By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Any other options in life?

Aside from depression, which I have some experience with, as a mysterious, autonomous force, as well as being related and tied together with other forms of misery, would you say you feel otherwise compromised or disabled? I'm sorry if this has been asked, and I'm in no way disregarding depression in asking it. I've been around to long to not understand how debilitating it can be. Just curious if there may be some other underlying problems. I mean, aside from your relationship with your parents.

There's been some good suggestions here. It's too bad none seem viable.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

It is now clear to me that this threat is nothing but OP looking for attention. What's the point of making at if all you're going to do is say "no" or "I can't" to literally everything?

VAMatt said:
It is now clear to me that this threat is nothing but OP looking for attention. What's the point of making at if all you're going to do is say "no" or "I can't" to literally everything?

That's what I'm thinking, they want sympathy for a problem they are creating for themselves.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Have you considered therapy?

Not trying to be cheeky here, but talking about this with a professional could help.

Therapy. It sounds cliche but it saved me from suicide. It's a long healing process but depression takes all motivation away. Find a therapist you trust. Start the healing process. If you do get suicidal at some point call 911 and they send you to a mental ward for a week and you get to connect with people in the same position. They help you relate to others and the hospital gives a good course on how to deal with things. Only a week. Then begin normal therapy and start the long healing process.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Do a job you like and you will never work a day in your life.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
p0isonparadise said:
So pathetic. I can't imagine what your parents are going through.

Why do you think I'm even in this position.

What is it your parents do that is holding you back? You seem to blame them to some degree.  Is it possible you could be misreading them? Possible your actions or inactions have them at their wits end?  How old is your brother, is he in a similar situation?

JWeinCom said:

What does that even mean? What are natural causes vs unnatural? To my knowledge no credible doctor will claim to know the causes of depression.  They can with some accuracy diagnose depression, they can point to possible factors that may trigger a specific episode, but they can not make a claim to know what causes it. The only current way, to my knowledge, to gauge if it is a chemical issue is to see if medication eases symptoms.

I already said it's due to life circumstances, not some chemical inbalance in the brain. You don't have to believe me, but I'm definitely not taking meds again.

As you said you have been diagnosed.  As someone else pointed out sometimes they have to experiment with different drugs/ combinations to find something that works for you. Get a second opinion if you need to. 

Jpcc86 said:

Become a chaturbate star. Be the gamer webcam chaturbate guy. Thats an entire market waiting for you to tackle it. 

No.

WTF is a chaturbate Star .... you know what forget it, I'd bet if I found out I'd wish I didn't know.

Lastly go through a temp agency for a job as someone else suggested.  They will place you in a job, that's how they make their money.  Will the job suck?  Yeah most likely, only a small percentage of people get to do something they really enjoy and get paid for it.  You might find that you start making friends.  You have said twice you quit your other jobs due to "social issues".  Can you go into a little detail?

Mospeada21CA said:
Maybe volunteer at the local shelters for animals or homeless?

Or sit outside in the sun, feel the breeze, read a book, or write one?

Pursue a hobby, and make it a career?

Take up photography, and appreciate the beauty of this world?

That's all work though, I wanted to know if there's anyway to survive that doesn't involve working. A silly question yes, but one I may as well ask.

BraLoD said:

That's exactly what I'm telling you, you have to do something because you are the only one that can help yourself.

Well, I don't have evidence it'll turn well in your case but I have logic and mathematic as my background.

You are doing nothing and refusing to start doing it.

If you start trying things the probability things will turn well are higher than if you do nothing.

I may be trying to encorage you, saying they will as they may not, sure, but that's the point of it, get you to do something to improve your chances, because either you do something or nothing will change.

Saying there is nothing you haven't heard or thought before is also extremelly exaggerated as it is simply impossible, so you know the gist of it, like you want to think you know everything and can't do anything I want think you will do better if you do something.

And again, I have math on my side.

Then why are you still trying to help me if only I can help myself? xD

Yes it's exaggeration, I obviously haven't heard literally everything, but so far nothing has been said that is completely new to me.

Again, trying to help me is just wasting your time.

Burning Typhoon said:

Well, that's honestly not a valid option.  People have their beliefs on what they think happens after we die, yet while also forgetting how connected we all are.  So much that I've come to the conclusion that we end up reliving the same life, making the same decisions we'd made previously.  The only reason to argue against it is human emotion not wanting to believe that.

Sure, I could be wrong.  But at the end of the day, I have nothing to go off of to say that's not what's going on.  My life is just another repeat on the endless loop of doing the exact same thing.  I don't want to go into deep details.  It's taken me 10 years to come to that conclusion, and I've already heard every "but what if," and "why is it that xyz.."

I've been there before too, honestly, and so, I'm not going to test that theory.  Just find a way to make yourself happy and live your best life, because it's possible you'll do it all again, and lead yourself back to what caused the suicide again.

Think about it.  Being on an endless loop of unhappiness and killing yourself and never knowing you were on path to do it forever.  Find a way to make yourself happy...  Just in case.

Well that would be true hell, hopefully that's not true. I believe there is only nothingness when you die, no seeing no thinking no feeling. Hmm that's still more scary actually, I can't even wrap my mind around the concept. D:

Baalzamon said:
Why the negativity about being unable to get a job because you've lost 2? A ton of people have lost 2 jobs, and I can absolutely assure you, every place you walk by is hiring. A "job" doesn't have to mean some highly stressful professional career that requires all this previous work experience.

Go work at a video game store. Go work at a gas station. Go work at a golf course mowing.

Contrary to your belief, you can absolutely get a job, it's just clearly not the ones that you are applying for (and your info regarding how you got your last 2 is consistent with how it works...my last job I sent 100s of applications, got maybe 2 calls back, and finally got a job lined up).

Well naturally if I've failed before and nothing has changed since, it stands to reason there's a good chance I'll fail again. Also, I only got those jobs due to networking that I no longer have.

I'm sure one fool would consider me if I sent out hundreds of applications, but that's work, and the point of this thread is to see if there's a way not to work. :L

COKTOE said:
Aside from depression, which I have some experience with, as a mysterious, autonomous force, as well as being related and tied together with other forms of misery, would you say you feel otherwise compromised or disabled? I'm sorry if this has been asked, and I'm in no way disregarding depression in asking it. I've been around to long to not understand how debilitating it can be. Just curious if there may be some other underlying problems. I mean, aside from your relationship with your parents.

Well I have arthritis and I've always been lazy and low work ethic, but far moreso post depression. So yeah it's the main reason I don't do anything. Even with bad circumstances one could still persevere through them, but I guess depression is why I don't.

Most suggestions are telling me to work, and while they're correct that it's really the only option, it's not what I'm asking for. :L

VAMatt said:

Well duh the purpose of every thread is attention. Like I said in the OP, I don't think there are any other options, but I'm just making sure. What response are you expecting when most answers are "work" when the OP ask "other than work."

morenoingrato said:

Not trying to be cheeky here, but talking about this with a professional could help.

Leynos said:
Therapy. It sounds cliche but it saved me from suicide. It's a long healing process but depression takes all motivation away. Find a therapist you trust. Start the healing process. If you do get suicidal at some point call 911 and they send you to a mental ward for a week and you get to connect with people in the same position. They help you relate to others and the hospital gives a good course on how to deal with things. Only a week. Then begin normal therapy and start the long healing process.

It's been tried multiple times in the past, and not because I wanted to. Talking about my problems doesn't make them go away, and I also don't like the idea of paying someone just to talk to them.

It's not cliche, I know it works for many people, and it's absolutely great that it's why you're still here with us Leynos. Unfortunately it's not for me.

Snoopy said:

That's certainly the ideal way, but I don't really like any job.

The_Yoda said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Why do you think I'm even in this position.

What is it your parents do that is holding you back? You seem to blame them to some degree.  Is it possible you could be misreading them? Possible your actions or inactions have them at their wits end?  How old is your brother, is he in a similar situation?

I already said it's due to life circumstances, not some chemical inbalance in the brain. You don't have to believe me, but I'm definitely not taking meds again.

As you said you have been diagnosed.  As someone else pointed out sometimes they have to experiment with different drugs/ combinations to find something that works for you. Get a second opinion if you need to. 

No.

WTF is a chaturbate Star .... you know what forget it, I'd bet if I found out I'd wish I didn't know.

Lastly go through a temp agency for a job as someone else suggested.  They will place you in a job, that's how they make their money.  Will the job suck?  Yeah most likely, only a small percentage of people get to do something they really enjoy and get paid for it.  You might find that you start making friends.  You have said twice you quit your other jobs due to "social issues".  Can you go into a little detail?

Should go without saying, I'm alone despite my parents being right there. Not that I want to connect with them now anyway, I might be a desperate loser but I still have standards. I put my foot down on associating with assholes long ago. My brother is 30 or so I think, pretty much the same boat as me though he's always been treated better despite being far worse than I. He's been a thorn in my side forever, but I don't blame him much anymore, he can only know what he's taught after all.

Again you don't have to believe me but I know exactly what the cause is. My depression started immediately following a wombo combo of family, friends, and school bringing the hammer down on me all at once. Left by myself to do nothing but think, it was then I realized what a shitty life I had, as I became fully aware of how alone I was, how bleak my future was. That's pretty much when I gave up on life. Easy to put 2 and 2 together.

If I ever get the motivation to get a job again, you can be sure that's what I'll do. If you've seen me on this site, it should be quite clear I don't get along well with people.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
COKTOE said:

Well I have arthritis and I've always been lazy and low work ethic, but far moreso post depression. So yeah it's the main reason I don't do anything. Even with bad circumstances one could still persevere through them, but I guess depression is why I don't.

Most suggestions are telling me to work, and while they're correct that it's really the only option, it's not what I'm asking for. :L

VAMatt said:

Well duh the purpose of every thread is attention. Like I said in the OP, I don't think there are any other options, but I'm just making sure. What response are you expecting when most answers are "work" when the OP ask "other than work."

morenoingrato said:

Leynos said:

It's been tried multiple times in the past, and not because I wanted to. Talking about my problems doesn't make them go away, and I also don't like the idea of paying someone just to talk to them.

It's not cliche, I know it works for many people, and it's absolutely great that it's why you're still here with us Leynos. Unfortunately it's not for me.

Snoopy said:

That's certainly the ideal way, but I don't really like any job.

The_Yoda said:

Should go without saying, I'm alone despite my parents being right there. Not that I want to connect with them now anyway, I might be a desperate loser but I still have standards. I put my foot down on associating with assholes long ago. My brother is 30 or so I think, pretty much the same boat as me though he's always been treated better despite being far worse than I. He's been a thorn in my side forever, but I don't blame him much anymore, he can only know what he's taught after all.

Again you don't have to believe me but I know exactly what the cause is. My depression started immediately following a wombo combo of family, friends, and school bringing the hammer down on me all at once. Left by myself to do nothing but think, it was then I realized what a shitty life I had, as I became fully aware of how alone I was, how bleak my future was. That's pretty much when I gave up on life. Easy to put 2 and 2 together.

If I ever get the motivation to get a job again, you can be sure that's what I'll do. If you've seen me on this site, it should be quite clear I don't get along well with people.

What does this even mean?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.