By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo Switch" should be Nintendo's official game platform brand

Didn't really work with the Wii. And Nintendo's not really like its competitors, they tend to like to start fresh and pivot with their marketing with most of their consoles. I think with the Switch they could perhaps get away with one more new platform under the Switch name, as it is part handheld and they've pulled that off far more successfully with their handheld line. But really I don't see that working indefinitely going forward. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance. That's something people should remember when they talk about confusion regarding the Wii U. The market had no problem in understanding what each Game Boy was, so the myth that the name "Wii U" was confusing needs to die.

The actual confusing part about the Wii U that stumped people is that Nintendo went backwards instead of forward. Nintendo ditched the motion controller after the successful Wii and instead pitched an evolution of the GameCube, because the Gamepad of the Wii U is the GC to GBA connectivity built into a single console. Nintendo tried to cover that up by naming the console Wii U, but the market didn't have problems to notice that the Wii U was nothing like the Wii. That's why the Wii U sold so bad.

People on gaming forums still like to tell the story of the Wii U selling badly because the market didn't understand what it is, but they have it upside down. The market did understand what the Wii U is and that is that it was not a proper successor to the Wii. Compare the situation to the Game Boy Advance where one can argue that it sounds like another revision of the Game Boy instead of a next generation system, but the GBA sold like mad. Why is that? Because the GBA was an evolution of the Game Boy, so a better console based on the things that people liked about the Game Boy. Conversely, the Wii U was absolutely not a better Wii, the most obvious giveaway being that the Wii U didn't have a motion controller.

In regards to "Super" specifically, the Super NES didn't suffer from confusion either. It's for the same reason why the GBA didn't suffer.

To be fair things like Pocket, Color, Advance, Super describe what is different unlike U.

Pocket=smaller

Color=not black and white

Advance/Super=more power

U=?????

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No. I think it is a bad idea. They tried that with the Wii brand and it backfired spectacularly. Nintendo is the brand. Gaming is their core business. It's not as if the company name is used predominantly on a different type of product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Bahh...

In the next cycle just give me a Nintendo Super Switch.

Much better name than the retarded Playstation Pro, what’s so professional about it? it’s a videogame console.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

To be fair things like Pocket, Color, Advance, Super describe what is different unlike U.

Pocket=smaller

Advance/Super=more power

U=?????

The "i" in DSi didn't describe anything, but that wasn't a problem for sales. "SP" for the GBA was similarly obscure.

It's much less about the name as it is about people caring. The name can be pretty random and it doesn't matter because consoles aren't overly complicated devices that require research beyond a few minutes.

People could inform themselves about the Wii U and it didn't take long for them to conclude that the console sucks. That's what did the Wii U in, not its name. A parallel can be drawn to the PlayStation Vita, but it's a lot less prevalent that somebody mentions its name as a reason why it failed.

I think the "i" is an "eye": the camera. At least that's how I always took the name.

But I agree with your point,  the name isn't overly important and wasn't really a factor in the WiiU's demise.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Pocket=smaller

Advance/Super=more power

U=?????

The "i" in DSi didn't describe anything, but that wasn't a problem for sales. "SP" for the GBA was similarly obscure.

It's much less about the name as it is about people caring. The name can be pretty random and it doesn't matter because consoles aren't overly complicated devices that require research beyond a few minutes.

People could inform themselves about the Wii U and it didn't take long for them to conclude that the console sucks. That's what did the Wii U in, not its name. A parallel can be drawn to the PlayStation Vita, but it's a lot less prevalent that somebody mentions its name as a reason why it failed.

Good point

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
RolStoppable said:

I think the "i" is an "eye": the camera. At least that's how I always took the name.

But I agree with your point,  the name isn't overly important and wasn't really a factor in the WiiU's demise.

I also remember the eye marketing term, but apparently they also meant it as in I

· The "i" is symbolic of the subject "I" and its personal aspect.

· Plus, the addition of two cameras gives the system its own "eye" on things.

"Nintendo hope that the Nintendo DSi becomes more than a game system and more of a personal tool to enrich our daily lives"

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/handhelds/what-does-the-i-in-ipod-and-dsi-mean-534928

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"