By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
Jpcc86 said:

Question: Seeing @mZuzek post in here, is this the post to include the Honorable Mentions that didnt make the list or can I just add them tomorrow in the other topic when the list starts.  

Follow up question: Given that christmas season is coming and I might travel, a couple of days I might not be able to enter the forum and edit my list, any issue if I add those couple of games beforehand?

Follow up question number 2: What happens if you put shampoo and conditioner on at the same time? 

You can include your honorable mentions in your post in the official thread, of course. You can do whatever you want with that post, as long as it's you don't flood it with images and keep it clear and obvious what the top 50 is. I just did it, actually. You can't post a second time, though.

Follow up question... nah, don't worry. Not everyone is gonna be available day in, day out, for almost 2 months - it's normal for people to post a few games ahead of schedule or catch up later when they get back. In fact, I'm gonna do that right now!

HINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* um, sorry about that. Hints.

#50 - I'm in it!
#49 - It has clunky controls.
#48 - The final boss shoots fireballs from a mouth in his belly, and it's a pain.
#47 - It hasn't been ported to the Switch.
#46 - Full steam ahead!

Some of those are quite vague. Let me try some:

#50 Marvel vs Capcom 3

#48 Tekken 5

#47 Mario 3D World

#46 Steamworld Dig 2

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:
Okay let's start mine. Not sure what kind of hint I'll make that's not a boring description of the game, so this is probably pretty hard;

#50: So this classic arcade game has been cloned thousands of times with all kinds of different themes over the passing decades. Though the game has nothing to do with the movie at all, one such clone featured the quote "Game Over man, Game Over!" spoken by Bill Paxton from Aliens, when you lose.

I know nothing about the quote, but one classic arcade game which was copied very often was Breakout.

Almost. More or less, it's not almost as in the answer is "Super Breakout", but "almost" as in it's from the same era, by the same publisher and a port of the arcade game was released on this publisher's console.

#50 (Hint 2): Breakout has even more clones than my game, but the name of the clone with the quote I'm talking about just changed the word 'Missile' to 'Patriot'.

mZuzek said:
Jpcc86 said:

Question: Seeing @mZuzek post in here, is this the post to include the Honorable Mentions that didnt make the list or can I just add them tomorrow in the other topic when the list starts.  

Follow up question: Given that christmas season is coming and I might travel, a couple of days I might not be able to enter the forum and edit my list, any issue if I add those couple of games beforehand?

Follow up question number 2: What happens if you put shampoo and conditioner on at the same time? 

You can include your honorable mentions in your post in the official thread, of course. You can do whatever you want with that post, as long as it's you don't flood it with images and keep it clear and obvious what the top 50 is. I just did it, actually. You can't post a second time, though.

Follow up question... nah, don't worry. Not everyone is gonna be available day in, day out, for almost 2 months - it's normal for people to post a few games ahead of schedule or catch up later when they get back. In fact, I'm gonna do that right now!

HINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#50 - I'm in it!
#48 - The final boss shoots fireballs from a mouth in his belly, and it's a pain.
#46 - Full steam ahead!

#50: Donut County → there you are:

#49: Resident Evil

#47: not much left which isn't ported to Switch, but a few options remain, let's say Super Mario 3D World

#46: Codename S.T.E.A.M.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:

#50 - I'm in it!
#46 - Full steam ahead!

50: Star Fox Zero

49: ... Star Fox Zero

47: Super Mario 3D World

46: Zelda Spirit Tracks

EDIT: It seems I've been ninja'd twice on SM3DW.

mZuzek said:

#50 - I'm in it!
#46 - Full steam ahead!

Nice, thanks!

#46 is Spirit Tracks?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

I know nothing about the quote, but one classic arcade game which was copied very often was Breakout.

Almost. More or less, it's not almost as in the answer is "Super Breakout", but "almost" as in it's from the same era, by the same publisher and a port of the arcade game was released on this publisher's console.

#50 (Hint 2): Breakout has even more clones than my game, but the name of the clone with the quote I'm talking about just changed the word 'Missile' to 'Patriot'.

Space Invaders?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

mZuzek said:

but couldn't make it to the top 50 for one reason or another.

Honorable Mention: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons

Boo!

Honorable Mention: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Boooooo!

Honorable Mention: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Booooooooooooooo!

You cut out all the best games.

OT: I'll drop my hint if I manage to finish my list tonight. It will mostly be the same as last year's though.

mZuzek said:
Flilix said:

You cut out all the best games.

Come on, A Link Between Worlds hasn't made my top 50 for a while, you just didn't notice it before cause I wasn't talking about it!

Anyways, I didn't actually mean it when I asked you guys to slow down! Gonna drop a bit more info on the hints because I might not be very active here this coming week.

#50 - I'm in it!
Hint 2 - You can barely call it a videogame.

Hint 2 - I might've mentioned something about this a page ago...

#50 Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

#49 Depends on how many posts per page you have, since this is still page 1 for me :p

I have a finalized list! Time for some honorable mentions:

Astral Chain: I haven't finished it yet which is why I'm not ranking it officially yet but I'm very impressed by the game so far! The combat is excellent and the cop simulator aspects are great as well which is a bit of a surprise. Running with the beast Legion can be frustrating at times though.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Stellar remake, gets rid of all the bad things about the GameBoy version, looks amazing and provides a solid Zelda experience. Wish it was a bit longer though.

God of War (2018): I was sceptical of the new angle at first but it turned out really great. The combat while very different is fun and varied, the set pieces are stunning and the RPG elements are a welcome addition to the series. I do feel it has lackluster boss fights though.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night: Castlevania sequel in disguise, it's a great Metroidvania and I'm glad I backed it on Kickstarted way back in the 19th century. It is rough around the edges but it also filled with stuff to do and things to find! Gotta kill those murderers DEAD!

Signature goes here!

OK, I'll start with the hints for the first games, as tomorrow the first one already is unveiled.

#50: Guessed by RingoGaSuki: Dillon's Rolling Western

a) Fight the rocks before they reach the village!

b) Get resources from monsters and mines.

#49: Guessed by Jpcc86: Heretic

a) Fight gargoyles, golems, undead warriors and other monsters in dungeons riddled with traps.

b) Use weapons like the elven wand, ethereal crossbow, dragon claw and best of all: gauntlets of the necromancer.

#48: Guessed by TruckOSaurus: Zack and Wiki

a) Turn enemies into useful items to solve the puzzles.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 11 November 2019