By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the worst successor to a console, ever?

Biggest loser

Nintendo 64 4 4.30%

Xbox One 11 11.83%

Wii U 45 48.39%

PlayStation 3 9 9.68%

Sega Saturn 10 10.75%

Other 9 9.68%

They're all winners in my eyes!! 5 5.38%

Total:93

I had a TB Graphx, honestly it was a great little system. Bonk in particular was really good.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
The N64 being on that list is shameful. My favorite system ever. Brought us into the era we are in today.
Wii U, by far, was a massive letdown for me. Poor launch games, didn't get anything going for it for a long time.

It's not shameful at all. As a successor to the SNES it was a failure for Nintendo and it got crushed by the PS1. Nothing wrong with having it as your favorite console but don't let your bias get in the way. The PS3 is one of my all time favorites but it definitely belongs in this list. Also, I'm not sure what you mean with that in bold.

I actually found the PS3 to be a step up from PS2.

The latter never really interested me much, and while PS3 had some notable problems (too expensive, outdated controller, mostly inferior multiplats) it at least distinguished itself with several games I really enjoyed like Uncharted and Resistance. 

curl-6 said:

The latter never really interested me much, and while PS3 had some notable problems (too expensive, outdated controller, mostly inferior multiplats) it at least distinguished itself with several games I really enjoyed like Uncharted and Resistance. 

Hey, aside from the Saturn, I own or owned every console in the OP, the console that came before it and (aside from XBO) the console that came after. I love them all--even the Wii U. The newer hardware is almost always a step up with more power, new features, a library of must play games, etc. The ones in the OP either lost money, sales, dominance, or whatever. Many of them could even be considered successful.

In the first Rocky movie, Rocky actually lost to Apollo Creed. But since nobody ever took Rocky seriously, it was still seen as a win for Rocky and a loss for Apollo.

d21lewis said:
curl-6 said:

Hey, aside from the Saturn, I own or owned every console in the OP, the console that came before it and (aside from XBO) the console that came after. I love them all--even the Wii U. The newer hardware is almost always a step up with more power, new features, a library of must play games, etc. The ones in the OP either lost money, sales, dominance, or whatever. Many of them could even be considered successful.

In the first Rocky movie, Rocky actually lost to Apollo Creed. But since nobody ever took Rocky seriously, it was still seen as a win for Rocky and a loss for Apollo.

Oh I'm not denying the PS3 was a terrible successor in terms of the colossal amounts of money and marketshare it lost.

I just personally liked the PS3 more than the PS2.

Around the Network

Sega Saturn

My first reaction is wiiu.... but that system had such an amazing array of 1st party titles. I did love it in the end. But then, I think.... what about handhelds, too? Then that leads me to the vita. It sold as bad as the wiiu did, maybe worse, since sony stopped releasing sales figures for almost from day 1, then i think... yeah. The vita. With those overpriced memory cards, almost zero 1st party games, not a single legitimate big game that just sold like crazy despite the minimal userbase. For me, the vita. The vita is the worst follow up system of all time.

Chrkeller said:
I had a TB Graphx, honestly it was a great little system. Bonk in particular was really good.

I still have one. It was a really great little system and had some awesome games. I was the only person I knew as a kid that had one. 

SwitchUP said:
Chrkeller said:

I still have one. It was a really great little system and had some awesome games. I was the only person I knew as a kid that had one. 

Still have mine

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I actually quite like the Xbox One. If MS had stuck with the heavily regulated DRM stuff they initially planned on I'd probably place that on the list but as it stands it's pretty solid. I could do without that having to completely upload every single retail game to the HDD before playing and it's not as great as 360 overall but still a solid machine with plenty of great games, my main go-to for modern third party titles for the most part.

I'd say either Saturn or Wii U, with PS3 as a distant third. Nintendo dropped the ball when it came to the interface, 2nd/3rd party support, stream of games, and just overall philosophy in general with that thing. Was not a fan of the big, bulky plastic touchscreen controller as it felt like more of a kid's toy, and the games seemed to run with the Wii qualities in all the wrong directions while falling back to the less appealing obscure type of games GameCube was known for. It just felt like Nintendo was running with the success of the Wii branding with the Wii U while its library felt more similar to the Cube library, with even worse 2nd/3rd party support to boot.

I know far less about the Saturn, which I don't see as a horrible console in its own right, but it was largely a casualty of Sega's horrible marketing and loss of trust in the public after pumping out an abundance of hardware shortly before the Saturn. It also just didn't have anywhere near the solid lineup Genesis had.

Not a huge Sony fan in general but overall there was a huge contrast at least for me when it came to PS2 (my favorite Sony console) and PS3 (my LEAST favorite Sony console). Sony's arrogance at the time and 599USD just rubbed me the wrong way, and have never been too crazy about the heavy emphasis on more linear, cinematic games that seemed to peak during the PS3 era. 

N64 is quite a step down from SNES in terms of its overall library but it gets a pass (and much more) for its abundance of super enjoyable 4 player splitscreen games, some of which me and my sister/cousins/friends play today. While 64 will always have its flaws it holds a strong level of sentimentality with me as it was the console I grew up with as a kid (along with SNES) and I've had some of the all-time best multiplayer experiences with it. I still think it's the all-time best local multiplayer console along with the Wii.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden