By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X Announced (Xbox Scarlett)!

EricHiggin said:
Pemalite said:

From a PC perspective it would make sense to have a fan on the bottom pushing air and a fan on top pulling air, aka. "Push-Pull" fan configuration.

That would then make it like a wind tunnel... And is generally the preferred way you set up say... A PC heatsink fan configuration.

Hot air generally rises because of thermal expansion.

I.E. When you warm a gas (I.E. The air) that gas then expands and becomes lighter overall. - That then rises up and cooler denser air sinks down.

Push pull would likely be preferred yes, but more so if the fans were blowing down. If they are blowing up, sucking from the base, depending on how much pressure differential they are creating, and how close the base of the console sits to the floor, dust could certainly be an issue.

Thermal expansion, yes. As the air goes up it deals with less pressure and loses energy, making it cooler. When it's windy out though, depending on how windy, the hot air will mostly go sideways, but also up. The difference is an open space is quite a bit different than an enclosed, if not sealed space. Not to mention controlled vs constant variation. An enclosed controlled console, in an enclosed controlled building, with fans blowing down through the console, will receive little to no thermal expansion resistance. The entire room will have roughly the same air pressure and temp, so forcing air down though the console would be easy, depending on how the internals are laid out.

Dust shouldn't be much more of an issue than any other console really. Depends on how much CFM they are pushing.

In an environment where there isn't much "breeze/wind" the hot air will rise as consoles are typically contained in a "compartment" like on a shelf under the TV in a unit. - You don't want to be sucking the warm air from top to push it out the bottom.

It's hard to explain, but when I had the fire stations thermal camera the top few inches of air in my cabinet where my console resides was warmer than the rest due to hot air rising from thermal expansion.

Either way, Microsoft has likely done the appropriate testing and ascertained which approach is suitable for them, highly doubt we will ever see a RROD v2.0 ever again.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

Push pull would likely be preferred yes, but more so if the fans were blowing down. If they are blowing up, sucking from the base, depending on how much pressure differential they are creating, and how close the base of the console sits to the floor, dust could certainly be an issue.

Thermal expansion, yes. As the air goes up it deals with less pressure and loses energy, making it cooler. When it's windy out though, depending on how windy, the hot air will mostly go sideways, but also up. The difference is an open space is quite a bit different than an enclosed, if not sealed space. Not to mention controlled vs constant variation. An enclosed controlled console, in an enclosed controlled building, with fans blowing down through the console, will receive little to no thermal expansion resistance. The entire room will have roughly the same air pressure and temp, so forcing air down though the console would be easy, depending on how the internals are laid out.

Dust shouldn't be much more of an issue than any other console really. Depends on how much CFM they are pushing.

In an environment where there isn't much "breeze/wind" the hot air will rise as consoles are typically contained in a "compartment" like on a shelf under the TV in a unit. - You don't want to be sucking the warm air from top to push it out the bottom.

It's hard to explain, but when I had the fire stations thermal camera the top few inches of air in my cabinet where my console resides was warmer than the rest due to hot air rising from thermal expansion.

Either way, Microsoft has likely done the appropriate testing and ascertained which approach is suitable for them, highly doubt we will ever see a RROD v2.0 ever again.

If the Xbox one and One X is any indication of MS push for sound thermals and noise within their consoles, I also believe the RROD is a thing of the past and that MS understand their console sounding like a jet engine is also not something they want as well.  I have to say that turning on my PS4 Pro compared to my X and the sound generated by both, I am in favor of a quite console more than the look.

curl-6 said:

Digital Foundry's take:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

DF take on the Series X is pretty much how I took it when I first saw the photo of new console.  I did not stay up and watch the game awards instead when I came here I saw the photo of the Series X and the first thing that came to my mind is that MS is making a gaming PC.  Then when I read this is the new Xbox console the second thing that came to mind mind is that the Series X must be a beast.

After experiencing the X1X and how MS engineered that console, the fact that the Series X looks like a small form factor PC instantly screamed that this machine is running the latest PC components and that in order to get the sound and thermal rights even with the cooling I am sure MS will implement, this was the best form factor they could do.

Lately MS engineering has been top notch so if they could not fit this beast into anything smaller says to me that MS is really pushing it for the Series X.  I await to see what final form factor Sony bring to the PS5 and what the internals will be.  I do believe there will be a generation leap in power  this time compared to the PS4/X1.  It will be interesting to see how that all translate into games and who takes a real edge or not.

EricHiggin said:

Could be 2X (120mm?) axial fans on the base and top. Enough for reasonable cooling and temps, but positioned horizontally inside to blow air down instead of up.

One large fan centered in the middle of the tower, blowing air upwards.

Why make things complicate?

drkohler said:
EricHiggin said:

Could be 2X (120mm?) axial fans on the base and top. Enough for reasonable cooling and temps, but positioned horizontally inside to blow air down instead of up.

One large fan centered in the middle of the tower, blowing air upwards.

Why make things complicate?

Makes sense to have the fan on top or on the bottom of the tower. Or both.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

If you look at it from a point of view where the XB1's or PS4's are standing, then yes, even they don't suck up all that much dust, depending on how dusty the location is. The PS4 does tend to be worse due to it's overall design when it comes to dust intake though. Based on XB1X, MS should have learned enough that if XBSX cooling is anything of similar quality, it should be fine for the most part.

You're right if someone has a mostly closed off cabinet and has the Series X standing in it, if it's fans suck air in from the top. Some of the heat would remain inside and rise to the top and get sucked back in. I wasn't taking that factor into account. I really wonder how many people have a closed off cabinet these days. My cabinet is around 25 years old and even the backing on it has an approx 12"x 3" knockout for each section so hot air can exit. Plus how many are really going to set the Series X upright in that cabinet? Even in and enclosed cabinet, if they lay it sideways like they should, the console won't suck much hot air from the top. The problem then would come after playing for hours on end, while the ambient temp slowly increases inside the cabinet since the heat can't easily escape, in which case no console cooling design is going to be able to fix that. Just looking at the Series X, along with it's estimated specs, it's clearly designed to sit out in the open, and for more than just one worthy reason.

I don't disagree. I wasn't considering a closed off cabinet. It seemed obvious to me that was a terrible idea, like enclosing a kid or pet in a vehicle, in the middle of the outback, in the middle of the summer. How many people do that vs how many people who crack the windows to some degree vs how many who wouldn't put the kid or pet in that situation in the first place? Now the console isn't alive, but same concept.

Agree for the most part.

Imagine how insane Gears 6 is gonna look on this thing, holy guacamole...

CGI-Quality said:

One day!! O_O

CGI-Quality said:

This console design BEGS for a Spider-Man game. Just imagine what could be done with a special edition console here.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

HIRE THIS GUY!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...