By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X Announced (Xbox Scarlett)!

There's no Kinect, no always online drm bullshit, so it should be safe to say it'll do better than XB1 even with the silly name. Price, power difference, and console exclusives compared to PS5 still remain to be seen of course. I think whether Microsoft can beat Sony has less to do with what Microsoft does and is more about if Sony fucks up or not with PS5. Regardless I hope they're at least competitive, pushing each other to fight for the consumer's dollar.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
There's no Kinect, no always online drm bullshit, so it should be safe to say it'll do better than XB1 even with the silly name. Price, power difference, and console exclusives compared to PS5 still remain to be seen of course. I think whether Microsoft can beat Sony has less to do with what Microsoft does and is more about if Sony fucks up or not with PS5. Regardless I hope they're at least competitive, pushing each other to fight for the consumer's dollar.

I certainly hope they're more competitive; the most monopolized periods in gaming are generally the worst in my opinion, while closer fights like the 4th and 7th gen are the best.

Were really believing MS rushed together this reveal last minute because of some dev kit rumors? 😆

thismeintiel said:
Angelus said:

So in your mind, rushing out the 360, in order to beat Sony and gain market share is the same as finalizing plans for hardware, and design for a system just to show 0.1% of people reading next gen gossip on resetera that you're not behind the curve.....

Ok. Makes perfect sense. 

The point stands.  They'll rush HW if they have to.  And if that report, which was spreading, didn't affect them, they wouldn't have tried pumping out so much damage control so shortly after it came out.  The specs on Windows Central.  Phil's got a completed console at home and "It's GREEEEAAAAT."  An announcement at an awards show, instead of at E3 or their own event. 

Why announce it at X019? The only people watching would be xbox fans, game journalists and maybe some pc Gamepass users. So, people who are going to buy it anyway. 

They also have a final retail form factor they feel comfortable showing the world. They're not behind. Makes no sense. 

To try and play devils advocate here, they may be behind with the series S? Only reasonable assumption. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Were really believing MS rushed together this reveal last minute because of some dev kit rumors? 😆

There's no way that they could have made that senua trailer and designed the final retail form factor in 2 weeks(?) to respond to rumours.

It's just like buying into the current rumours about the hardware. Plain silly. 

Having discussions around the rumours is fine but this reveal simply puts them to bed. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I certainly hope they're more competitive; the most monopolized periods in gaming are generally the worst in my opinion, while closer fights like the 4th and 7th gen are the best.

Uh well, now that you mention the 7th gen, I realize competition isn't always a good thing lol. After seeing how Microsoft proved you can get away with pay to play on the 360, Sony followed with Nintendo soon after. Similarly, once Activision (or whoever did it first) was hugely successful with loot boxes, others started doing the same. I don't think there are any new bad practices Microsoft be doing so we should be safe with Series X, hopefully!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-series-x-mock-up-images-compare-size-to-other-consoles/

SvennoJ said:
Barkley said:

Tried to work out the size of the console by using the controller as scale.

Xbox One Dimensions = 7208cm3 = 33.3cm x 27.4cm x 7.9cm
Xbox One S Dimensions = 4342cm3 = 29.5cm x 23cm x 6.4cm
Xbox One X Dimensions = 4320cm3 = 30cm x 24cm x 6cm
Xbox Series X Dimensions = 6570cm3 = 29.2cm x 15cm x 15cm

So in terms of volume it's smaller than the OG XBO, a fair bit larger than the XBO S/X.

Someone posted comparisons on Eurogamer

It's a block and kind of defeats the purpose of a console that fits in an AV cabinet instead of putting a mini pc in there.

Now remove one of the cables, and gloss, enlarge it, and present it vertically.

Voila

So just hold your tongue right there. It's a power-ful brick! Got it?

ironmanDX said:

LudicrousSpeed said:

There's no way that they could have made that senua trailer and designed the final retail form factor in 2 weeks(?) to respond to rumours.

It's just like buying into the current rumours about the hardware. Plain silly. 

Having discussions around the rumours is fine but this reveal simply puts them to bed. 

The design of the console make me think it is true as they really did not put much work in designing it ? Moreover Hellblade 2 is early in development. Which probably means at least couple of years from release.

Second thing I thought about after seeing this, was this: