By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Hideo or not to Hideo? That is the Kojima. [Death Stranding disscussion]

I am...

Loving DS 16 32.65%

Enjoyig DS 6 12.24%

Middle of the road. 1 2.04%

Disliking DS 5 10.20%

Hating DS 7 14.29%

Not sure yet. 8 16.33%

Other. 6 12.24%

Total:49

This game is so addicting, it is crazy. How many LIKES do you guys have so far? I am with 145.000.

Around the Network

This game is a fucking awesome rollercoaster.... Yes, the writing and dialogue is very cringe and ridicule at times, but, oh my god if Kojima knows how to make moments memorable.

Just finished chapter 9 yesterday. What an experience all around. Just realizing what have to do to get to chapter 9 was one of those Kojima magic/genious moments. When the game tells you "you probably should know what to do by now", i spent a few seconds thinking...."mmmm, is he implying doing THAT??", and after doubting a few more seconds i did it.... and it was awesome because it worked. It was a leap of faith perfectly awarded.

And the rest of the chapter..., well that's entering spoiler territory.... but let's say i got MGS vibes from it.

Super super impressive game. A full Kojima experience, with the bad (writing and dialogues sometimes) but mostly all the good things (script, characters, memorable moments) about his games.

The ending seems really close now....Super hyped to see how it goes. God bless we have a person like Kojima doing this kind of games in this industry. Without him, videogaming would be way more less interesting.

John2290 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Lol i got 20000 likes in half an hour yesterday just from firstly investing in the most important "structures",it is what i do first before letting others in on it :p(there might be a trophy for this idk)

Yeah see, this kind of development is the one that has a chance of making entirely new genres and if they're arent new genres then they surely bring unique experiences,it is risky and investors of massive publishing companies do not like this.(This really speaks well for Sony with how much freedom they gave him.)

Also something stupid:

Spoiler!
The junk dealer in central area quest had me thinking i needed to look for his daughter,and she kinda really acted like his daughter so it was a WTF moment when they told me about marrying eachother.

What do you mean, investing first and then lettibg other people in? 

Putting resources in before connecting the distribution center/windmill/other of that area,cause that is when you also connect that area and what you build with other people playing the game right?

I might be wrong.

John2290 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Putting resources in before connecting the distribution center/windmill/other of that area,cause that is when you also connect that area and what you build with other people playing the game right?

I might be wrong.

Oh yeah, I get yeah. Building the road. Indeed it seems that when you connect you get a chunck of what people provided but it leaves a bit left for you to fill yourself. I've only had people actuslly finish roads on my network 3 times in the course of about 50 hours being in the mid west. Your way makes sense, get those ziplines down while you journey though and the road becomes a secondary mode of travel. 

Well on a sidenote i must give props to you for always making these discscussion threads after the launch of the mostly hyped games,most interesting threads on this forum to be a part of imo.

50h playing.
I just reached chapter 8.
I understand if you only follow the story the game isn't that long, but if you want to enjoy it the way it was meant to be this game is very lengthy.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
youngbr said:

50h playing.
I just reached chapter 8.
I understand if you only follow the story the game isn't that long, but if you want to enjoy it the way it was meant to be this game is very lengthy.

There is a word for that. It's a girthy game, lots of girth and thickness to it. I'm at 75 hours and about 10 of those are post credits. I log on and I just can't stop. I may have to delete it off my HDD if this keeps up, lost over 4 hours today just repairing my structures while managing deliveries and I swear it felt like 20 minutes had passed. Crazy that a game like this can be so addicting. 

Today for me was the day to make the Ziplines. I did well, but it frustrated me I still couldn't find a way to link "Robotics"? I think that is the name. I am playing in my language so here it is a bit different.

Ziplines are so fun and trying to find a way to link the mountains places is very cool.

Finished the game yesterday at almost 60h of playtime. What a ride....

After finish it, i can now confidently say that this game has way better gameplay than story/writing which is my ultimate surprise about this game. The story concept/theme is fascinating, and the characters are interesting, but Kojima's writing has got worse with the years and Death Stranding is probably the worst in this case. His writing is basically based in saying a LOT but telling almost nothing. It's very expositive or too much vague. Too much cringe or too much messy. The only scenes where i didn't find any problems where with Mads Mikkelsen's character, which i found by far being the best ones. Kojima's "moments" or "experiences" work better when they're interactive, when they make you do something. When you sit and just listen to dialogue they mostly end in a feeling of...."ugh, was that necessary??". I barely understood the motivations of some characters either because i was lost between so much dialogue that i did not understand, and i am guy who understood the ending of Evangelion when i was 15 yeras old, so i know one thing or two about complicated themes and stories.... I guess i'll need a rewatch and some help from the internet to understand exactly what happened. In conclusion, the writing is a 5/10 at best.

It's a shame because the rest of the game is a 9-10/10 easily. The gaming loop is addicting, the setting is awesome and is a pleasure to explore it and find ways to move on. Giving deliveries to progress the world is really awarded, and the items they give to you in the game are always useful and fun to use. Even some boss battles can be spectacular and tense too.

Audiovisually this game is awesome, and the use of the music is very emotional. There's a moment in the last chapter where the use of one the main songs is used perfecly. It was one of those magic moments i mentioned earlier. That made the last scene very good at the end, so you really finish the game satisfactorily.

With a better writing this game could have competed for GOTG for me. Despite that, this game is still a 9/10 for me, and a top 5 PS4 game overall. Just behind the level of God of War, The Witcher III, Horizon Zero Dawn, on par with games like Uncharted 4, Nier Automata, Spider-Man, Metal Gear Solid V and ahead of games like Resident Evil 2, Red Dead Redemption II, Bloodborne.

John2290 said:
I can't stop playing. I'm at over 85 hours and I'm still not even close to being bored. Platinum, I guess if I can manage the legend of legend deliveries.

I'm at Chapter 6 now,not playing all days as i just wait till i can get longer gamingsessions for it.

It is addicting and new gameplayelements are constantly being tossed in.

I hate how IGN is pushing the idea the game isn't FUN. Seriously, isn't the game fun? And it gets more fun the more you play and unlock things. I was already having fun, but then I saw the concept of Zip Lines and became even more fun. I really like this game. I hope it does well in the end. A bit upsetting seeing a big site like IGN with such strong Agenda against it and make people that didn't even play say the game is painful and boring when it is one of the most addicing games on PS4.

youngbr said:
I hate how IGN is pushing the idea the game isn't FUN. Seriously, isn't the game fun? And it gets more fun the more you play and unlock things. I was already having fun, but then I saw the concept of Zip Lines and became even more fun. I really like this game. I hope it does well in the end. A bit upsetting seeing a big site like IGN with such strong Agenda against it and make people that didn't even play say the game is painful and boring when it is one of the most addicing games on PS4.

Then i saw them putting an article recently saying something lik "the game only get's good after finish it", and i felt insulted. The game allows you to do most of it in episode 3, so if you want you can do 90-95% of the game from there. The social strand system is in full motion already and it was during ep 3 when i became addicted to the gaming loop. And like you said, Ziplines was just a amazing extra.

I am replaying the game from the beginning, mostly following the main story, at a normal pace, without hurries, trying new routes, reading each email, just savouring the game and i just arrived at episode 3 around 7h. It's obvious now that until then the game is a giant and long tutorial, but it takes so much time, because the game is..., yes, slow, but that doesn't mean you are not having fun while you're playing. Very few games have achieved losing my sense of time like this game does, maybe i'm a victim from some chiralium exposition....

This replaying is making me value/understanding way better the story too, now that i know how it ends. Is making me notice much more what and who the characters are, specially Amelie, by far the most complex character in the game and what characters actually represents artistically. These first few episodes are reminding me, that the writing is indeed really good a the beginning of the game too, only after episode 3 is when i started seeing Kojima doing his usual Kojima things...., most probably on purpose, because he always wants to remind you that you're actually playing a game.

But again, "Narrative" is a construction of various parts: Story/script, storytelling and writing, and in the first two parts, Death Stranding is indeed sublime, only having a few problems here and there with the writing part.

In conclusion, the more i think about the game, the more i think is a masterpiece that will be remembered for years. It has more in common with games like ICO, or Journey than with the common generic action/adventure game, the only difference with those is that it had a triple AAA budget and is generally way bigger and complex. This game is trying to express some things through its gameplay that no other games are even trying and that is something absolutely remakable. If there are people who doesn't want to experience this like there was people who didn't want to experience games like ICO or Journey because they were not "funny games", well, it's their choice, but don't have the courage of saying that this game is bad and you are not going to enjoy it, or worse, that you CAN'T enjoy it.