By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official March NPD Thread

They have to outsell 360 by 300k+ every month since February, and I believe they have(on average, with this month).

If I recall correctly.

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by both PS3 and 360. They did about the same numbers as last month, but had 1 more week to sell. And its not like there wasn't any new software released when looking at the charts. Of course GTA IV will be released next month so sales will go up then, but still they can't be too happy about it.

I guess Reggies statement about Wii passing 360 in the US by June has become a lot more viable now, they almost closed the gap by 500k in 1 month. Does anybody have those LTDs lying around?

Actually, they dropped on a weekly basis since Feb was a 4 week month and March was 5 weeks.

BKK2 said:
MS PR:

Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickledown effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the “Grand Theft Auto IV” launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year’s most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it’s the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Link

They come up with the lifetime revenue thing again? Don't these guys at least get paid to think up some new stuff, this is getting old quick...

MS PR calling out to gamerscore hoes for GTA4! :)

Bodhesatva said:

I don't think Sony in particular needs to do much artificial spinning here.

Yes, the Wii clobbered both the 360 and PS3 by ridiculous margins. Yes, the PS3 was outsold by the 360 by a tiny margin. Yes, week-on-week sales are down from last month.

But still, the PS3 sold more than twice as many units this March compared to last March. That's not crazy spin, that's truth, and it's a valuable truth. Most systems in the PS3's position at this point in a lifespan (i.e. third place by a sizable margin) are dying slow deaths, but that clearly isn't happening to the PS3.

The Voice of Reason is always a great thing around here.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

360: 9.9m
WII: 8.8m

@FishyJoe. I know about the week difference, that's why I am a bit surprised. I expected them to do better with the extra week.

koffieboon said:
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by both PS3 and 360. They did about the same numbers as last month, but had 1 more week to sell. And its not like there wasn't any new software released when looking at the charts. Of course GTA IV will be released next month so sales will go up then, but still they can't be too happy about it.

I guess Reggies statement about Wii passing 360 in the US by June has become a lot more viable now, they almost closed the gap by 500k in 1 month. Does anybody have those LTDs lying around?

360: 9.899.956
Wii: 8.796.959
PS3: 4.050.286

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Oh NO THEY DIDN'T

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=391

Another disastrous month for Microsoft and Nintendo as the Playstation Family(TM) once again stretches its legs and continues to build upon its unassailable lead over the competition.

More commentary and reflection to follow but for now enjoy the numbers. We certainly did.

Hardware Mar-08

PlayStation Family 730K
Wii 721K
Nintendo DS 698K
Xbox 360 262K

ioi said:

Guys, as always some numbers may be tweaked up and down in coming months but most figures look to line up reasonably well so I don't have any major issues with anything. Our top 10 software is made up of the same ten titles (albeit in a slightly different order) and with the exception of PS2 (which had an enormous drop in NPD data from last month) the hardware all lines up well - remember we were ~200k ahead of NPD for Wii and DS for Jan+Feb so these things do cancel out over time as I have made the point of previously.

So yeah, no major issues as far as I'm concerned.

The situation you have to put yourself in is one of an investor or publisher. If you were to look at our data and NPDs data and see that our figures are out weekly, 3-4 weeks before NPD and agree much more than any analyst or prediction model could agree with NPD then you see the value in our data.

If there are still people out there who expect a month to come along where all our hardware and all our software figures are identical to NPD then you are living in a dream world I'm afraid!!

QFT~

This deserves a bump to the next page, well said ioi. 

To Each Man, Responsibility