By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official March NPD Thread

WOA ridiculous numbers for Brawl, Wii, and DS. This is just an amazing moment for Nintendo, lol its insane.

And better times to come in April and May.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Koffieboon, that (360 & PS3) sales were down in March over February is not surprising.

WII: Feb 07: 335k Mar 07: 259k -23%
360: Feb 07: 228k Mar 07: 199k -13%
PS3: Feb 07: 127k Mar 07: 130k +2%

koffieboon said:
BKK2 said:
MS PR:

Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickledown effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the “Grand Theft Auto IV” launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year’s most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it’s the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Link

They come up with the lifetime revenue thing again? Don't these guys at least get paid to think up some new stuff, this is getting old quick...

Well it is spin for sure, but bringing in the most money is important for a business is it not?  Now notice they aren't talking the biggest profit...

Wii is amazing the way it flies off shelves.  360 is not slowing down, despite what the masses on this board say.  PS3 is doing fine, and it's impressive considering its start.

3 winners here.  April and May will be quite interesting to see the GTA effect, and June will be interesting to see if MGS moves consoles significantly (though I'm in the camp that says it won't really - I still think we'll see a large percentage of  hardcore Sony fan who loves MGS has already gotten one). 

These numbers are just good for all gamers on all 3 consoles, as they have been from October on. 

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

DonWii said:

Oh NO THEY DIDN'T

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=391

Another disastrous month for Microsoft and Nintendo as the Playstation Family(TM) once again stretches its legs and continues to build upon its unassailable lead over the competition.

More commentary and reflection to follow but for now enjoy the numbers. We certainly did.

Hardware Mar-08

PlayStation Family 730K
Wii 721K
Nintendo DS 698K
Xbox 360 262K

This SDF response is hilarious!

Teh Playstation family still ahead of the next-gen consoles! lol

Another disasterous month for Microsoft and Nintendo...! haha

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Didn't NDP release more than a top 10? Also where is there going to be the usual VGC/NDP comparison chart.

imo this was VGC best month for Software.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

One should note Microsoft's slow progression, however. I've certainly noted it. Over the last 9 months, NPD reports have gone from:

1) More software revenue this month than the PS3 and Wii combined

2) More software revenue this month than either the PS3 or Wii

3) Most total revenue, including HW and software, this month

4) Most total revenue LTD

If you don't believe me, please check back -- all of these claims have been made in quick succession. This tells me that most likely, this has happened, using the same numbers from above to avoid confusion:

1) The 360 was dominating LTD hardware and monthly software by a wide margin

2) PS3 + Wii combined software sales began outselling 360 software sales on a month-to-month basis

3) Wii software began outselling 360 software in terms of units sold, but the average price of each game was cheaper, so revenue was used instead

4) This month (for what I believe is the first time, but perhaps the second), Wii software outsold 360 software in terms of units sold and monthly revenue.

And yet, 360 software continues to sell very strongly, and the 360 sold more units than the PS3 this month, with a very strong, 360-only GTA IV campaign coming up next month, that I personally have a good amount of faith in. In short, while the Wii rampaged over everyone, the 360 and PS3 both really did have strong months in historical perspective. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

@fastyxx: Yes, revenue is important, although not nearly as important as profits. But my real issue isn't the use of revenues, it is the use of lifetime revenues in a press statement about the sales in march.

@many people: Thanks for providing the LTD numbers, 1.1M in 3 months is still a big gap, but given this month's numbers it might just be possible

@BKK2: Maybe sales from 2007 don't provide a good picture, at least 1 data point isn't enough to see a trend. I do know Wii was completely supply constrained and PS3's sales kept falling in the months afterwards after fulfilling the demand from launch. So that only leaves 360 as a possible indication of decreasing sales from February to March, but it might just as well be caused by game releases and other announcements.

does this mean brawl could be near 5 million right now?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

BCNR34 said:
zeross said:
360 > ps3 ?

er...no

er...yes, way to go calling that one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279520

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.