By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W50, 2019 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Let's hope for a 300k next week.

Around the Network

39 Switch related items on Amazon JP top 50 even after 10k yen PS4 price cut promotion.

So true. What are the monster franchises outside of Nintendo first party? Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest?

While Nintendo-only monster franchises in Japan are: Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing. And maybe Mario as well.

And with Dragon Quest finally hitting the Switch and I can only assume being developed with Nintendo's systems first in mind from here on out, the only mega japanese selling franchise they are missing is Monster Hunter. It'll be interesting to see if Switch starts being the target for Monster Hunter or if Capcom sticks with wanting to sacrifice sales to make the most powerful game they can make.

PS4 has Persona that is the best JRPG at the moment. Pretty sure if it was a Nintendo game the fans would boost about it every day. 

youngbr said:

So true. What are the monster franchises outside of Nintendo first party? Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest?

While Nintendo-only monster franchises in Japan are: Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing. And maybe Mario as well.

And with Dragon Quest finally hitting the Switch and I can only assume being developed with Nintendo's systems first in mind from here on out, the only mega japanese selling franchise they are missing is Monster Hunter. It'll be interesting to see if Switch starts being the target for Monster Hunter or if Capcom sticks with wanting to sacrifice sales to make the most powerful game they can make.

PS4 has Persona that is the best JRPG at the moment. Pretty sure if it was a Nintendo game the fans would boost about it every day. 

He wasnt talking about personal opinions, just sale potential  

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

It's not like portability is the only factor at play though.

The other big one is the games. You can't play Splatoon 2, Smash Bros Ultimate, or Pokemon Sword/Shield on Playstation 4.

Yeah, Switch ultimately just has more games that the Japanese are super into than the PS4 does. Just look at the software charts, they're dominated by Switch titles.

As to how much longer Capcom is going to foolishly persist in keeping Monster Hunter off Switch, that's anyone's guess at this point, they've continually dropped the ball for the past two and half years in terms of taking advantage of Switch's meteoric success.

Around the Network
youngbr said:

Best in sales? Persona? OK

youngbr said:

Switch has JRPGs of its own; Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler, DQ11 Definitive Edition.

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

It's not like portability is the only factor at play though.

The other big one is the games. You can't play Splatoon 2, Smash Bros Ultimate, or Pokemon Sword/Shield on Playstation 4.

How exactly would Capcom be sacrificing sales whenever their first PS4 Monster Hunter destroyed every sales record that the company has? Seems like continuing their current strategy would be the most logical option lol.

Dragon Quest XI also did very well on PS4 too. I don't doubt that the next DQ will also be multiplatform, but PS4 was much more successfully on software front in Japan than the PS3. The poor performance this year shouldn't completely erase all of that (even though KH3 did well).

Last edited by outlawauron - on 24 December 2019

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Slownenberg said:

How exactly would Capcom be sacrificing sales whenever their first PS4 Monster Hunter destroyed every sales record that the company has? Seems like continuing their current strategy would be the most logical option lol.

Dragon Quest XI also did very well on PS4 too. I don't doubt that the next DQ will also be multiplatform, but PS4 was much more successfully on software front in Japan than the PS3.

While I agree that building on World's success on Playstation is a no brainer, I don't think it makes logical sense for them not to also take advantage of Switch by tapping into that base as well. Ideal scenario from here on would be to move the World team onto World 2 for PS5 (they're probably already working on it) while getting the Generations team to whip up a new Switch MH. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 December 2019

outlawauron said:
Slownenberg said:

Dragon Quest XI also did very well on PS4 too. I don't doubt that the next DQ will also be multiplatform, but PS4 was much more successfully on software front in Japan than the PS3. The poor performance this year shouldn't completely erase all of that (even though KH3 did well).

Honestly I just today saw that World had sold like 14 million. I had no idea the game was so popular outside of Japan. Given that it does make sense to release future ones on both PS5 and Switch, but like a full Switch version, not some horribly broken version of the game and not some side game. It'd be stupid to not give Switch a full version considering that it dominates Japan and MH is one of the few mega franchises in Japan. Even just building the same game in parallel for each system, giving full resources to each system, would make sense, as the Switch version would pick up millions in Japan and elsewhere, while the PS5 version would sell very well in the west.