By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will move forward with a Switch family of consoles in the same way MS is claiming they will handle XBox...

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

In 2022 it should be very easy to surpass the ps4's ram and cpu while also matching the x1x's gpu raw power in docked mode.

With what exactly? What would the portable mode run at? 

Just like the switch, everything will be the same except for the gpu being downclocked to 25-40% (depends on wheter nintendo uses a 1080 or 1440p screen).

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:

So you think that just because the situation on the market hasn't changed in favor of Microsoft, they haven't benefitted from releasing One X in any way from business side of things? Okay, then

The main indicator which is the performance and situation of the companies on the market objectively shows and backs my point fact is the "choice" as you put it has done sod all to change anything in the market for them neither you nor anyone peddling the view you're arguing has shown anything that says otherwise.

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

With what exactly? What would the portable mode run at? 

Just like the switch, everything will be the same except for the gpu being downclocked to 25-40% (depends on wheter nintendo uses a 1080 or 1440p screen).

Yer but what in 2022, will be able to output 6TFLOPs for a portable chip?

Xavier is only 0.85 or so @15W. I can't see a huge jump from that to anywhere close to 6 in the next 2 years.

Called it last year already, where I was expecting a Switch phone (an all-digital Switch/Smartphone hybrid)

There seems to be some confusion here, so let me clarify. This is not a prediction about small incremental upgrades, but rather the way the Switch family of consoles will evolve down the line. For example, a full blown Switch 2 falls in line so long as what I mention in my OP still comes into fruition.

Key points...

Full BC for OG Switch.
Same eshop with digital purchases carrying over.
Same core hybrid concept and execution.
Innovation being done by add ons like Labo and Ring Fit rather than basing the console around it.

A "next gen leap in power" can still happen and remain part of the Switch family. Be it closer small upgrades or bigger and more spread out leaps in power, the end result is the same for my prediction.  Also I believe that this pattern will continue for as long as dedicated hardware remains relevant for Nintendo.

Last edited by Shiken - on 28 December 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Lite + Original (+ $99 home) = Family of consoles.

Nintendo isn't going to follow the failed X/Pro approach.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

Yer but what in 2022, will be able to output 6TFLOPs for a portable chip?

Xavier is only 0.85 or so @15W. I can't see a huge jump from that to anywhere close to 6 in the next 2 years.

I'm talking about performance, not flops. If you want to use flops so much, just remember that nvidea gpus perform as well as amd gpus with many more flops. Xavier is 1.3-1.4 tflops as far as I know, which should perform like a 2.5-2.7 tflops gpu from amd. That's already around 50% more than ps4. If nvidea makes nintendo a 3-3.2 tflop gpu for the switch 2, it will match the raw performance of an xbox one x's gpu.

This thread is a little too familiar ...
Anyway, I don't think we need them to stick with the formula for too many gems in the coming, though I am expecting from them their next generation to be another "Super" iteration which lead to more power, full BC and some tweaks to the controllers

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Well, if I would guess:
-Not an iteration of switch. Same hybrid concept, but a new product. Different visual branding. Even with different controllers form (focusing more on ergonomy, for different modes of playing).
-VR included optionally, as a new way to 'switch'. Not just a game specific gimmick, but more like the PSVR.
-No more than 1080p screen
-Later, a new dock sold separately with a DLSS chip for super sampling after rendering with AI (like those used in RTX2080)
-Optional smaller joycon for a smaller form factor.
-

With the edit... I'm not really sure what exactly you're predicting. Just kind of seems like you're predicting there will be a follow up to the Switch which kind of seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't.