By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Hideo or not to Hideo? That is the Kojima. [Death Stranding disscussion]

I am...

Loving DS 16 32.65%

Enjoyig DS 6 12.24%

Middle of the road. 1 2.04%

Disliking DS 5 10.20%

Hating DS 7 14.29%

Not sure yet. 8 16.33%

Other. 6 12.24%

Total:49
John2290 said:

I feel the only place it truly slipped for me besides a few small gripes is the lost opportunity to make use of dead corpses. In the same way as if you get killed by a BT you leave a crator/mini voidout it would be so cool if a corpse you leave does the same instead of just a game over screen when it goes necro. I can see the problems with this of corse and how difficult it would be to implement but it would have been so friggin cool.

Would have been friggin cool indeed, but i guess that if they did not implement it must be because they had their reasons. Probably it would've broke the game if players could start killing without hesitation other NPC's....Voidouts are told in the game as giant explotions, way bigger that when in the game a BT can shallow you. I think the reason why when you're shallowed by BT's the explosion is smaller is because Sam is repatriate, but who knows....

Around the Network

Look at IGN flip-flopping

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Guys, I just want to say I finally finished the game! After 75h and 250.000 likes. I really liked it and it is now in my top 10 favorite PS4 games. What an amazing experience. I do plan to keep playing it because I do want 5 star every place.

John2290 said:
youngbr said:

Guys, I just want to say I finally finished the game! After 75h and 250.000 likes. I really liked it and it is now in my top 10 favorite PS4 games. What an amazing experience. I do plan to keep playing it because I do want 5 star every place.

If you are going for the platinum make sure you know what the "Growth of a legend trophy" and the one that goes along with it actually means and you can cut 10 hours off by blending that work into 5 staring all the stations. Oh and get the hidden outposts on the UCA grid first and foremost and prioritze them until they have at least 3 stars. Gratz and best of luck. 

Thank you for the tips! I do plan trying to go for the platinum, are you doing it now?

John2290 said:
youngbr said:

Thank you for the tips! I do plan trying to go for the platinum, are you doing it now?

I've done it and I'm still playing in short bursts, haha. Tried to salvage my Zipline network today but they went past the point of no return so my next session will be to go and repair them with a truck full of supplies. Don't ask me why i am doing it cuase I don't really know myself, lol. 

haha how many likes you have now? Must have so many!

Around the Network
John2290 said:
youngbr said:

haha how many likes you have now? Must have so many!

Lord knows, last I took notice was 300k and everytime I log in it adds a few thousand more but bring that down to induvulidual people and it's probably only a few hundred from my server or how ever the world instances work. 

Somehow I can't find the missions to level up the "Movie Producer" guy. He is still with 2 stars and I just can't find any deliver for him. 

deskpro2k3 said:

IGN is not a person. That said, why play a game that gets good at the end when you could play a game that's good throughout?

KLAMarine said:
deskpro2k3 said:

IGN is not a person. That said, why play a game that gets good at the end when you could play a game that's good throughout?

Imagine reviewers only playing the plateau of Zelda:Breath Of The Wild and telling us that it has no depth in gameplay and story,well that is how a lot of the negative reviews against Death stranding behave.

Consuming time to form a decent opinion,hell no for some of those critics.

KLAMarine said:
deskpro2k3 said:

That person from IGN played alone with no co-connection for every mechanic to work. Then made their review. I call it IGN flippity-floppiting.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

After seeing 2nd week sales numbers already popping for some markets i'm starting to get a better picture about how well Death Stranding must have done saleswise.

By my own calculations (just in my head based in data and previous experience with other games), i think Death Stranding must have done around 1'6M units sold worldwide first week (counting digital), and another 400-500k in its 2nd week so after 2nd week the game must be around 2'0-2'1M units sold. I expect the game to be around 3'0M by years end.

For comparison:

God of War did 3'1M 1st week (official numbers) and probably was around 4'2M after 2nd week. The game must be around 11-12M by now.

Spider-Man did 3'3M 1st week (official numbers) and probably was around 4'8M after 2nd week. The game must have sold more than 14M by now.

Horizon Zero dawn probably did 2'0M 1st week and sold 2'6M after 2nd week (official numbers). The game must be around 11-12M by now.

Uncharted 4 did 2'7M 1st week (official numbers) and around 3'5M after 2nd week. The game must have sold around 17M by now.

Days Gone probably did 1'8M 1st week and 2'5M after 2nd week. The game is probably going to be around 5-6M by year's end.

So Death Stranding must be below those games. It's obvious that an obscure marketing campaign about how the game worked, subpar tv advertsing, the annoucement of a PC port just 1 week before launch and the review bombing of some big gaming reviews like IGN affected heavily the impact of the sales of the game. A real shame.

Despite that, if Death Stranding sells around 3M by years end, i'm pretty sure the game will end selling around 5-6M lifetime on PS4, at least (i expect it to have more frontloaded sales than those other games like MGS games). I don't think the PC will add that much, probably a few 100k's and if the game launches on PS5 with a revision it will probably add around 1-2M more, so in the end, Death Stranding would be considered a success commercially (because i don't think this game was that expensive to make as some people think). I really think word of mouth is going to be great with this game too so the game will keep selling when the game drops to 20-30$ range. Winning a lot GOTY's this year is going to help too. Who knows, if word of mouth is better than anticipated maybe the game ends selling even more. It totally deserves it....

Last edited by colafitte - on 25 November 2019