By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the worst successor to a console, ever?

Biggest loser

Nintendo 64 4 4.30%

Xbox One 11 11.83%

Wii U 45 48.39%

PlayStation 3 9 9.68%

Sega Saturn 10 10.75%

Other 9 9.68%

They're all winners in my eyes!! 5 5.38%

Total:93

Wii U.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
Chrkeller said:

I rather stunned the Saturn hasn't received more votes. Sega was doing really well with the Genesis. The Saturn was very expensive compared to the ps1 and Sega never recovered. The Saturn basically killed the company.  Though I'll concede the Sega CD and 32x certainly didn't help.  Sega used to be a huge player.  

Because the Saturn wasn't a bad console. Sega made certain mistakes. But the 32x, Sega CD, Nomad, Game Gear had bigger parts on Sega's downfall than the Saturn. One could say the Saturn was a victim of Sega's circumstances. Sega had a disastrous launch...but the aforementioned add ons and systems had ruined the people's trust in Sega before the Saturn arrived.

Fair enough.  I recall the pricing to be horrid on the Saturn and the game lineup to be meh.  But good points.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Virtual Boy.

Gameboy is one of the most successful consoles of all time and it has defeated countless competitors. Virtual Boy just totally flopped. It's easily the worst.

I know a lot of people don't even count the Virtual Boy, because it performed so badly. If you don't want to count it, then Wii U is next.

While it may have the "Boy" moniker, I don't believe that the Virtual Boy is considered a successor to the GameBoy line. 

SammyGiireal said:
Chrkeller said:

I rather stunned the Saturn hasn't received more votes. Sega was doing really well with the Genesis. The Saturn was very expensive compared to the ps1 and Sega never recovered. The Saturn basically killed the company.  Though I'll concede the Sega CD and 32x certainly didn't help.  Sega used to be a huge player.  

Because the Saturn wasn't a bad console. Sega made certain mistakes. But the 32x, Sega CD, Nomad, Game Gear had bigger parts on Sega's downfall than the Saturn. One could say the Saturn was a victim of Sega's circumstances. Sega had a disastrous launch...but the aforementioned add ons and systems had ruined the people's trust in Sega before the Saturn arrived.

The Saturn, honestly, was kind of a bad console. It was a technological clusterfuck that required all kinds of workarounds to even try to keep it up to par with the N64 and PS1 as far as games people actually wanted at the time. 2-D Capcom fighters weren't what most people wanted. On top of that, it was expensive to manufacture because it was such a mess, which meant Sega couldn't price-match with the PS1 or N64 without deepening the losses it was already seeing. It did have a few good games, but it wasn't a well-designed piece of hardware. They should have listened to Tom Kalinske about using the less needlessly convoluted architecture that he proposed, but Sega of Japan wasn't about to take any advice from an American subsidiary.

From a sheer sales point of view, the Wii U. Going from a console that sold over 100 million to one that barely sold over 10 million is definitely a bite in the butt. It had some good games, but, for the most part, it just wasn't good enough.

From a marketshare/corporate point of view, the PS3. Sony reigned supreme with around 80% of the marketshare with the PS2. The Xbox and Gamecube sold 40M combined, but the PS2 sold almost 160M! That is incredibly impressive. However, the PS3 ended up with less than 33% of the marketshare and cost Sony so much money they were still in the red until around 2016 (even though the PS4 basically got a running head start).

From a games point of view I would say the Vita. The PSP had outstanding AAA-esque third party games like GTA: Stories, Crisis Core, God of War: CoO and GoS, MGS: Portable Ops and Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts, etc. Then had popular franchises like Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, etc on top of it. It truly felt like a portable PS2. Especially with downloadable PS1 games. The PS Vita however? It started off strong with Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone...but stopped suddenly. There were only 12 total first party games on the system. While it has been chugging along with indies and Japanese games, it never felt like a portable PS3 in my pocket.

Around the Network

WiiU. Honorable mention for PS3 and to a lesser extent, X1.

Gamecube.

Going from the epic Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Starfox 64 to garbage like Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Adventures felt like getting a stocking full of cowshit for Christmas.

Wii U, Xbone, PS4, and PS2 were all massive steps down from their predecessors to me personally.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 November 2019

Whoever voted Saturn should be slapped. SS is an amazing system. Such a stellar library. There is a reason Switch is getting remakes of Panzer Dragoon and Retrobit is making brand new Saturn controllers right now. One of the best systems ever made. Sales be damned.

The answer is 5200. Jaguar was a worse system but 5200 followed after 2600 the best selling console until NES came out.

Last edited by Leynos - on 15 November 2019

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

Yeah

First, what is meant by the worst console? I understand that something that was so harmful that the company failed to recover. The effects were so great that the company in question entered a considerable destructive spiral. Well, let's look at the options. So I see that the most damaging console was Saturn, which caused Sega to leave the console branches. The Dreamcast was just the result of the Saturn disaster. Where is Psvita here in this poll?

SammyGiireal said:
Chrkeller said:

i was a bad console. Make sega runway for hardware business