By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Devil May Cry 1 (PS2)

It has something special about its frantic action and in turn with an accurate gameplay that makes it an explosive combination.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
Jpcc86 said:
I figure I’ll post a couple hints to join in:

#48 : Classic beat 'em up that released first for Arcade and a year later for the best console of all time
#47: Medieval Mega Man.

48: TMNT Turtles in Time

Correct, thats the one!

Jpcc86 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

#47: Arabian-themed

Hint#1: Morphing terrain

#46: Deliberately monochrome game (with some red and yellow sometimes thrown in for good measure

#45: Pretty much a ripoff of the first Metroid

47 -  Assassin's Creed?

45 - Iconoclasts?

Nope to both. Like I said, both games are well over 20 years old

Jpcc86 said:
I figure I’ll post a couple hints to join in:

#48 : Classic beat 'em up that released first for Arcade and a year later for the best console of all time
#47: Medieval Mega Man.

Street Fighter?

#48 - A new chapter in a horror series that has four protagonists.

Whew, finally got my shi-, I mean list together.

#50 - All great adventures begin with a fist to a tree.

#49 - Just hacked my way into Jerusalem and now those damn Mongols shows up. The prequel to this game also had a whole bunch of damn Mongols showing up.

Medieval 2: Total War - Solved by S.Peelman

#48 - One of the stars of the previous game is behind bars in this one.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Quest - Solved by The_Liquid_Laser

Last edited by forest-spirit - on 14 November 2019

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
#48 Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
guessed by TruckOSaurus
platform Wii
release year 2007
developer/publisher Capcom
genre adventure, puzzle
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #44
2017: #38

Zack&Wiki is a wacky adventure, very much in the style of classical point-and-click adventures (which I am a big fan of), but utilizing the Wiimote for many actions in the game. It not only copies the gameplay style from old Lucas Arts adventures, it features also the crazy humour. And it casts even a pirate boy in the main role, as the legendary Monkey Island series. But it is not a simple rip-off, art-style, story, the puzzles and their solutions, the use of the Wiimote and the cast of characters make this their very own great adventure game. #capcomdidgood

The game features Zack, a young pirate that is the main character you play and Wiki, his flying monkey companion. You will solve in each stage puzzles with the environment, often mimicking with the Wiimote the action Zack is doing. One main feature is, that you can startle enemies by turning Wiki into a bell and ring it to make a noise. This move will turn the enemies into useful items, that are often needed to solve the puzzle at hand.

In the course of the adventure you search for treasure items from the legendary pirate captain Barbaros that in turn complete his skeleton. You also meet a bunch of other characters, mostly pirates hunting for treasure too.

The game was a fun experience which is pretty much a must-play for classical adventure fans. Sadly it only sold 420K, which makes it unlikely that Capcom will port it to newer platforms (Switch). But it would be pretty nice if Capcom remembered they had this little gem in their catalog and give it a rerelease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTaimZafkk

Excellent pick for the 40's category. This had the best motion controls on the Wii, and was just downright fun!

#48 Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch

PS3

Imagine a Poke'mon game, except it's live action, and developed by RPG masters Level 5. Oh, and Studio Ghibli did the art direction, creature designs, and story. The world of Ni No Kuni is huge. It's just as big as games like Final Fantasy VI, or Dragon Quest VIII. The world is full of secrets and things to do off the beaten path, just like any PS2 era Level 5 game. The story is about a boy who accidentally causes his mother to die. He cries on his doll drippy, causing it to come to life. Drippy then informs him that the boy is from a mirror world, and that he may be able bring his mother back to life. All he has to do is find his mother's doppelganger in the mirror world. And thus begins a roughly 40 hour adventure of collecting monsters, training them up, and equipping them with weapons/armor. Instead of playing this game as a single trainer with a team of creatures, you play with a party of three trainers all at once. Different trainers give boosts to different types of creatures. The main hero buffs physical attackers. Another party member is all about casting spells. I could talk more about this game, but pictures say a lot more than I could. 

forest-spirit said:

Whew, finally got my shi-, I mean list together.

#49 - Just hacked my way into Jerusalem and now those damn Mongols shows up. The prequel to this game also had a whole bunch of damn Mongols showing up.

49: Medieval II Total War?

I feel like I might be able to know the other two as well, but can't seem to come up with a guess.

Jpcc86 said:
S.Peelman said:

48: Double Dragon

47: Ghosts n Goblins

48: Nope

47: Good guess, but im afraid also no =p

Ah. Turtles in Time..

47: Mmm.. maybe then.. Shovel Knight?

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 14 November 2019

Parent game guessed by: Flilix and The_Liquid_Laser

This clone of the NES and arcade classic Solomon's Key was my first venture into a more puzzling style of platforming. Halfway through the nineties my gaming experience was still quite limited, and as far as platformers go I only played Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 at that point. Until we got our first home computer, an Apple Macintosh. At that point in time the only 'Apple store' in this country was basically some guy reselling Apple products while renting a storage unit on some office park. Besides computers, the store also had a shelf with games. So we randomly picked up a couple. Three of those would end up opening my eyes to a variety of gameplay styles and franchises and shaped me as a gamer and even as a person. Step-On-It! was one of those three. Made by a company that usually made productivity apps for MacOS. The player is a toy-robot that can make and break blocks that can act as platforms to stand on or obstacles to avoid enemies. The objective then is to grab the key, and exit through the door. This is easier said than done. While incredibly addictive, the game is also incredibly difficult; I have seen the first 10 to 15 levels countless times, while I have never once seen the last. In fact, I don't even know how many there are!

Alright, next game.

#47: This game features the most annoying character of all time.