By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Tops 750 Million Hardware

Can someone who is not lazy as I am, break down Mario into its sub-series (Mario Kart, 2D platformer, 3D platformer, Mario Party, etc...)?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Can someone who is not lazy as I am, break down Mario into its sub-series (Mario Kart, 2D platformer, 3D platformer, Mario Party, etc...)?

According to Nintendo Fandom Wiki, Kart is at 140.87m, Party at 48.46m, Sports at 55.94m (I think Mario + Sonic is included in this.) If it is, roughly 32.2m without. Super Mario RPG's 28.6m. Not sure where the sources are from so idk if entirely accurate. I can provide a link but it's only part of the page and you will have to wade through other stuff. As for 2d/3d Mario, the figures are a bit all over the place for those 2 and I would have to add up 40+ games in 2d Mario's case.

Rough estimate I did quickly for 3D Mario is about 87m.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Dulfite said:
Agente42 said:

I think what matters is how much each company has profited from year to year. Comparing this is more important than console selling (which can be sold at a loss) or selling first party games. Take the years that nintendo and sony are in the market together. I believe that only on the Wii and DS did nintendo earn more than every year of sony combined. Can anyone tell if it checks? I'm just talking about the games division and net profit.

This isn't updated through now, at least anywhere I can find, but this should give you an idea of how Nintendo dominates the other two in profit. Also this is why people say Nintendo could have like 5-7 Wii U level disasters before running out of money. They are a very conservative company on expenses, whereas the other two spend like crazy.

Thanks for the table.

Dulfite said:
Agente42 said:

I think what matters is how much each company has profited from year to year. Comparing this is more important than console selling (which can be sold at a loss) or selling first party games. Take the years that nintendo and sony are in the market together. I believe that only on the Wii and DS did nintendo earn more than every year of sony combined. Can anyone tell if it checks? I'm just talking about the games division and net profit.

This isn't updated through now, at least anywhere I can find, but this should give you an idea of how Nintendo dominates the other two in profit. Also this is why people say Nintendo could have like 5-7 Wii U level disasters before running out of money. They are a very conservative company on expenses, whereas the other two spend like crazy.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that Nintendo made more profit with 21M GameCube than Sony with 155M PS2. Hmm, well GBA should be included... but nevertheless... wow.

siebensus4 said:
Dulfite said:

Wow, I wasn't aware of that Nintendo made more profit with 21M GameCube than Sony with 155M PS2. Hmm, well GBA should be included... but nevertheless... wow.

Gba I'm sure was the profit driver there. And again, they don't spend a fortune on marketing, bloated development team sizes, etc. They are cheap and they profit because of it.

They also make a ton more in first party profits. Back in ps2 era I don't think Sony had many first party studios, correct? They certainly seem to have a lot more now days 

Around the Network

That is crazy. I really think Switch can hit 100 million lifetime!

I also think that Mario, as a franchise, is just mind blowing. What other franchise has the selling power of Super Mario? I mean, not only do the mainline "Mario" games sell millions, but so many spin-off series also sell millions. Not only the "Mario" titled games either. It is crazy. Yoshi games sell millions, Wario games sell millions, Luigi games sell millions.

1doesnotsimply

siebensus4 said:
Dulfite said:

Handheld blindness is common. The handheld market is always ignored in market analysis, although it is very lucrative. Nintendo has always been very lucrative in this market and has always launched new trends and phenomenon games such as Tetris, Pokemon and touch games. Nintendo has never lost in the portable environment.

It can be said that the greatest strength of Nintendo comes from the way that it treats this segment of the market as a priority, therefore the consumers of this segment.

siebensus4 said:
Dulfite said:

I prefer to compare the GC + GBA years to the PS3 + PSP years.  Both were "lean years" for home consoles while they had profitable handhelds.  In terms of hardware sales it looks like this:

GBA 81.5M
PSP 81.1M

GC 21.7M
PS3 87.4M

Both companies had profitable handhelds that sold about 81M.  On the home side Sony sold far more PS3's than Nintendo ever sold on Gamecubes.  And yet during the Gamecube years Nintendo is still making healthy profits, while Sony is bleeding red all throughout the PS3 years.  

The reason why Sony usually has a large market share on the home side is that they need to do this just to have any sort of healthy business.  They can't really even survive in the long term unless they keep winning most of the time.  Nintendo, on the other hand, is not so desperate to dominate in market share.  They will be profitable even in third place.  But when they actually do take first place...then their investors are so happy that they roll around naked in piles of money.  I mean, $5.5B in profit in 2009.  That is over 5 times the profit of Sony's best year.

247.79 million to go.

trunkswd said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
247.79 million to go.

With just one platform (3DS is pretty much dead at this point) on the market it will take a while before Nintendo reaches 1 billion. 

I know they need some generations, but should still be able to reach this goal. Unless they stop making console next gen which i don't see why they would...