By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Senua's Saga: Hellblade II announced for Xbox: Series X

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

Look closely at it. Does it look like too good a leap over what's currently on the market? It is a leap (yes, leap), but people think it is pre-rendered CG and don't really seem to get what they're seeing here. Hint: your gameplay won't look much worse (if any) than that (the character model). Go back and review this gen's models then review Senua again. It is a natural progression with a device that is so much more powerful than current gen machines (all of them, including the X1X). 

The environments are better than what you'll get, but they were very clever in mixing that stuff in there with her model. Just.....keep watch. ;)

Do you have a comparison between the two Hellblade games? 

Rewatching the trailer one big thing I noticed that I didn't before is how good the mouth movements were compared to what I've seen in games. It feels more realistic. Plus that detail inside her mouth. It isn't something developers have done before. I thought Arthur Morgan in RDR2 on PC looked amazing, but what was shown in this trailer is a big leap forward. That is if the final game looks as good as the trailer. 

If there is this much of a jump I can't wait to see footage from Halo Infinite. 

Hellblade (2017)

Hellblade II (2020)

Immediate instance of upgrade is her hair (something I told everyone would see massive improvements). Then, there is the skin. Much more natural with better SSS and absorption of lighting. Finally, her fibermesh eyelashes. In the original Hellblade, her eyelashes were planes strapped together. Here, it is using actual geometry to provide a flowy, realistic look (and should react to physics as well). Also, look closely at her teeth in the trailer.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 December 2019

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

So, let's chat...

What if I told you that this character model was not just an in-engine model? :P

I think my favorite part was actually just how good the inside of her mouth looked in the trailer. I know that's kind of a weird thing to focus on, but it always bugs me in games when characters speak and their teeth, tongue, etc all just look awful compared to how detailed the rest of their faces are. This is gonna be great

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

Do you have a comparison between the two Hellblade games? 

Rewatching the trailer one big thing I noticed that I didn't before is how good the mouth movements were compared to what I've seen in games. It feels more realistic. Plus that detail inside her mouth. It isn't something developers have done before. I thought Arthur Morgan in RDR2 on PC looked amazing, but what was shown in this trailer is a big leap forward. That is if the final game looks as good as the trailer. 

If there is this much of a jump I can't wait to see footage from Halo Infinite. 

Hellblade (2017)

Hellblade II (2020)

That really shows the huge leap in detail in her character. Next generation has me hyped if this becomes the standard in graphics. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Angelus said:
CGI-Quality said:

So, let's chat...

What if I told you that this character model was not just an in-engine model? :P

I think my favorite part was actually just how good the inside of her mouth looked in the trailer. I know that's kind of a weird thing to focus on, but it always bugs me in games when characters speak and their teeth, tongue, etc all just look awful compared to how detailed the rest of their faces are. This is gonna be great

I had the exact same thought. Feels like we are starting to enter movie CG level with the next generation. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Feels like we are starting to enter movie CG level with the next generation. 

I remember thinking that back in 2002 when I first saw Rogue Squadron II running on the Gamecube, and again when I first saw Gears of War running on 360.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Also (yes, I'm trying to get y'all hyped).... We're gonna revisit this thread in 2020...

Hellblade (2017)

-pic - (reserved)

Hellbale II (2020)

In short, y'all have no idea just how much of a beast the Series X will be, but if you're wanting to really get into this tech stuff (or continue your learning), you're in for a treat with it!

Is it just me or as console graphics improve it becomes harder to discern the jump in quality from screenshots and trailers that you watch on a screen that is not running the game live. This game looks great. But it looks like any other 3D animation I watch on my laptop. I want to see it in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Feels like we are starting to enter movie CG level with the next generation. 

I remember thinking that back in 2002 when I first saw Rogue Squadron II running on the Gamecube, and again when I first saw Gears of War running on 360.

It has been a long while since I was blown away by a leap in graphics for a game. Nothing this generation really stood out as a huge leap like with Gears of War as you mentioned. I do remember being blown away by the leap from 2D to 3D. than again I was a kid when that happened. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

It has been a long while since I was blown away by a leap in graphics for a game. Nothing this generation really stood out as a huge leap like with Gears of War as you mentioned. I do remember being blown away by the leap from 2D to 3D. than again I was a kid when that happened. 

Yeah I feel exactly the same way, nothing this gen blew my mind the way Rogue Squadron II or Gears 1 did. About the closest I've gotten to that feeling since 2009 with Uncharted 2 was seeing games like, topically, Hellblade 1 running on Switch and being like "holy crap, how is this running on a handheld device?"

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

To me, we've had quite a few games this gen that were head-and-shoulders above anything the PS3 or 360 could do (The Order: 1886, Metro Exodus, and Death Stranding immediately come to mind). It's been quite the gen for visuals.

That said, you haven't seen anything yet.