By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:
Just two games remain unguessed on my list, so here's another hint for each.
-A space combat game set in the distant future, 32 years after the first great war between the Terran-Vasudan alliance and the mysterious Shivans
-The second, and to date the last game in this series. It ends on a cliffhanger, and its very unlikely we'll ever get to see a conclusion to this story.
-11,000 years before the events of the game, a great war was fought between humans and a race of winged creatures that had enslaved most of the other intelligent races
-Over the course of the game, every main character gains the ability to turn into a more powerful form that once helped the humans win the war 11,000 years ago

2. Really don't know but this kind of sounds like one of the many Ultima games I never played.  Ultima 7?

Not the game in question I'm afraid. It's a PS1 JRPG actually.

Hiku said:

#13 - The third and final game in a trilogy. The main character was featured as a guest character in a Nintendo game a few years ago.
Hint #2: Her name is spelled in ALL CAPS, and sounds like space termonology.

#11 - A Jrpg that takes place in our world. Primarily Europe and asia. This is the first game in that series.
Hint #2: The combat system is turn based, but requires precise button press timing to perform attacks, or else your attacks can miss completely.

13: Xenosaga III?

11: Shadow Hearts?

Around the Network
#7 - Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
Released by Game Freak in 2005, no change in its placing since last year.

Emerald is easily the game I hold more nostalgia for than any other in history. It's music, region, Pokemon and gameplay are all second nature to me. I love every single piece of the game, and can play it with my eyes closed. Ruby and Sapphire were fantastic games, but Emerald added so much to them that improved them in a myriad of different ways. It is the perfect Pokemon game, and one of the few games I could play for eternity on repeat.

#6 - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team (GBA/DS)
Released by Chunsoft in 2005, down one spot from last year.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team are a beautiful set of games. They're the first Pokemon games to truly put story and world exploration front and centre, and they absolutely nail it. They tell an epic adventure with a range of themes, from funny comedic moments to dark and horrifying ones. It tugs at your emotions in ways that I never thought a Pokemon game could, and its artstyle and soundtrack are perfect. The ost in particular is just outstanding - hours and hours of beautiful music. A truly underrated gem.

Down to my top 5, they're not hard to guess, but I'll leave a few hints :P

#5 - An epic RPG in 3 acts, about a band of friends coming together, being split, coming back together and saving the world whilst undergoing incredible personal growth. I wasn't quite done with all its content when I put it on this list, now that I am - it will be higher next year.

#4 - After escaping alien planet, little dude is sent back to go treasure hunting with help of carrot people.

Hiku said:
Keybladewielder said:

#14 - Persona 3?

#11 - Valkyria Chronicles 1?

Sorry for the late reply. You got Persona 3 correct.

#18 - Take the A button from a keyboard, and put it next to the Delete button.
Hint 2: The name of a character.
Answer: Delete + A = Deletea = Delita = Final Fantasy Tactics

#13 - The third and final game in a trilogy. The main character was featured as a guest character in a Nintendo game a few years ago.
Hint #2: Her name is spelled in ALL CAPS, and sounds like space termonology.

#12 - The antagonist's name was stolen from another character, after stealing the body of yet another character. This is the second game in that rpg series.
Hint #2: If you try to explain the plot of this Jrpg series to someone, you'll look like this.

#11 - A Jrpg that takes place in our world. Primarily Europe and asia. This is the first game in that series.
Hint #2: The combat system is turn based, but requires precise button press timing to perform attacks, or else your attacks can miss completely.

#10 - The worst shit anyone's boss ever pulled on them.

#9 - Everyone knows about a character dying in this game, even if they haven't played it.

12.  Kingdom Hearts 2

11.  Gladius

10.  One of those Metal Gear games.  Metal Gear Solid 3?

9.  Final Fantasy 7.

More clues:

4.  a) The developer who designed the combat system for this game wanted it to feel more intense and engaging than Fire Emblem.  Consequently, instead of each side going all at once, each character or monster has their own speed stat to determine when they act.
b) Even though this game was somewhat inspired by Fire Emblem, it released outside of Japan before any Fire Emblem game did.
c) This game is a spinoff from a popular game series, but the storyline is inspired by the War of the Roses.
d) Your best friend was long thought to be the hero in this war, but the game starts with a historian who recently found that you, the main protagonist, are the true hero.

3.  a) The combat system for this PC super hero game was inspired by Baldur's Gate.
b) Although this isn't really a Marvel game, the characters seem to pay homage to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age of comics.
c) This PC game probably broke what used to be known as the "Curse of the Super Hero Game" in that it was actually a really good super hero game you could play at home.  Two years later Spider-Man 2 released on PS2 and even further broke the "Curse of the Super Hero Game".
d)  Minute Man, Alchemiss, The Ant, and The Bullet are some of the many characters that you will recruit on your team.

2.  a)  The file size of this popular game is over 200 times larger than the file size of the previous entry in the series.
b) It's an RPG.
c)  It's on the PS1.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

4.  a) The developer who designed the combat system for this game wanted it to feel more intense and engaging than Fire Emblem.  Consequently, instead of each side going all at once, each character or monster has their own speed stat to determine when they act.
b) Even though this game was somewhat inspired by Fire Emblem, it released outside of Japan before any Fire Emblem game did.
c) This game is a spinoff from a popular game series, but the storyline is inspired by the War of the Roses.
d) Your best friend was long thought to be the hero in this war, but the game starts with a historian who recently found that you, the main protagonist, are the true hero.

3.  a) The combat system for this PC super hero game was inspired by Baldur's Gate.
b) Although this isn't really a Marvel game, the characters seem to pay homage to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age of comics.
c) This PC game probably broke what used to be known as the "Curse of the Super Hero Game" in that it was actually a really good super hero game you could play at home.  Two years later Spider-Man 2 released on PS2 and even further broke the "Curse of the Super Hero Game".
d)  Minute Man, Alchemiss, The Ant, and The Bullet are some of the many characters that you will recruit on your team.

2.  a)  The file size of this popular game is over 200 times larger than the file size of the previous entry in the series.
b) It's an RPG.
c)  It's on the PS1.

Tough to say.

4: Yugioh: Duelist of Roses?

3: City of Heroes/ City of Villains?

2: FFVII?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

#15 Resident Evil 4 

(..) This was the first game to have context sensitive actions dedicated to a single button. This meant that climbing, opening a container, kicking a plagues etc. all worked on the same single button. (..)

What about Ocarina of Time? And that probably wasn’t the first either.

Right you are. RE4 did take it to a whole new level though. 

RingoGaSuki said:
#7 - Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
Released by Game Freak in 2005, no change in its placing since last year.

Emerald is easily the game I hold more nostalgia for than any other in history. It's music, region, Pokemon and gameplay are all second nature to me. I love every single piece of the game, and can play it with my eyes closed. Ruby and Sapphire were fantastic games, but Emerald added so much to them that improved them in a myriad of different ways. It is the perfect Pokemon game, and one of the few games I could play for eternity on repeat.

#6 - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team (GBA/DS)
Released by Chunsoft in 2005, down one spot from last year.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team are a beautiful set of games. They're the first Pokemon games to truly put story and world exploration front and centre, and they absolutely nail it. They tell an epic adventure with a range of themes, from funny comedic moments to dark and horrifying ones. It tugs at your emotions in ways that I never thought a Pokemon game could, and its artstyle and soundtrack are perfect. The ost in particular is just outstanding - hours and hours of beautiful music. A truly underrated gem.

Down to my top 5, they're not hard to guess, but I'll leave a few hints :P

#5 - An epic RPG in 3 acts, about a band of friends coming together, being split, coming back together and saving the world whilst undergoing incredible personal growth. I wasn't quite done with all its content when I put it on this list, now that I am - it will be higher next year.

#4 - After escaping alien planet, little dude is sent back to go treasure hunting with help of carrot people.

I'm going to have to give this one a shot. The reviews for it back in the day were insanely harsh. But a lot of that had to do with people reviewing the DS version of the game and complaining that it was just a straight up GBA port. Also, a lot of Poke'mon fans reviewed this expecting Poke'mon. Instead they got a rogue-like dungeon crawler in an era when almost nobody knew wtf a Rogue-Like was. 

Yep. This, and Poke'mon Conquest are on my wanted list now. 

Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:

12: Don’t know about the first hint, but the second makes me think of Kingdom Hearts. So, Kingdom Hearts 2?

9: Final Fantasy VII. You’re right, haven’t played the game but know about the death.

Sounds like you haven't played KH2. Have you not played any games in the series, but still got the hint? The first hint was meant for both people that have played it, and for those who haven't but may have heard how convoluted the story is. Though I didn't think anyone who hasn't played it would make the guess, so good job in that case.

I did figure most ppl would get FF7 though.

That is a cool graphic. No all I played from Kingdom Hearts is a demo of one of them one time. I know about the timeline being especially complicated due to Youtubers like AVGN and such though.

mZuzek said:

I'm gonna get ahead of myself and hint the next one already.

#4 - The game's intro cutscene starts with a hawk, and the final post-credits scene ends with a hawk too. The hawk's got nothing to do with the story, but you can even ride it!

Shadow of the Colossus?

More hints:

08 - You and your girlfriend must save the big monkey.
07 - You start the game as a Dark Knight, then you become a Paladin.
06 - The best-selling game for SNES!