By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official March NPD Thread

@BKK2: Another small but possible interesting piece of information is a remark in this article by Matt about The Conduit:

"Just ask Activision, which gambled that Guitar Hero 3 for Wii would be a success, despite the fact that the genre was yet-unproven on Nintendo's console. Two million in sales later, the music title has sold better on Wii than it has for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360."

So Guitar Hero 3 (Wii) LTD reached 2M and is now bigger than Guitar Hero 3 (360) LTD

Around the Network

Does anyone have historical info for biggest non-holiday months? Wii and DS this month both must be up there.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

GBA: Jun 01: 870k (Launch month)
GBA: Mar 03: 697k
PS2: Jun 02: 690k

@Happy Squirel

in UK its the opposite..

PS3 shelf space is increasing, n its actually eating into the space for PSP..

as the Ps brand in GAME is in 1 section (at the front)..so the GTA IV boxes there make it seem Ps3 exclusive as well..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wow, VGChartz under tracked the Wii and over tracked the Xbox 360 and PS3. The final result is that the Wii outsold the PS3 and 360 combined with nearly 200,000 units to spare.

PS3/360 sales are still decent for this time of the year, but they don't look nearly as good when they sell 260K instead of 360K.

Around the Network

Hardware sales make sense on VGC, we just have more sales in Jan for DS/Wii than NPD, NPD has more sales for DS/Wii in March. Same is true for the other platforms in varying combinations.

Atson - From what I've been able to find PS2 hit 690k after it dropped to $200 in June 2002. Wii hasn't had a price cut and it beat that in a non-holiday month. GBA launched higher than Wii sold this month, but launch/holiday demand don't really count if you ask me. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

bluesinG said:
Griffin said:
bluesinG said:

The PS3 is currently in stock at...

amazon.com
barnesandnoble.com
bestbuy.com
buy.com
circuitcity.com
gamestop.com
newegg.com
toysrus.com
walmart.com

...just to name a few places. Of course, the average consumer has probably never heard of any of these specialty retailers.

We are talking about 80gb units, which are sold out and will not hit stores until June last i heard when the MGS4 bundle will hit.

So you're claiming that hundreds of thousands of people are in the process of waiting 2 months so that they can pay $50 extra and get a larger hard drive?

Well alot of my friends am

Someone please tell me where to find the npd slaes data for games i have been looking for like the past mounth and still cant fin dit

If the PS3 shelf space is growing, it is not because it is eating the Wii's. It is eating the 360's or PSP's.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

BKK2 said:
GBA: Jun 01: 870k (Launch month)
GBA: Mar 03: 697k
PS2: Jun 02: 690k

So... That means that DS and Wii just had the two biggest months ever outside of holidays or launches...

!?!?!

I assume March 03 and June 02 were 5-week months... But now I wonder if there are some 4-week months with better weekly sales.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.