By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Hideo or not to Hideo? That is the Kojima. [Death Stranding disscussion]

I am...

Loving DS 16 32.65%

Enjoyig DS 6 12.24%

Middle of the road. 1 2.04%

Disliking DS 5 10.20%

Hating DS 7 14.29%

Not sure yet. 8 16.33%

Other. 6 12.24%

Total:49

I hate how IGN is pushing the idea the game isn't FUN. Seriously, isn't the game fun? And it gets more fun the more you play and unlock things. I was already having fun, but then I saw the concept of Zip Lines and became even more fun. I really like this game. I hope it does well in the end. A bit upsetting seeing a big site like IGN with such strong Agenda against it and make people that didn't even play say the game is painful and boring when it is one of the most addicing games on PS4.

Around the Network
youngbr said:
I hate how IGN is pushing the idea the game isn't FUN. Seriously, isn't the game fun? And it gets more fun the more you play and unlock things. I was already having fun, but then I saw the concept of Zip Lines and became even more fun. I really like this game. I hope it does well in the end. A bit upsetting seeing a big site like IGN with such strong Agenda against it and make people that didn't even play say the game is painful and boring when it is one of the most addicing games on PS4.

Then i saw them putting an article recently saying something lik "the game only get's good after finish it", and i felt insulted. The game allows you to do most of it in episode 3, so if you want you can do 90-95% of the game from there. The social strand system is in full motion already and it was during ep 3 when i became addicted to the gaming loop. And like you said, Ziplines was just a amazing extra.

I am replaying the game from the beginning, mostly following the main story, at a normal pace, without hurries, trying new routes, reading each email, just savouring the game and i just arrived at episode 3 around 7h. It's obvious now that until then the game is a giant and long tutorial, but it takes so much time, because the game is..., yes, slow, but that doesn't mean you are not having fun while you're playing. Very few games have achieved losing my sense of time like this game does, maybe i'm a victim from some chiralium exposition....

This replaying is making me value/understanding way better the story too, now that i know how it ends. Is making me notice much more what and who the characters are, specially Amelie, by far the most complex character in the game and what characters actually represents artistically. These first few episodes are reminding me, that the writing is indeed really good a the beginning of the game too, only after episode 3 is when i started seeing Kojima doing his usual Kojima things...., most probably on purpose, because he always wants to remind you that you're actually playing a game.

But again, "Narrative" is a construction of various parts: Story/script, storytelling and writing, and in the first two parts, Death Stranding is indeed sublime, only having a few problems here and there with the writing part.

In conclusion, the more i think about the game, the more i think is a masterpiece that will be remembered for years. It has more in common with games like ICO, or Journey than with the common generic action/adventure game, the only difference with those is that it had a triple AAA budget and is generally way bigger and complex. This game is trying to express some things through its gameplay that no other games are even trying and that is something absolutely remakable. If there are people who doesn't want to experience this like there was people who didn't want to experience games like ICO or Journey because they were not "funny games", well, it's their choice, but don't have the courage of saying that this game is bad and you are not going to enjoy it, or worse, that you CAN'T enjoy it.

John2290 said:

I feel the only place it truly slipped for me besides a few small gripes is the lost opportunity to make use of dead corpses. In the same way as if you get killed by a BT you leave a crator/mini voidout it would be so cool if a corpse you leave does the same instead of just a game over screen when it goes necro. I can see the problems with this of corse and how difficult it would be to implement but it would have been so friggin cool.

Would have been friggin cool indeed, but i guess that if they did not implement it must be because they had their reasons. Probably it would've broke the game if players could start killing without hesitation other NPC's....Voidouts are told in the game as giant explotions, way bigger that when in the game a BT can shallow you. I think the reason why when you're shallowed by BT's the explosion is smaller is because Sam is repatriate, but who knows....

Look at IGN flip-flopping

Guys, I just want to say I finally finished the game! After 75h and 250.000 likes. I really liked it and it is now in my top 10 favorite PS4 games. What an amazing experience. I do plan to keep playing it because I do want 5 star every place.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
youngbr said:

Guys, I just want to say I finally finished the game! After 75h and 250.000 likes. I really liked it and it is now in my top 10 favorite PS4 games. What an amazing experience. I do plan to keep playing it because I do want 5 star every place.

If you are going for the platinum make sure you know what the "Growth of a legend trophy" and the one that goes along with it actually means and you can cut 10 hours off by blending that work into 5 staring all the stations. Oh and get the hidden outposts on the UCA grid first and foremost and prioritze them until they have at least 3 stars. Gratz and best of luck. 

Thank you for the tips! I do plan trying to go for the platinum, are you doing it now?

John2290 said:
youngbr said:

Thank you for the tips! I do plan trying to go for the platinum, are you doing it now?

I've done it and I'm still playing in short bursts, haha. Tried to salvage my Zipline network today but they went past the point of no return so my next session will be to go and repair them with a truck full of supplies. Don't ask me why i am doing it cuase I don't really know myself, lol. 

haha how many likes you have now? Must have so many!

John2290 said:
youngbr said:

haha how many likes you have now? Must have so many!

Lord knows, last I took notice was 300k and everytime I log in it adds a few thousand more but bring that down to induvulidual people and it's probably only a few hundred from my server or how ever the world instances work. 

Somehow I can't find the missions to level up the "Movie Producer" guy. He is still with 2 stars and I just can't find any deliver for him. 

deskpro2k3 said:

IGN is not a person. That said, why play a game that gets good at the end when you could play a game that's good throughout?

KLAMarine said:
deskpro2k3 said:

IGN is not a person. That said, why play a game that gets good at the end when you could play a game that's good throughout?

Imagine reviewers only playing the plateau of Zelda:Breath Of The Wild and telling us that it has no depth in gameplay and story,well that is how a lot of the negative reviews against Death stranding behave.

Consuming time to form a decent opinion,hell no for some of those critics.