Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were too good for their own good.

None for me.

Surprise, surprise, it's impossible to be at the top of the game always, and not all sequels will be better than their predecessors. And that's just fine.

Of course, that sort of thinking might sometimes get into the minds of developers, considering how toxic gamers can be, and derail the development - in the broader sense of the word - of some franchises.



 

 

 

 

 

Around the Network

Hiku said:

Well, I think a huge addition to not just Soul Calibur, but fighting games in general, came later in Online play functionality.
Fighting games are one of those genres that would probably sell a lot less than they already do nowadays, if there was no way to play vs other people online. Because they're generally considered difficult to learn. And for those who grew up with them since the beginning they probably don't have the same time and opportunity to get a couple of their friends together in the same room in person, like they used to back when they were kids.

Cyran said:
Suikoden series. The second was such an amazing game that the 3rd seem bad in comparison (even through I think it actually was a decent game but a huge drop off from the second). The 4th one was just bad don't think I ever finished it. Never played the 5th.

@Cyran 
I feel pretty much the same way. They tried some new things in 3 that were hit or miss. I liked being able to play from the perspective of different main characters. Especially as the badguys. But the friendly fire and support system in combat was wonky.
Although I really liked 5, as it reminded me a lot of 2, and it's my second favorite in the series.

I second this 100%

Another example for me its Chrono Trigger. It was (still is) the perfect RPG back then that Cross felt like a huge let down.



Metal gear solid



Suikoden 3 was awesome. One of my favorite RPGs ever. It had some excellent characters and I'll never forget the ending. Some of what it did made it unique and special among RPGs that mostly follow the same formula. I have to respect that. Unfortunately, other parts were ahead of their time and were failed by technology. Suikoden 3 is a game that would benefit greatly from being remade.

As far as games that kind of painted themselves into a corner, I'd say the first Disgaea. Not only were the characters simply awesome but the mechanics were exactly what they needed to be. Subsequent games tried to add all kinds of stuff and it just never clicked for me. It didn't need to be more complicated than it already was.



Farsala said:
Dynasty Warriors 3. It was the peak too early, all they had to do was keep making more just like it with slight improvements and they tried with DW4 and DW5. But then they actively made it worse with each entry, with the pit being DW6. It has been a slight incline ever since, but they still have yet to come even close to the peak again.

I partially agree, DW2 was ok, enough to get me interested but DW3 really improved upon everything making me a fan and I was very happy with 4 and 5 and picked up the Samurai Warriors games too. However, I was really let down by DW6 and that led to me mostly leaving the Warriors games alone (though I did really enjoy Warriors Orochi 2 on the PSP and sunk many hours into it).

But then recently, I found DW6 was on PS Now (which I was already subscribed to) and gave it a go. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, even though it killed most of my interest in these games. I'm sure it's still worse than other entries but I think I've probably become more relaxed about certain things and now I can get some enjoyment out of it at last.

Not sure if I'll try some of the other ones though.



Around the Network
Landale_Star said:
Farsala said:
Dynasty Warriors 3. It was the peak too early, all they had to do was keep making more just like it with slight improvements and they tried with DW4 and DW5. But then they actively made it worse with each entry, with the pit being DW6. It has been a slight incline ever since, but they still have yet to come even close to the peak again.

I partially agree, DW2 was ok, enough to get me interested but DW3 really improved upon everything making me a fan and I was very happy with 4 and 5 and picked up the Samurai Warriors games too. However, I was really let down by DW6 and that led to me mostly leaving the Warriors games alone (though I did really enjoy Warriors Orochi 2 on the PSP and sunk many hours into it).

But then recently, I found DW6 was on PS Now (which I was already subscribed to) and gave it a go. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, even though it killed most of my interest in these games. I'm sure it's still worse than other entries but I think I've probably become more relaxed about certain things and now I can get some enjoyment out of it at last.

Not sure if I'll try some of the other ones though.

That's basically my thing with Soul Calibur 6.  I didn't mean to just talk about bad sequels, but with some franchises, there's just nowhere to go with the gameplay so you get burnt out.  They're still perfectly fine games, but it's just hard to stay invested.



Kind of feel this way about New Super Mario Bros. The first one, on DS, was a lot of fun. But Wii, NSMB2 and U didn't do much for me. I still finished them, because I think those are still very well made games and deserve to be given a chance. Still don't really enjoy any of them after the first though.

It's a small series, but Project Zero/Fatal Frame peaked at the second game for me. I rank it as one of my favourite survival horror games, 1 was decent and the sequels 3 and 5 (4 didn't get released in the west, but I hear it's bad) are ok, but they never felt as good.

It's pretty hard to think of more, I guess I agree with Soul Calibur, I loved the Dreamcast game, after that Soul Calibur 2 was a bit of a letdown, though Soul Calibur 3 did get me back into things, but since then I've barely touched the PSP game, 4, 5, don't even mention that free to play one and haven't even got 6 yet. Similar situation with Tekken, where it kind of peaked at Tekken 3 for me but I still enjoyed them as far as Tekken 5, before dropping out. But recently got back into it with 7 so maybe Soul Calibur 6 will win me over.

Command and Conquer peaked with Red Alert 2, even though I still played later games, I couldn't get into them nearly as much.



Landale_Star said:
Kind of feel this way about New Super Mario Bros. The first one, on DS, was a lot of fun. But Wii, NSMB2 and U didn't do much for me. I still finished them, because I think those are still very well made games and deserve to be given a chance. Still don't really enjoy any of them after the first though.

I had only played the Wii one, which was a ton of fun. And now I got the Wii U port on Switch and its kinda meh. I'm pretty disappointed in it. I played it then went to play the NES ones on the Switch and I was like man the NES games just feel so much better. I don't know if the NSMB games are just too similar so the fun kinda dissipates after you've already played through one game exactly like it or what. I mean if you look at all other Mario games 2D and 3D they only ones that are at all similar (at least in the West where SMB2 was a whole different game, but in Japan it was basically an updated SMB1) outside of the NSMB series is Galaxy and Galaxy 2. NSMB just feels played out now. The DS and Wii ones were so good but got stale after those initial ones, they definitely need to launch a new Mario 2D series, unless they are just gonna have Mario Maker be the 2D series now, but I sure hope they create a fresh 2D series.

S.Peelman said:
Not an early game in the series, but I’m afraid that Smash Ultimate will suffer from this. With so much content and ‘everyone is her’ plus more, where can they go for Smash 6?

Yeah I feel the same about Smash. Smash has been incredible since Melee, which has been the standard bearer for the series up until Ultimate. So pretty much all they could do since Melee is tweak things, add online play, add more characters and content, and mess around with different kinds of single player modes. So mostly its just been about adding content and as the name suggests, the latest one is the Ultimate version for Smash content. They can't possibly add more characters, levels, etc than Ultimate has. I mean Ultimate already has too much - there is so much content it is kinda even hard to play the game, like even just trying to find a specific level is hard! Listening to the creators when the game came out, it seemed to me they were saying they know they have to change the series after Ultimate in some way because they've literally done the Ultimate version of what Smash has been going towards since its inception. With how popular Smash is I can't imagine they'll skip releasing a new one next gen, but I also can't imagine they continue on with the same style that they've already done the ultimate version of.



FF7, I couldnt get into Final Fantasy since.



Cyran said:
Hiku said:

Well, I think a huge addition to not just Soul Calibur, but fighting games in general, came later in Online play functionality.
Fighting games are one of those genres that would probably sell a lot less than they already do nowadays, if there was no way to play vs other people online. Because they're generally considered difficult to learn. And for those who grew up with them since the beginning they probably don't have the same time and opportunity to get a couple of their friends together in the same room in person, like they used to back when they were kids.

@Cyran 
I feel pretty much the same way. They tried some new things in 3 that were hit or miss. I liked being able to play from the perspective of different main characters. Especially as the badguys. But the friendly fire and support system in combat was wonky.
Although I really liked 5, as it reminded me a lot of 2, and it's my second favorite in the series.

I might have to give 5 a try at some point then.  I liked the first one a lot and you saying you liked the 5th more.  My only fear is as I get older my patience for JRPG is not what it use to be.  I finished Dragon quest 11 but other then that it been awhile since I made it through one.

Hehe i get that,i'm currently playing persona 5 and whenever i'm losing a fight even when i came in full prepared i always feel like wasting time.(great game btw)