By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor:PS5 & Anaconda Scarlet GPU on par with RTX 2080, Xbox exclusives focus on Cross gen, Developer complain about Lockhart.UPDATE: Windows Central said Xbox Anaconda target 12 teraflop

What do you think

I am excited for next gen 22 61.11%

I cannot wait to play next gen consoles 4 11.11%

I need to find another th... 2 5.56%

I worried about next gen 8 22.22%

Total:36
Xxain said:
Lets clear something up: Game Design is independent of console power.

Indeed.  Imagination, innovation  and creation are infinite, but in reality producing that imagination are limited by technology, hardware, and  tools. 

That's why people create new tech on new hardware. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 09 December 2019

Around the Network

drkohler said:
Trumpstyle said:

Since you the expert you should figure it out :)

Yes I'm well aware of 6 64-bit controllers are expensive, but Anaconda is 12TF so it need high amount of bandwidth.

I have no idea what is inside the XBox DevKit. But DevKits require more memory than the end product simply because there has to be a lot of debugging software running all along. So MS might have chosen the odd way of memory setup in their kits.

Rumours have it that the MS SoC is considerably bigger than Sony's (rumoured roughly 370 vs 310mm^2). Nobody knows if that is due to additional memory controllers or a lot more CUs or a combination thereof, or simply a rumour.

I'll also surmise that the new SoCs use all kinds of on-the-fly data companders (compression and decompression hardware). That way, newer chips save a lot of bandwith compared to last gen chips. So even a "measly" 256bit bus is good enough for full 4k.

I'm pretty sure Sony will use a 16GByte 256bit gddr6 system with a small ssd/(possibly ReRam) proprietary thingie down the line for streaming in (graphics data) and out (video streaming). I'm not so sure Anaconda will only have 16GBytes, but in a few months we will know the answers.

Yeah memory config remains a mystery for Xbox anaconda, 320-bit bus with 560GB/s memory speed made most sense for 10TF and 384-bit bus with 672GB/s for 12TF. Windowscentral claims 16GB Vram and that old leak from Jan says the same thing. And we got E3 video from Microsoft showing a mixture with 1 and 2GB Vram

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

HOPE IS BACK, Ps5 might be 11,2TF as I thought, but I'm going to bed now. Tom Warren also says 12TF and someone called Dealer says 12TF too but I got no clue who Dealer is.

Until I hear it from one of the major players, I always take these things with grains of salt. Just trying to help people avoid 'disappointing' themselves, only to learn later that caution is the best anecdote for stuff like this. :)

Who is bigger than Jason Schreier? He just repeated the claim that both Sony and Microsoft is aiming for above 10,7TF and it's not gaming performance. This after the news that Anaconda is 12TF.

"Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number." - Jason Schreier

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot7-nm.148625/page-323#post-27213413

And he strongly indicated that the 10,2TF is wrong so 11,2TF is back.

thismeintiel said:
Trumpstyle said:

Pff looks like it's over, Anaconda > PS5
PS5 is 40CU clocked at 2ghz as oberon leak suggested (10,2TF).
Lockhart 4TF (18CU, 1,8ghz)
Anaconda 12TF (52CU, 1,8ghz)

It's over, this leak that I thought was 100% accurate turned out to be almost correct except for PS5.
https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk#Xli5Vxu (leaked jan this year)

I might edit my post, but looks like it's over, just wanted to do a quick post.

It's over? This from the guy who kept saying it's over because PS5 and Scarlett would definitely be 8Tflops-9Tflops.

I think you should really just wait til the consoles are announced before you continue to declare different specs as concrete. Until then, speculation is fine.

I'm pretty sure I was first to say over and over and over again that Lockhart is 4TF and Anaconda 12TF, for a short time after Navi was released I thought they both were 7-8TF based on TDP numbers but 2 people ran tests at different clock-speeds and voltages showed Navi can be quite efficient at 1.7-1.8GHZ speed on tsmc 7nm and then a verified insider said they were both over 10TF so I changed my mind.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:

Pff looks like it's over, Anaconda > PS5
PS5 is 40CU clocked at 2ghz as oberon leak suggested (10,2TF).
Lockhart 4TF (18CU, 1,8ghz)
Anaconda 12TF (52CU, 1,8ghz)

It's over, this leak that I thought was 100% accurate turned out to be almost correct except for PS5.
https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk#Xli5Vxu (leaked jan this year)

I might edit my post, but looks like it's over, just wanted to do a quick post.

Even if this was the case, assuming the rest of the hardware was pretty darn close to the same between the brands/models, this wouldn't necessarily mean good or bad things for PS or MS.

Using these specs, and the general assumption I've mentioned above, you could fairly easily guess the launch pricing of those 3 consoles. 

4TF Lockhart - $299

10.2TF PS5 - $399

12TF Anaconda - $499

The main difference, focused mainly on pricing, compared to last gen, would be Lockhart at $299. Now Anaconda would actually be more powerful on paper than it's competition this time around, and maybe on screen as well, but when taking what's happened during this gen into account, the only thing that would really need to be taken seriously would be the addition of Lockhart. It would be the deciding factor on whether or not the Scarlett family can give PS5 a run for it's money. Anaconda may pick up some slack, but in this scenario, it's Lockhart that will make or break them.

While Lockhart would certainly be the cheapest option for those types of customers, PS5 in comparison would certainly seem like a massive value buy. For anyone with the money to burn, who also cares about getting the best deal, PS5 would be the blatant choice.

How many consumers fall into either category? How many would choose to spend less on Lockhart anyway and maybe get more games? How many would choose to save up for a couple years and get PS5 when it's price has finally dropped so they can afford it and some of it's games/exclusives? Just a few of many questions that I certainly don't have a solid answer for if this were to be the case.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 10 December 2019

Cerebralbore101 said:

Tagging this thread. Will bump it for sure whenever official specs are revealed by either Sony or MS. 

Just a general question for the thread; WTF would Anaconda cost with visuals on par with a 2080? 

@Pemalite You said that consoles use the same OS as PC. Isn't the PS4 a custom Linux OS? That's a pretty big difference from Windows OS right?

Linux is a PC OS.

Trumpstyle said:
<SNIP>

In otherwords you don't have any idea what so ever and will jump back and forth to whichever number looks appealing to you the most?

HollyGamer said:

Just show me the prove that i said they will do "according to me" , i just using the info from the article and using the info i shared, based or according to insider, expert and Microsoft it self, So are you saying you doubt Microsoft and Sony statement that they are both focusing on different strategy ?

I am not debating about the information in the Op. I am debating against your own comments put forth.

HollyGamer said:

Battlefield 4 frostbite engine are designed and targeted using PC, not PS3 or Xbox 360 as baseline. If Frosbyte are designed using PS3 and Xbox 360 as baseline frostbite wouldn't be that good considered the target is a limited old consoles. That alone proves that scaling up is possible but risking the potential of future hardware benefit and more powerful and is just graphic not even a game design, let alone it's just FPS games that even exist since 2d graphic .

You are just proving my point that engines will scale upwards and downwards depending on hardware.

HollyGamer said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

Sony using their own API,  mantle can be used for both PS4 and Xbox One, buy SOny itself has their own proprietary and even lower than mantle (just read the article ) it called GNM and GNMX one of those are lower API.

Mantle isn't a low-level API. It's a Hybrid Low-level/High-Level API and was the foundations that Vulkan is built upon.

It does mean that Mantle was able to offer very similar performance in scenarios that *mattered* with it's low-level optimizations (I.E. Draw Calls) whilst still being developer friendly that high-level abstraction layers tend to bring.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7868/evaluating-amds-trueaudio-and-mantle-thief
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7431/amd-blog-post-the-four-core-principles-of-amds-mantle

HollyGamer said:

Again Sony will not shut down PS4 sales (nobody said that), they will continue selling PS4 like PS3  but they already clarified based on the link i gave on the OP that they will focusing on PS5 and ready to move their games baseline to PS5 not cross gen is a FACT. Microsoft are going to release Halo infinite as cross platform and cross gen is just the proves, (why are u still arguing this fact) .

Dear lord. Point me to where I said that, because that isn't even the argument I have put forth.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

HollyGamer said:

Just show me the prove that i said they will do "according to me" , i just using the info from the article and using the info i shared, based or according to insider, expert and Microsoft it self, So are you saying you doubt Microsoft and Sony statement that they are both focusing on different strategy ?

I am not debating about the information in the Op. I am debating against your own comments put forth.

HollyGamer said:

Battlefield 4 frostbite engine are designed and targeted using PC, not PS3 or Xbox 360 as baseline. If Frosbyte are designed using PS3 and Xbox 360 as baseline frostbite wouldn't be that good considered the target is a limited old consoles. That alone proves that scaling up is possible but risking the potential of future hardware benefit and more powerful and is just graphic not even a game design, let alone it's just FPS games that even exist since 2d graphic .

You are just proving my point that engines will scale upwards and downwards depending on hardware.

HollyGamer said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

Sony using their own API,  mantle can be used for both PS4 and Xbox One, buy SOny itself has their own proprietary and even lower than mantle (just read the article ) it called GNM and GNMX one of those are lower API.

Mantle isn't a low-level API. It's a Hybrid Low-level/High-Level API and was the foundations that Vulkan is built upon.

It does mean that Mantle was able to offer very similar performance in scenarios that *mattered* with it's low-level optimizations (I.E. Draw Calls) whilst still being developer friendly that high-level abstraction layers tend to bring.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7868/evaluating-amds-trueaudio-and-mantle-thief
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7431/amd-blog-post-the-four-core-principles-of-amds-mantle

HollyGamer said:

Again Sony will not shut down PS4 sales (nobody said that), they will continue selling PS4 like PS3  but they already clarified based on the link i gave on the OP that they will focusing on PS5 and ready to move their games baseline to PS5 not cross gen is a FACT. Microsoft are going to release Halo infinite as cross platform and cross gen is just the proves, (why are u still arguing this fact) .

Dear lord. Point me to where I said that, because that isn't even the argument I have put forth.

My comment about what, CrossGen ? Sony are trying to move to PS5 as fast as possible or Microsoft Game Pass strategy and elimination of platform agnostic? 

It's a "hybrid "   Low level and High Level API , it's not pure low level API, like in consoles . To be pure low level API, a person need to optimize by themself on each PC they have or mod their own games. ( just count how many PC configuration out there).

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Who is bigger than Jason Schreier? He just repeated the claim that both Sony and Microsoft is aiming for above 10,7TF and it's not gaming performance. This after the news that Anaconda is 12TF.

"Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number." - Jason Schreier

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot7-nm.148625/page-323#post-27213413

Who bigger? Why the people crafting these devices, of course. I get that you’re enthusiastic about this, but I’m telling you, nothing is final until it is final. Exercising some caution (what many are doing) is the safest bet.

I wonder do you have account on Resettera ? 

People getting way too invested in these rumours, they're not certain. Before the Switch came out the number thrown about was 1TF, look how that turned out.

However credible these rumours may or may not appear, we won't know the specs till someone has the actual silicon in their hands.

Hopefully the rumours aren't true because 16gb ram for the "high end" machine (anaconda) is underwhelming. It's fine for right now, but could be a severe limiting factor in just a couple of years.

Last edited by Barkley - on 10 December 2019

Barkley said:

People getting way too invested in these rumours, they're not certain. Before the Switch came out the number thrown about was 1TF, look how that turned out.

However credible these rumours may or may not appear, we won't know the specs till someone has the actual silicon in their hands.

Well we already know this is just rumored, it's thrilling to discuss. It's not like this thread full blood LOL. In the end people like to throw theory, playing detective , and play with their own mind. Yes it's more of mind gaming. I prefer this kind of thread instead politic or religion thread. 

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Still considering most of the sales where on base PS4 and X1, the games were developed with good performance on those systems and them using the extra power of pro or x1x to improve fps, pixel count or some effects.

They didn't made the game focused on X1X (the lowest seller of them all) and them axed until it worked on the others, that would cost more time and money plus making worse versions for most of the consumers.

So if Sony focus PS5 single system with the most they can pack at 399 up to 499 pricetag (with up to 100 of cost being eaten by Sony to recover on SW) the 1st party of Sony will simply destroy in quality and IQ the games that would be made with baseline lockhart from MS. Just like they did this gen.

A question to ask would be if PS4 was at XB1 spec of 1.3TF, and XB1 was at PS4 spec of 1.8TF, yet their prices remained the same, how would that have changed the sales of those consoles early on, even with the DRM nonsense? Now if you take into account where XB1 and PS4 stand now, with everything that's happened this gen, and ask yourself, what if the hardware outcome is the same as last gen, with Lockhart being weaker, but this time being significantly cheaper than PS5 in terms of pricing, how will that effect next gens early sales?

Even if PS4 and XB1 costed the same and specs were swapped PS4 would still win, but by a lot smaller difference (USA would have stayed with XB1 instead of favored PS4). But PS4 1.3T @399 vs X1 1.8T @499, then we would have an intermediary state. So for your proposition instead of 130M we are looking for PS4, perhaps 100-110M total, and for Xbox instead of 50-60M it could achieve 80M.

If Lockhart can get a worthy lead due to it's lower price, that would force devs to focus more on lockhart, and then worry about PS5, and then Anaconda after that. While third party PS5 games would be superior, they probably wouldn't be earth shattering by any means, and so would an extra $100 be worth it for PS5 to a casual? Now this would basically make Anaconda similar to XB1X in terms of how much better it is vs it's competition, so it's sales may very well suffer, but will MS really care as long as they had the Scarlett family sales lead overall?

I ask you to look at PS3 vs X360. Xbox was 100 or more cheaper the whole gen and had a superior performance on 3rd party for most of the gen. PS3 was still able to win. So with a at most 100 lead over PS5 but much weaker and everything will show that then PS5 won't have much to be afraid. And with this way you have what is called an anchor in marketing. "ok at 299 you can have this barebone version, for 100 more you get this much more powerful unit, and if you fork another 100 you gain a little more". This is made in several places to put the barebone at an already high price to entice people for the most expensive because they won't think the more expensive is to expensive when the difference in price isn't big but the quantity is, people don't look that the cheaper is to expensive, they just think the most expensive isn't that much more expensive. That is a strategy used on a same line from the supplier, but Sony will take advantage of that because in the scenario of Lockhart 299, PS5 399, Anaconda 499 they can put as the middle man that is much more valuable than the cheaper and cheaper than the top one. That is why I said that if Lockhart is 199 or PS5 is 499 (and Anaconda 599) this all changes and sure at this way Lockhart would have a very good chance of pushing many sales.

PS5 first party games should end up incredibly more impressive in this situation, but would that be enough to draw the casuals in vs a cheaper Lockhart with Game Pass? Part of the reason PS4 was able to succeed to the extent it has, is because of it's early lead. Word got out that PS4 was the place to play, and it simply grew from there because PS made sure to keep the beast fed. The start of next gen will be a reset of sorts though. If MS can play their cards right, they could give PS5 a tougher time than PS4 had, with again, weaker hardware, but more affordable this time around.

You are using many ifs. But yes MS should be able to put a better fight against PS5 than they did to PS4. But again we hear all the "reasons why the 6 months of launch window made it impossible for MS to recover or outsell Sony", when a much harder situation was there for PS3 and it made possible.

Switch has made it clear that you don't necessarily need a ton of power to sell boat loads of hardware. With MS and Nin being a little cozy, I don't think it would be crazy for MS to take note of this. That doesn't stop them from offering the most powerful next gen console either, even if the games on it aren't all that impressive. When it comes to casuals who don't do their research, the cheapest available, or highest specs can certainly be enough for them depending on what they are after. MS would likely sell enough Anaconda's to cover the input costs, so as long as they keep those gamers from going to SNY, it may still be seen as a small win for the time being in their eyes.

MS isn't Nintendo, and Switch can do it because of both the exclusives it have and portability. None of this is a strength of Lockhart.

It's really hard to say what may play out next gen. How many people have a massive stash of digital games on PS4, and how many feel locked down to the PS brand because of it? How many new customers have played PS4 first party titles, and how many are so hooked that they have to have a PS5? While I think this certainly gives PS an advantage no doubt, I don't think it guarantee's them PS4 level success again by any means.

Sure there is no guarantee. And the past doesn't assure nothing in the future, but we use it as basis to predict most likely outcomes. Anyway yes it is possible that Sony fucks up and/or MS hits gold I just think it isn't much likely. For me we will have another gen with PS over 100M and Xbox under 80M.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Of course you would thing plenty looked better.

Oh, we’re shit posting now. Let me try.

Of course you would think plenty didn’t look better.

Am I doing it right?

Not shit post. It is based on you saying plenty of times you don't like any of the first party games on PS3, and then PS4.

It is a consensus that on consoles the best looking game was a dispute between TLOU, UC3 and KZ3. No Multiplat were in general considered better looking than them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yeah except that I played a shit ton of Last of Us, particularly MP, and have stated repeatedly that it was great. But I can recognize it’s flaws.

“consensus” of who exactly? You’re talking about something subjective.