By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Hideo or not to Hideo? That is the Kojima. [Death Stranding disscussion]

I am...

Loving DS 16 32.65%

Enjoyig DS 6 12.24%

Middle of the road. 1 2.04%

Disliking DS 5 10.20%

Hating DS 7 14.29%

Not sure yet. 8 16.33%

Other. 6 12.24%

Total:49
John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

~ snip

You have a more technical eye, doing what you do, so i'll take your word for it but I'm just going from what I see on the screen. 

As for the aliasing it is there on my TV, It's not a majour problem yeah but I'm just saying Devs should eliminate that before all else. You can have a great looking buolding but if the railings around it are shimmering mad it makes it look lesser. The Pro has no supersmapling option when you are connected to a 4k TV unfortunately so perhaps you are getting a better experience playing at 1440p in this area using that feature. 

It's not just a matter of devs getting rid of it. More often than not, they use a multi-sampling feature that is often taxing on the engine. Thus, they cut corners (using 2x multi vs 4 or 8). The result is a relatively clean image with better performance. No matter how much hardware power there is, the engines still demand what they demand. Unless you game on a decent PC, console games will still run into this issue from time-to-time, but considering how much worse the 360/PS3 era was, they have made ridiculous improvements (and higher resolutions will continue to be the best anecdote).

That said, I know everyone's experience is different and the slightest blemish on an otherwise perfect image can be frustrating (why I ultimately got into both PC gaming and 3D art), so I do empathize with you.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

It's not just a matter of devs getting rid of it. More often than not, they use a multi-sampling feature that is often taxing on the engine. Thus, they cut corners (using 2x multi vs 4 or 8). The result is a relatively clean image with better performance. No matter how much hardware power there is, the engines still demand what they demand. Unless you game on a decent PC, console games will still run into this issue from time-to-time, but considering how much worse the 360/PS3 era was, they have made ridiculous improvements (and higher resolutions will continue to be the best anecdote).

That said, I know everyone's experience is different and the slightest blemish on an otherwise perfect image can be frustrating (why I ultimately got into both PC gaming and 3D art), so I do empathize with you.

For sure. I'm curious though, what size screen are you using the super sampling feature with? 1440p, right? 

Actually, I'm still in 1080 on the Pro. The reason? It doesn't do 4K as good as the X, doesn't do 1440 at all, and the games look marvelous when downsampled + supersampled. I'll be adding another 4K monitor to my setup when the 5 is out.

installing DS right now, I'll let y'all know how I like or dislike later'ish

John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Actually, I'm still in 1080 on the Pro. The reason? It doesn't do 4K as good as the X, doesn't do 1440 at all, and the games look marvelous when downsampled + supersampled. I'll be adding another 4K monitor to my setup when the 5 is out.

Now you have me curius enough to hook up my 1080p to the pro to see if there is a difference with supersampling. Downsampling is automatic, right? Do you use boost mode or not?

I'll let ya know, I'll be a bit pissed off if they could have provided a less shimmery image at the cost of rwsolition through a performance mode, tbh. 

Yep, I use Boost and Supersampling. Down is automatic, yes.

People who may find the game boring also may be the ones that are rushing the game. This game is not supposed to rush, you gotta take your time. Sometimes build a bridge or something. Gather materials for a highway etc. You will enjoy more if you don't RUSH and take your time.
Today was day 3 and it is the day I enjoyed the game the most.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yep, I use Boost and Supersampling. Down is automatic, yes.

I see, the edges get blurred alright so the shimmer gets cleaner in a way but it's not worthy of the massive loss to detail and of course the HDR.

I'm sure the difference in size of the TV counts too and I adjusted distance to compensate but when not conpensating at 5 feet each, holy hell, I'm glad I tried it just to see how friggin huge the difference is with whatever it is doing on 4k (or wherever it falls between 2k and 4k). The difference when I switched back was a punch to the face, everything from the scale to the text detail, the detail in the distance and the textures on NPC's faces all come back into view while being blurred away at 1080p and the hair gets clumped into a kind of clay like look where every thin strand is detailed and flowing in 4k. It's all so fucking crisp and clear now with thr HDR punching out detail in the contrast also. Supersampling did make a huge difference to the 1080p image after I turned it on but not nearly as much as the 4k screen.  Love how this game makes use of the real estate too and adds more to the image instead of some other lesser games like The Outer worlds that steeh out the image to fit the resolution. 

I take back everything I said about the shimmer, I was obsessing over such a small thing in so few areas that fades into the background after sone playtime anyway and I let that obesssion take away from how damn well gorgeous and detailed the game is. I guess one can never have enough and the negative pops out more, that reality check was sorely needed. 

If you look very closely on the 1080p SS, like 1 foot away and you go to any way station, metalic building and pan the camera you can see an example of what i'm talking about at 4k, imagine that still being an issue at 6 feet but even more apparent. Again, I feel stupid now for even conplaining about it with the detail gained for that slight flaw.

And dude, if you are comparing the 1080p SoTC supersmapling to 1440p metro exodus, I think you may need to try it at 4k HDR to see why I believe it is better looking. That game is something special in 4k HDR. Like a generational leap kind of feeling. 

Nah, I played SotC in 4K on the Pro. Metro is still plenty of steps ahead!

John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Nah, I played SotC in 4K on the Pro. Metro is still plenty of steps ahead!

I just don't see it. Environments alone, one to one, to my eye SotC looks more detailed and realistic and also way more artful. I'll take your word for it, again, you have the technical eye. 

Hook your Pro up to 4k when your free and let me know how DS goes. And make sure your new 4k monitor has HDR, lad. HDR brings out detail like a whore brings out herpes. 

I don't see much realism in SotC. It is the art that is the star of the show. That said, it really isn't something that can be compared 1:1 with Metro, because one is a painting come to life and the other is a highly detailed, war ravaged showpiece. 

John2290 said:
Kojima Productions could make a sleeping simulator into an entertaining masterpiece, ffs. This is now known.

Let's not get carried away...

Did play a few hours already and i'm learning all of the thingies, it will take a while to remember every command i can press and where it is located on the controller.
I like the feel of the environment and the occasional song that goes along with it, the story confuses me atm but it is very interesting and this game is so well crafted,this attention to detail makes even the most boring item look good.

John2290 said:
KLAMarine said:

Let's not get carried away...

If they can game-ify this, they can game-ify anything. Putting "A post apocalyptic, postman game where yout hike across America" on paper and it doesn't sound so absurd from "A game where you deal with life a a narcaplyptic, door to door sales man". :D

You still avoiding DS like the plague, KLAM?

...Doesn't look like my kind of game...