By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

27: Zelda Link's Awakening? I wanted to say Majora's Mask at first but even though Zelda indeed doesn't play a part in that game she technically still has a short appearance through a flashback.

I could google the Russian quote, but I won't.

Oh damn, I forgot about awakening… no, it is not Link's Awakening.

Let's just count your first thought though. Majora's Mask is it (and I disregard that short flashback, she still isn't there).

Heh, thanks. I was wondering how strict you would be on that flashback. I also wouldn't have counted it.

Around the Network

#31 - In this GC game, the blue hedgehog has a new rival.

Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

I missed this game when it came out. It is my loss. I tried the game when I got it for free as part of the 3DS's Ambassador Program, a thank you by Nintendo to those who bought the 3DS before it's price was drastically cut. This game is amazing. The atmosphere of it's world is it's strongest asset, it is amazing. The main antagonist, the SA-X, an overpowered copy of Samus herself, is genuinely terrifying. The encounters are scripted, as this game is quite linear for a Metroid game, but it does feel as if you are haunted by it every step of the way. During the GameBoy Advance's life, I didn't really think very highly of the system. It's not that I didn't like it at all, but I felt it's best games were Super Nintendo ports and it had mediocre Mario Kart and Zelda games. If I had played 'Metroid Fusion' however, my feelings might have been different.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#31 - In this GC game, the blue hedgehog has a new rival.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle?

#33 Pikmin
guessed by The_Liquid_Laser
platform Gamecube/Wii
release year 2001
developer/publisher Nintendo
genre real time strategy, puzzle
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #31
2017: #26

The Pikmin series does something great. It combines puzzle solving with real time strategy and all in a cute design, while the gameplay itself is still challenging.

The first game released on the Gamecube and was rereleased on Wii with adaptations in the controls to the Wiimote (called New Play Control). The game features captain Olimar, who crashlands on a planet that looks incredibly like earth. His life support only keeps him alive for 30 days and after the crash he is missing parts of the spaceship. So he is out looking for the missing parts. And finds little creatures he plucks from the earth like a vegetable, but they have feet and follow him and follow his orders. He calls them Pikmin.

The Pikmin help him to find the missing parts of the ship that are often hid behind some sort of puzzle or a boss-fight. But he has also to look out for the Pikmin themself, if we gather food more Pikmin are produced which helps later on. Many creatures are eating Pikmin, so you have to fight them.

The graphic style look great as a replication of nature with Olimar and the Pikmin running around in this scenario. And did I mention everyone is about 2 centimeters big? Well, they are.

The game has two sequels now and a spin-off (Hey Pikmin!). This was a good start for a great franchise. I hope another entry is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4q6l8-_no

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

#30: In the early days of this franchise, it seemed like every game was some sort of a 'subgame' of the famous 'main game'. Every game is still a full blown game though, and mine in particular focussed on one single building.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

25.  a)  This Switch game is a combination of two different franchises.  It also appeared on other platforms before coming to Switch.
b)  This game is not published by Nintendo, nor is Nintendo licensing out their IP to another company.

Dragon Quest Builders? I know it's not an official franchise crossover, but it's Dragon Quest and Minecraft basically.

More hints:

#32 Guessed by Farsala: Final Fantasy X

a) The king becomes consumed by the rot.

b) The tribes try to take control from the king and compete with each other.

a) The terrorist organization is back?

b) There are secrets behind the destruction of a mediterranean city the year before.

a) Giant monsters vs. giant aliens!

b) There are giant footprints at one path.

a) "Хорошо! Я буду работать на тeбя, проклятый капиталист!"

b) "It have bomb! But it no problem."

#27 Guessed by S.Peelman: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

31. Kingdom Hearts III

First Played: 2019

Times Completed: 1 Time

The latest KH game is one of the best. It’s certainly the best looking, with visuals that do justice to the Pixar and Disney CG worlds it takes many of its worlds from. There is a lot to do and I enjoy almost everything, except the cooking mini games, but everything else is fun, even the Game & Watch style mini games. Music is unsurprisingly excellent, although it features my least favourite title song in the series so far. The only reason it isn’t quite my favourite KH game, is probably just how new it is. Once I’ve spent more time and replayed it, it might just end up my favourite.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 01 December 2019

HylianSwordsman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

25.  a)  This Switch game is a combination of two different franchises.  It also appeared on other platforms before coming to Switch.
b)  This game is not published by Nintendo, nor is Nintendo licensing out their IP to another company.

Dragon Quest Builders? I know it's not an official franchise crossover, but it's Dragon Quest and Minecraft basically.

Good guess, but no.