By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will move forward with a Switch family of consoles in the same way MS is claiming they will handle XBox...

Wyrdness said:
Ljink96 said:

lol, making something more widely used doesn't make that technology new. Guys come on. When I talk about something being new I'm talking about it at its base level as something that's really totally new. New in every sense of the word as in "not existing before". Touch screens existed before DS, Motion Controls existed before Wii, Hybrids existed before Switch. I mean, this can't be too hard of a concept to grasp. The "new" you guys are referring to is making it practical like I've sad numerous times before. 

If you have to ask me to give examples of past hybrid consoles then, no harm done...probably shouldn't be in this conversation. 

Except objectively they are doing something new regardless of how you choose to see it as the was no Wiimote before they did it, the was no hybrid form factor before they did it, the was no device like the DS before they did etc... You know what that means? They were new using anything in a new way is doing something new you're not arguing about doing something new your logic is now based on inventing something new which is a different concept entirely to innovation which is doing something new.

I asked to give an example of a device like the Switch to support your claim as so far I've found nothing of the sort if you can't give any examples then I have to take this claim as being false.

Haha, okay. I can't waste my time. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the Switch concept and name moving forward, considering how successful Switch is. I suspect we could see Switch 2 as early as 2021. 1st party games will likely release on both Switch 1 and Switch 2 for a few years, but 3rd party devs will have the option of releasing on Switch 2 only. That is the only way that Switch can keep getting 3rd party ports after development moves to PS5 and XSX. Switch 1 will just be too weak for it to be worth it for 3rd party devs to downgrade PS5/XSX games to run on Switch 1, but a Switch 2 that is close to XB1/PS4 specs might just be able to keep getting 3rd party multiplat support next gen. 

They are not releasing a successor after only 4-4.5 years, Switch isnt Wii U.

Just because AAA support will drop (already low to begin with) does not mean support will be bad.

The majority of support comes from indies, Japanese games, previous gen ports/remasters, retro titles, family/casual titles, free to play titles, etc. In other words A-AA titles and these type of games arent at risk of leaving by any notable amount.

How many day and date AAA games have come to Switch? Most are very late, outsourced ports so Switch could still get some downported PS4/XBO games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I agree the hybrid situation is here to stay. And I agree at least the next system will have Switch branding. Definitely don't think there will be regular iterations and Nintendo will turn the Switch into a PC type situation where you have all different level models. That is messy and I don't think anyone wants that. Video game systems are nice because you don't have to worry about that - you get a game for a system and you know it will run on it. There will be continue clear leaps from gen to gen, not merely upgrades to the original Switch. But the Switch concept will stay (though honestly I'm gonna only predict this for the next gen, I don't even wanna try to predict where video game systems might go a decade from now).

I think all Switch systems will be backwards compatible though yeah, but really like I said this just refers to the next generation. 10 years from now maybe it will be possible for Nintendo to be able to do something totally new and groundbreaking. Ya know like maybe it'll just be a lightweight pair of VR glasses, or maybe it'll just be a streaming service and a controller you buy like Stadia but done well, who the heck knows!

But for as long as "traditional" systems continue to exist yeah I think Nintendo will stick with the hybrid Switch concept and the Switch brand, full backwards compatibiity, but with clear generations.

I really hope the Nintendo online VC service next gen is just a continuation of the current one. I mean it doesn't make any sense to rebuild some retro games service, that would be bad for customers and cost Nintendo money. Now that they have a great VC model (much better than the VC from the Wii) it makes sense for them to just keep adding to it with more systems and games. A netflix of retro video games that continues across console generations.

I think Nintendo has found the perfect console setup, next gen I expect a Switch 2 with more power, backwards compatibility, the same membership VC service, hopefully much improved online play, some refinements and improvements to the hardware, and possibly the ability to do VR with it.

shikamaru317 said:
zorg1000 said:

Just because AAA support will drop (already low to begin with) does not mean support will be bad.

The majority of support comes from indies, Japanese games, previous gen ports/remasters, retro titles, family/casual titles, free to play titles, etc. In other words A-AA titles and these type of games arent at risk of leaving by any notable amount.

How many day and date AAA games have come to Switch? Most are very late, outsourced ports so Switch could still get some downported PS4/XBO games.

I don't think it will be a true successor though, something closer to a Pro console or a half gen step; think New Nintendo 3DS in terms of support, but with a bigger graphical leap over Switch 1 than New 3DS was over 3DS. Switch 1 will keep getting 1st and 2nd party support for years, the games will just have higher graphics versions on the Switch Pro/2. There will also be alot of JP 3rd party devs and indie devs that choose to continue supporting Switch 1 due to the large install base there that they won't want to ignore. 3rd party AAA western devs will just have the option of releasing only on the Pro/2, since Switch 1 ports just won't be financial feasible for them once development moves to XSX/PS5 as a baseline.

There is some evidence that suggests that Nintendo is working on something like I'm describing for 2021 or 2022.

That's an even worse idea. By the time this Switch Pro releases in 2021 the original model & Lite will have sold 70+ million so why would anybody release games exclusively for that model?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

shikamaru317 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the Switch concept and name moving forward, considering how successful Switch is. I suspect we could see Switch 2 as early as 2021. 1st party games will likely release on both Switch 1 and Switch 2 for a few years, but 3rd party devs will have the option of releasing on Switch 2 only. That is the only way that Switch can keep getting 3rd party ports after development moves to PS5 and XSX. Switch 1 will just be too weak for it to be worth it for 3rd party devs to downgrade PS5/XSX games to run on Switch 1, but a Switch 2 that is close to XB1/PS4 specs might just be able to keep getting 3rd party multiplat support next gen. 

People really need to forget this idea that switch is in any hurry because of the ps5 and xsx. Both will be much more expensive than a switch and it won't be untill 2022 that multiplats development fully move away from ps4 as the base. By that point the switch 2 will be coming anyway and that's the system that will compete with those.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah agreed. Expect Switch 2 in 2023, Nintendo isn't gonna try to kill off loads of free profit by releasing a new system well before Switch is ready to go. AAA support is on Switch is essentially nonexistent except a handful of like 4 to 8 year old games. So Switch won't be losing any AAA support from the new consoles.  A-AA support will continue because of Switch's massive install base and generally those games don't use the most amazing graphics currently possible.

Also, it wouldn't make sense to make a 2021 Switch 2 to garner 3rd party support from PS5/XboxSeries games because a Switch that releases in 2021 wouldn't be strong enough to even handle downgraded ports from those systems. A 2023 Switch just might be able to handle decent graphically downgraded versions of games that come out on systems that came out 3 years prior.

I think a good strategy for the next gen for Nintendo is to bring a system that has enough power to do a good job of handling downgraded version of PS5/XboxSeries games so that 3rd parties could port over new games to the Switch simply by making reasonable compromises. With all the money they'll make off this gen, they could possibly put out a system at that power level, sell it at a small loss at the start instead of a small profit in order to still make it affordable, pick up way more AAA 3rd party support, and continue the success of the Switch. Then again maybe they like the fact that first party sales dominate their system haha.

The only way the will ever be a pro model is if they employ the same strategy as the GB to GBC where the pro model is treated as a successor to extend the life of the platform and even then the GBC came 9 years after the GB's launch so such an approach if it was used would not see a pro model for a good number of years so either way no successor or pro model is coming in 2021 if anything we likely won't see any release of such until 2023.

Slownenberg said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah agreed. Expect Switch 2 in 2023, Nintendo isn't gonna try to kill off loads of free profit by releasing a new system well before Switch is ready to go. AAA support is on Switch is essentially nonexistent except a handful of like 4 to 8 year old games. So Switch won't be losing any AAA support from the new consoles.  A-AA support will continue because of Switch's massive install base and generally those games don't use the most amazing graphics currently possible.

Also, it wouldn't make sense to make a 2021 Switch 2 to garner 3rd party support from PS5/XboxSeries games because a Switch that releases in 2021 wouldn't be strong enough to even handle downgraded ports from those systems. A 2023 Switch just might be able to handle decent graphically downgraded versions of games that come out on systems that came out 3 years prior.

I think a good strategy for the next gen for Nintendo is to bring a system that has enough power to do a good job of handling downgraded version of PS5/XboxSeries games so that 3rd parties could port over new games to the Switch simply by making reasonable compromises. With all the money they'll make off this gen, they could possibly put out a system at that power level, sell it at a small loss at the start instead of a small profit in order to still make it affordable, pick up way more AAA 3rd party support, and continue the success of the Switch. Then again maybe they like the fact that first party sales dominate their system haha.

Even if Switch 2 isnt able to get much of the AAA PS5/XSX games it will be able to get ports of a ton of the PS4/XBO games that skipped Switch 1.

I think a Pro model will release in 2021. But it'll just be a different version of the same system, like the Lite. It isn't gonna run different games, that would be stupid. It'll just run the current games with better resolution or better fps. I could totally see them dropping the Lite and OG Switch to like $180 and $240 or something and then coming out with the Pro at $300 so they maintain that higher price point for people who are willing to pay a premium to get the best version (and because there are always a certain amount of nintendo fans who will double dip on the same system to get the different versions).

zorg1000 said:

Even if Switch 2 isnt able to get much of the AAA PS5/XSX games it will be able to get ports of a ton of the PS4/XBO games that skipped Switch 1.

Yeah true. Rather than seeing a bunch of Wii U to Switch ports, we'll probably be seeing a bunch of PS4/XBO to Switch 2 ports. Switch 2 should be able to run those games with zero compromises.