significantly smaller spread between the two. And, frankly, I think it's a near certainty that the next generation will be better for Xbox.

If Xbox as a definitive power edge they can release a premium console that slightly higher then PS5. It's actually better to price it $50-100 more then PS5 because customer will see it as your buying something that is better then the PS5 since it is more expensive. There is a constant rumor that Microsoft will have two consoles one for high-end (Xbox Series X) like myself that won't care about the price and only concern with the release date. A console that can it 1080P that can have mass market friendly pricing for those that are on a budget. 

In a scenario that Xbox Series S is $399 - PS5 is $499 - Xbox Series X is $599, it would put Microsoft in a great position .... especially to capture both the casual market and high end console gamer that want top performance. Sony is already showing that they will simply use brand loyalty to retain most of their loyal customers.  EDIT (Xbox series S $299USD - PS5 $399USD - Xbox Series X $499)

I don't understand Sony current position they should of delayed Last of us 2 and make it a PS5 launch tilte and there claim "they can transition their community from PS4 to PS5 at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before", the PS4 and PS4 pro is simply too popular right now for every one that bought a console or upgrade in the last two year to all make the massive jump to PS5. 

Last edited by yvanjean - on 30 December 2019

yvanjean said:

You can't ask that kind of question here... VGChartz as an extremely toxic environment on anything Xbox. (4/16 Nasty comments in Microsoft discussion... Great job mobs)

Unfortunately somewhat true, hence why I started this thread hoping to get some constructive discussion happening, though I should've expected we'd get hit-and-run comments about how they should go third party.

We need to work on this if we're going to make VGChartz a more welcoming place for a broad range of gamers.

Revive Rare's intellectual properties
Make almost every first-party title exclusive to the Xbox Series X. If Windows releases occur, spread them out and make them less frequent.
More Japanese developed and published games. The Xbox 360 was the only Xbox that sold over a million units in Japan.
Rechargeable battery for the controller

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

*Make exclusive games again.
*Make exclusive Jrpgs again like they did in the early 360 days.

Bandorr said:
think-man said:
*Make exclusive games again.
*Make exclusive Jrpgs again like they did in the early 360 days.

I considered the "make exclusive JRPGs" before. How many do you think they have to make to draw in the "JRPG" fan base?

I don't recall the Xbox 360 library much. I googled up a list.  Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey.. and a bunch of not exclusives.

Eternal Sonata was exclusive - and then it wasn't.

Leaving me two points.  How many exclusive ones did the Xbox 360 have(real question).  And will they actually stay exclusive?

I went to do a quick look (googled jrpgs xb360):

Infinite Undiscovery
Final Fantasy XIII  (wasnt exclusive)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (wasnt exclusive)
NieR (wasnt exclusive)
The Last Remnant (was (not on ps3), I played it on PC)
Resonance of Fate (wasnt exclusive)
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata (wasnt exclusive)
Tales of Vesperia (wasnt exclusive)
Lost Odyssey
Record of Agarest War Zero (wasnt exclusive)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope  (wasnt exclusive)
Enchanted Arms (wasnt exclusive)
MagnaCarta 2
Pier Solar and the Great Architects (wasnt exclusive)
ect ect ect...

It had like 4-5 good JRPGs, atleast that were exclusives.
Stuff like that might be enough to get someone to buy a Xbox tbh.

Once you factor in stuff like Mass Effect, and other western RPGs, that might have been exclusives too.