By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

#8 Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy takes Mario into a whole new plane of existence with the genius gravity mechanic. Jumping around and between planetoids, abusing the different gravities to do different things just felt so fresh and unique at the time. It really did add a critical fourth dimension of play that wasn't seen in the series before. A lot of Wii games had too much waggle for my tastes, but this one was just right. I actually enjoyed the levels where Mario was trapped inside a ball and had to guide it to the finish line of an obstacle course. Using the pointer to grab starbits or tractorbeam Mario into position was easy and intuitive. The bosses are all excellent, and fairly difficult. Even that piranha plant boss at the start of the game could nearly take you out on the first try. Once you beat the game with all stars you get to play again as Luigi, with a higher jump and harder areas. Oh and that final boss battle with Bowser is the best fight these two have ever had. 

Around the Network

#08 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - Something about this game is very special. Maybe the graphics that improved a lot over the previous title, or the soundtrack that is one of the greatest I ever heard in a game. Anyway, this game has way more secrets than the first game, and even an alternate ending. I just love how they made a dark game, and still friendly to all ages.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

#08 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - Something about this game is very special. Maybe the graphics that improved a lot over the previous title, or the soundtrack that is one of the greatest I ever heard in a game. Anyway, this game has way more secrets than the first game, and even an alternate ending. I just love how they made a dark game, and still friendly to all ages.

This is one of my absolute favourites.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

4.  a) The developer who designed the combat system for this game wanted it to feel more intense and engaging than Fire Emblem.  Consequently, instead of each side going all at once, each character or monster has their own speed stat to determine when they act.
b) Even though this game was somewhat inspired by Fire Emblem, it released outside of Japan before any Fire Emblem game did.
c) This game is a spinoff from a popular game series, but the storyline is inspired by the War of the Roses.
d) Your best friend was long thought to be the hero in this war, but the game starts with a historian who recently found that you, the main protagonist, are the true hero.

3.  a) The combat system for this PC super hero game was inspired by Baldur's Gate.
b) Although this isn't really a Marvel game, the characters seem to pay homage to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age of comics.
c) This PC game probably broke what used to be known as the "Curse of the Super Hero Game" in that it was actually a really good super hero game you could play at home.  Two years later Spider-Man 2 released on PS2 and even further broke the "Curse of the Super Hero Game".
d)  Minute Man, Alchemiss, The Ant, and The Bullet are some of the many characters that you will recruit on your team.

2.  a)  The file size of this popular game is over 200 times larger than the file size of the previous entry in the series.
b) It's an RPG.
c)  It's on the PS1.

#4: Final Fantasy Tactics

#3: Freedom Force

Both Correct.  You've done a great job of defending your title.

Landale_Star said:
Well, I fell way behind. Instead of trying to catch up, I'll just try to finish with my top 6

6. This game features a song with lyrics in Esperanto.
5. Often described as an offline MMORPG, when it released
4. I like this game beacause I'm a puppet

5.  This is how I would describe Morrowind, so that is my guess.
4.  Final Fantasy 7?

Hiku said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

4.  a) The developer who designed the combat system for this game wanted it to feel more intense and engaging than Fire Emblem.  Consequently, instead of each side going all at once, each character or monster has their own speed stat to determine when they act.
b) Even though this game was somewhat inspired by Fire Emblem, it released outside of Japan before any Fire Emblem game did.
c) This game is a spinoff from a popular game series, but the storyline is inspired by the War of the Roses.
d) Your best friend was long thought to be the hero in this war, but the game starts with a historian who recently found that you, the main protagonist, are the true hero.

The story premise reminds me a little bit of SaGa Frontier 2, but I don't think that's it.
Maybe Tactics Ogre?

A good guess, but Mnementh got it.

Hiku said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Never played MGS3.  Only played MSG4 and the original NES game.  I know it has a convoluted story, but I was guessing your clue was referring to Big Boss.  Guess I stumbled into the correct answer anyway.

I didn't consider how similar their names are, but I guess that works out. lol
Good guess none the less.

From what I understand there are also several characters with "Snake" in their name.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Landale_Star said:
Well, I fell way behind. Instead of trying to catch up, I'll just try to finish with my top 6

6. This game features a song with lyrics in Esperanto.
5. Often described as an offline MMORPG, when it released
4. I like this game beacause I'm a puppet

5.  This is how I would describe Morrowind, so that is my guess.
4.  Final Fantasy 7?

Final Fantasy 7 is correct, I didn't know if anyone would get it from that clue! Morrowind isn't correct, this game was still in the early stages of development when Morrowind released and although it's an RPG, it's from another popular subgenre.

Around the Network

No guesses?

Hint 1: What? This game looks like something for little kids!
Hint 2: Lots of water.

Hint 1: Balloons.
Hint 2: Hats.

Hint 1: Snow. A lot of it. Occasionally ice as well.
Hint 2: The game is set in Vancouver.

Hint 1: Le jeu est en 3D pour la première fois.
Hint 2: You meet a 3000 year old king.

Hint 1: An iconic game is used as the intro for this game.
Hint 2: After that, a whole new game follows, which is of course partly based on the iconic game, but its level set-up is quite different.

Hint 1: My signature.

Flilix said:
No guesses?

Hint 1: Balloons.
Hint 2: Hats.

Hint 1: Snow. A lot of it. Occasionally ice as well.
Hint 2: The game is set in Vancouver.

Hint 1: Le jeu est en 3D pour la première fois.
Hint 2: You meet a 3000 year old king.

Hint 2: After that, a whole new game follows, which is of course partly based on the iconic game, but its level set-up is quite different.

Hint 1: My signature.

8: The Wind Waker

4: Wild guess, Donkey Kong 94 on GameBoy

I have signatures disabled lol.

Second hint;

#5: This game actually introduced a lot of this series' mainstays, like a wise guide character, but never really gets the credit.
#5 (Hint 2): Or stuff like mini-bosses, trading and collection sidequests, a musical instrument with different songs for different effects and of course, the fishing game.

S.Peelman said:
Flilix said:

Not that wild of a guess, since they're both correct!

S.Peelman said:
Second hint;

#5: This game actually introduced a lot of this series' mainstays, like a wise guide character, but never really gets the credit.
#5 (Hint 2): Or stuff like mini-bosses, trading and collection sidequests, a musical instrument with different songs for different effects and of course, the fishing game.

Link's Awakening?

Flilix said:
S.Peelman said:

Not that wild of a guess, since they're both correct!

S.Peelman said:
Second hint;

Link's Awakening?

Ha. Nice I was correct on DK94.

You are of course also correct on Link’s Awakening!