By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like Walking Simulators?

Tagged games:

Do you like Walking Simulators?

Yes 6 17.65%

It depends 10 29.41%

No 18 52.94%

Total:34

Racing simulator sounds appealing, though. Walking simulator does not, and does not accurately describe any game. I think it was a term made up to describe a collection of games that involve little gameplay mechanics other than walking around.

Around the Network

I'm not sure I ever played one.

Is Rime a walking simulator? I guess not really, more of a puzzle-platformer, but anyway, I liked that one at least.

Don't know if the Vanishing of Ethan Carter falls under this category, but I think it does, and I absolutely loved this game. I also really enjoyed Myst back in the day, although the walking part was still quite rudimentar.

I guess I'm not always in the mood for this type of game, but every now and again I enjoy playing them.

Not sure, I haven't played Death Stranding yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Would Shattered Memories clasify as a walking simulator?
If so, then yes.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Would Shattered Memories clasify as a walking simulator?
If so, then yes.

Well, it has some puzzles and chase sequences, but also a lot of walking moments where nothing happens, so... Maybe, I'm not sure.

No, I've got to have something more to do than just walk, even if it's just random RPG encounters.

Adore them. Some of my all tike favorite games are derogatorily called "walking simulators". Dear Esther is a masterpiece, What Remains of Edith Finch is one of the best games of the last decade, and even simpler, more experimental titles like Bound (or the way older The Graveyard) can be mesmerizing. It's not a genre for everybody, that is certain, but not calling them games cand be the most arrogant and simple-minded statement from somebody who calls him/herself a gamer. It is funny how many jumped on Roger Ebert when he called out games as an art form, and the same people got completely lost in their own asses when it comes down to modern adventure titles.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

finalrpgfantasy said:
I don't hate them. I played "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" and I enjoyed it, but I'm pretty sure that playing big doses of these types of games can become tiresome.

Well, in all honesty, this is true for pretty much every genre. After playing through a more dynamic FPS (like DOOM) I always feel the need to play something like Monkey Island

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Nah, they are too bookish. Like audio books, but audiovisual books. I guess there are better ones and not so good ones, but in general they tend to feel like empty and hollow worlds, where you just follow the bread crumbs to unveil a story, like reading pages of a book one by one and following a set path. Many of the stories seem to be about someone's personal issues and nothing really remarkable happens. That's just not enough to get me excited.