By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch Outsells Xbox One Worldwide

PAOerfulone said:

As for the Switch, I think 2020 has just as good of a chance of being the peak year as 2019. It'll depend on what is being offered. Animal Crossing is a big one, for sure. It's the biggest title the Switch has gotten in Q1 since Breath of the Wild. But it's going to need a lot more than that. I think a price cut may be on the way next year: Lite model goes to $170 and the upgraded base model goes to $250. I'm 85% certain that we're getting the next 3D Mario game next year as well. I think Pokemon Gen 4 remakes are also a strong possibility. I'm not too certain about Breath of the Wild 2, however. I think that's going to be a 2021 title. But I think the combination of Animal Crossing + 3D Mario + Pokemon Gen 4 remakes + a price cut would be a strong lineup of A tier titles to have at the top of the card for 2020. They'll also need some good, solid B tier titles in the back to support those titles and keep momentum steady. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is a good start, but it needs more. Furthermore, I think we're due for 1 big, major 3rd party game that will be a system seller. *COUGHMonsterHunterCOUGH*

The potential is there, but we need to see results. And soon... Man, I'd sure love a general Nintendo Direct right about now.

I agree on that price cut, they should absolutely have a price cut before the new systems launch. I hope there's not another pokemon game next year. Every year would just seem ridiculous. I could see two more pokemon games hitting Switch in its lifetime, anything more than that would be total overkill. Pokemon shouldn't be CoD.

BotW 2 is way more likely than another 3D Mario next year. BotW came out before Odyssey and it is using the same world, which means development time should be cut down significantly. BotW 2 next year makes total sense, Mario 3D doesn't. I do think a new Mario 2D series is possible next year. The combo of AC, BotW 2, new Mario 2D series as 3 high potential 10+ million sellers would make it a huge year for Switch in terms of system sellers. Throw in stuff like Bayonetta 3, maybe Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, hopefully porting over Wind Waker HD or maybe a combo pack of Zelda HD games (WW, SS?), and at least one more new console series game (pikmin??) and maybe a portable-only series to boot, and Nintendo could have everything it needs for a bigger year than this year. Of course hopefully it one or two big new third party games as well.

Around the Network

Because unlike with the Wii U, Nintendo has some relatively clear audiences in mind with the Switch. The Switch appeals to kids, families, portable gamers, and Nintendo fans all pretty broadly. It doesn't matter if the Switch is your first game console or your 30th, there's at least something there for you.
Six years into its lifespan and I still don't see any clear audiences for the Xbox One. Virtually no true exclusives, Microsoft IPs that are also available on Windows and aren't particularly well-received, a base console weaker than the PS4, etc.
The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is baffling to me because it removes the disc drive and still only has 1 TB of storage. Microsoft wants you to build a library of digital games and your storage will be eaten up really quickly.
The Xbox One X is the best way to play multiplats outside of a gaming PC, and there have been some amazing deals on it. This is the closest thing to an actual audience I can see for the Xbox One.
The Xbox One will hit 50 million units, but after the sales of the Xbox 360 there is not much comparison.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Agree, when you have something like Amazon where you can check "real time" sales on an hourly basis (maybe I will start writing articles about that, lol) the Nintendo Switch versions of games almost always outsell the Xbox 1/PS4 version.  3rd party developers can't ignore the power of Switch anymore IMO.

Nintendo with the Switch:

JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Congrats to Nintendo! But Switch is still just getting started. Sales are still accelerating. The Switch still has a hell of a journey ahead of it.

I still think this is its peak year, that said next year will still be fantastic for it.

Agreed. I just don't see how they are going to beat a Pokemon release, coupled with the release of a $199 model.

trunkswd said:
thismeintiel said:

Agreed. I just don't see how they are going to beat a Pokemon release, coupled with the release of a $199 model.

For 2020 Animal Crossing is coming out early, which should have strong legs if previous releases have anything to go by. I also expect Breath of the Wild 2 to release in Holiday 2020 and a price cut to $249 for the standard Switch and $179 for the Switch Lite. 

Same arguement that you always here on the otherside.
Theres already alot of zelda games on the system, the crowd thats all for zelda games, probably already jumped in on switch already.

Animal crossing isnt going to make 2020 beat 2019 imo.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Because unlike with the Wii U, Nintendo has some relatively clear audiences in mind with the Switch. The Switch appeals to kids, families, portable gamers, and Nintendo fans all pretty broadly. It doesn't matter if the Switch is your first game console or your 30th, there's at least something there for you.
Six years into its lifespan and I still don't see any clear audiences for the Xbox One. Virtually no true exclusives, Microsoft IPs that are also available on Windows and aren't particularly well-received, a base console weaker than the PS4, etc.
The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is baffling to me because it removes the disc drive and still only has 1 TB of storage. Microsoft wants you to build a library of digital games and your storage will be eaten up really quickly.
The Xbox One X is the best way to play multiplats outside of a gaming PC, and there have been some amazing deals on it. This is the closest thing to an actual audience I can see for the Xbox One.
The Xbox One will hit 50 million units, but after the sales of the Xbox 360 there is not much comparison.

Honestly...looking back I don't know or understand how or why Xbox was ever all that popular. It had a huge surge in 2005-2009, but to be honest I genuinely think they got lucky there, by having Sony botch so spectacularly. 

The original Xbox was NOT a successful console, barely selling more than the famously poor-selling Gamecube. It had a few hit franchises but it really didn't have a huge audience. 

The Xbox 360 had a huge start with dozens of amazing exclusives and ideas, capitalizing on Sony's failures and running roughshod on its competition...but once the PS3 picked up, that console proved to sell more than the 360 in the end, resulting in the 360 - Microsoft's best-selling console ever - in last place that generation. And why? They couldn't keep up the pace into the second half of that generation. 

And the Xbone has been a flop since day 1. Poor PR, poor exclusives, then no exclusives due to PC and eventually Switch getting them, and no real place to pick up the slack, with virtually nothing of value on the console (outside of Game Pass) for the last 3 years of this generation. 

Given their history, I predict they'll do well for the first 2-3 years of the next generation but then flop hard as PS5 and Switch continue to dominate. Honestly, they've NEVER been all that successful, with two of their consoles flopping hard despite having a lot of presence in US/UK, and the third having a great start but unable to stick the landing. They're just not good at this. 

Sony had the exact inverse problem, and Nintendo has always been all over the board. Sony's PS1 came out and dominated the incumbent leader (Nintendo), then made records with their followup, the PS2. They dipped and did poorly with the PS3's first half - the same half that Microsoft capitalized on - then came back in the latter half of that generation and once again dominated with the PS4. For comparison's sake, PS's weakest offering (PS3) sold more than Microsoft's best (360).

And since this is a thread comparing Xbox and Nintendo, that's a bit harder given Nintendo's long history and fluctuations. The NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube all had declines in popularity, only to spike in the Wii era and flop again in WiiU. The Switch is back to doing remarkably well (And let's be honest, I think Nintendo does best when they innovate or think outside the box. The same pattern can be seen with the portable lines, with Game Boy, Game Boy Advance decline, then the DS/3DS decline).

I think that a healthy gaming environment has two distinct companies. Sony for the basics, high resolution stuff, HD games, core games, and indies...while Nintendo does all the wacky, out-of-the-box thinking stuff. We have creativity, we have power, we have variety, etc. Microsoft just fails at doing what its competition does. I kinda feel sorry for it, becuase Sony having good competition is good....but they have not had that. 

Man, I sound like an F-word. I just like comparing, though. That, and after buying an Xbox 360 and Xbone and never playing them (I literally spend more time Netflixing and updating firmware on my Xbone than I ever did playing games on it), I'm completely lost as a customer of theirs. Hell, I didn't even bother buying Cuphead on Xbone because I got it on Switch and had it on PC first. Just no reason to have an Xbox. No wonder it flopped in the long run. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

trunkswd said:
thismeintiel said:

For 2020 Animal Crossing is coming out early, which should have strong legs if previous releases have anything to go by. I also expect Breath of the Wild 2 to release in Holiday 2020 and a price cut to $249 for the standard Switch and $179 for the Switch Lite. 

Animal Crossing is popular, but it's not Pokemon. We'll have to see if BOTW2 actually releases. Of course, considering BOTW was the title that launched the Switch, big Zelda fans already are on it. I'm sure it will push some HW, but nothing like during the Switch's launch. I also wouldn't expect a price cut. Nintendo said they are going to sell the Switch for $299 for as long as possible. If 2020 is only 5%-15% down from this year, I doubt they will cut the price. Not with a $199 model already available.

JRPGfan said:
trunkswd said:

Same arguement that you always here on the otherside.
Theres already alot of zelda games on the system, the crowd thats all for zelda games, probably already jumped in on switch already.

Animal crossing isnt going to make 2020 beat 2019 imo.

Clearly not as BOTW is still selling Zelda averaged 4m in sales before so clearly the crowd interested in the game are still jumping on board as they're all new players getting the game at this point even with over 14.4m of the NS version sold.

thismeintiel said:
trunkswd said:

Animal Crossing is popular, but it's not Pokemon. We'll have to see if BOTW2 actually releases. Of course, considering BOTW was the title that launched the Switch, big Zelda fans already are on it. I'm sure it will push some HW, but nothing like during the Switch's launch. I also wouldn't expect a price cut. Nintendo said they are going to sell the Switch for $299 for as long as possible. If 2020 is only 5%-15% down from this year, I doubt they will cut the price. Not with a $199 model already available.

Animal Crossing is more popular than Pokemon in Japan it's currently the most popular series with both the last two games sold 5m in the region while they both sold 10m plus, all major first party games are experiencing new highs on the Switch so AC is very likely to continue that on a similar level, also again with the Zelda fans argument Zelda only averaged 4-5m as a series with BOTW has sold 14.4m on NS so far and is still selling this means the game is selling to newcomers who weren't Zelda fans before this could snowball into a GTA3 like situation where the next game does even better due to success and word of mouth BOTW has even outsold GTA3 and it's total with the WiiU version has outsold Vice City. At this point it's not about Zelda fans BOTW and the new approach has wider appeal.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:
All these comments acting like third-party video-games are doomed seem awfully silly.

Did you post in the wrong thread? Where are those posts?

One comment makes a joke about them being "silenced" and another calls them "dinosaurs".  Maybe you posted in the wrong thread?  Did you not look back over the thread before replying?  That's a surprisingly rookie mistake.