By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Hideo or not to Hideo? That is the Kojima. [Death Stranding disscussion]

I am...

Loving DS 16 32.65%

Enjoyig DS 6 12.24%

Middle of the road. 1 2.04%

Disliking DS 5 10.20%

Hating DS 7 14.29%

Not sure yet. 8 16.33%

Other. 6 12.24%

Total:49
KLAMarine said:
John2290 said:

If they can game-ify this, they can game-ify anything. Putting "A post apocalyptic, postman game where yout hike across America" on paper and it doesn't sound so absurd from "A game where you deal with life a a narcaplyptic, door to door sales man". :D

You still avoiding DS like the plague, KLAM?

...Doesn't look like my kind of game...

You can try it out with share play,i would be happy if could help someone in this way.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
KLAMarine said:

...Doesn't look like my kind of game...

You can try it out with share play,i would be happy if could help someone in this way.

I appreciate the offer but I don't have a ps4. I just watched someone else playing it and it didn't appeal to me...

Thanks regardless.

Reviewers said that the game was around 40-50h to finish. I am like 25h and still on chapter 3. I can see myself putting 90h in this game!

10hrs'ish non-stop so far. Really enjoying it.

I'll admit I was skeptical at first but this is fun.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Just beat it and....wow. Might not be one of my favorite games of all time, but man will it be a memorable one. Hope it does well. Nice to see a AAA game not influenced in the slightest by corporal suits. This is 100% Kojimas game. Whatever flaws I might think this game has, Im glad I got to experience it.

Around the Network

Now you all have played it for a while, should I cave in and play online or is it fine to play off line? I rather not see other people's stuff all over the place but perhaps that's the whole point of the game? I have no clue as I've been avoiding reviews and stuff, but confused about the online stuff.

Finished Chapter 2 last night. Here are my thoughts on the game so far:

Spoiler!

Chapter 1: I went into this game with very little knowledge, and the narrative in Chapter 1 did a fantastic job of getting me hooked right from the start. For some reason I was expecting there to be a ton of cutscenes before I'd get to control my character, so I was very pleasantly surprised to see gameplay so quickly.

The opening hours of the game were excellent. I really liked the mission with Igor (the corpse disposal guy). I like the small details such as the tears when in the presence of BTs, the handprints all over Sam's body. The period of relief where music plays while you finish a long mission.

Chapter 2: Chapter 2 was filled with exploration and contained much more gameplay than the first chapter. Everything seemed so perfectly executed as well. Having you travel so far away from Capital Knot, to then get the trike, to then have to travel all the way back. Despite not having access to any sort of fast travel, it never felt like back-tracking.

During the course of the chapter, new game mechanics were paced very nicely so as to not overwhelm me with options. I'm expecting this to continue for some time, as was the case with MGS V.

There are quite a few lore-related questions I have that I'm not certain if the game has explained or not. I'll document them here, although if anyone chimes in I may wait until finishing the game before reading said input. (I'm quite sensitive to spoilers.)

One thing I'm wondering is how large the population in America is. I'm not sure if it's been stated anywhere. The biggest thing I'm left wondering about is what humans are up to? Why am I only seeing holograms of people in most cases instead of actual real people?

My guess (based on what I've learned so far) is that technology caused humans to become more isolated over time, and people prefer to keep to themselves. There is definitely something going on with these "beaches", and how when I bring in cargo, the hologram dude is able to inspect the cargo despite being a hologram and not actually being there with me.

I also have been thinking that maybe everyone lives in a parallel universe, and that is what a beach sort of is. This is why other human players of the game can't see each other, but are able to leave messages and structures. It's like we are interacting with each other across worlds.

So maybe the "Death Stranding" caused everyone to be isolated into their own world? Haha, I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore, and I'm probably clueless compared to everyone else.

Either way, being this clueless has been fun for me, so if I am missing something important here, it has led to me wondering about this game quite a lot, and I'm happy for that.

As a whole, so far this game has been one of the best experiences i've had in gaming. I still have a long way to go, so it's still possible for things to turn sideways or get boring and repetitive, but so far I'm hooked.

I just started, still on chapter 2, a few questions: is all that lost cargo scattered around the field supposed to be delivered ONLY to the intended destination?...can you drop them at a random postbox?...is it worth it to deliver them to the intended destination?...like, are the rewards worth it?....is there any reward at all if you take them to a postbox instead of the intended destination?

John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:
Now you all have played it for a while, should I cave in and play online or is it fine to play off line? I rather not see other people's stuff all over the place but perhaps that's the whole point of the game? I have no clue as I've been avoiding reviews and stuff, but confused about the online stuff.

The online is the exceptional part of the game, without it I wouldn't bother with it if I were you. It's possible but it would extend the game quite a bit and this communal feelig of building paths and working with other people you don't even see all goes out the window. 

Regarding, peoples stuff all over the place, it's done in a limited way so there is no mess as far as I can see and you can delete something if it bothers you. I have had to only delete a handful of structures mid way through but that was not to avoid mess but to make way for my own paths. It had some kind of algorithm where things appear in your world as if it was you who judged the spot, perhaps the ammount an structure or object gets used. It works, trust me. I've also only seen one instance of trolling in 45 hours and they failed for reasons I can't spoil. 

It's masterful, I can't recommend it but I can say it is one of the best games I've played all year, easily the best sony 1st party since GoW and the most addicting since the early days of minecraft before it was taken over by kids. It's not reaply like any other game but feels like a conbination of every third person genre mixed with some strategy games and the cutscenes of a high budget TV show. It is the closest I've seen an RTS game becoming a third person action game I can remember playing and all the things the mix create something that feels new. It would be a shame to miss out on this. 

Thanks, sounds good. I'm just afraid of spoilers everywhere like I had in Dark Souls when starting the game a few months after it was out. The online didn't work very well for me there as any help I summoned would kill the boss in 10 seconds while getting invaded by high level players was zero fun.

Hopefully Death stranding is a lot smarter with later starting players.

IDK WTF is wrong with IGN, they must be smoking some terrible shit. True story.

Hard facts, only Hideo can make walking fun. I think maybe I'm +20hours and in Chapter 3. I want to keep playing but I need sleep.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5