By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Tops 750 Million Hardware

Ganoncrotch said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

How about Sony 1st party software sales? Why didn't you add them too?

For Sony first party to have the same kinda Quality / Legs as Nintendo stuff there would need to be a PS2 game still selling 40k in the last quarter to match the numbers that Mario Kart Wii done.

#listwars

And that's why he could only put Sony hardware sales to compete with Nintendo but not 1st party software sales since it would make Sony look very bad in comparison with Nintendo?

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
ratolmc said:
Impressive but I just cant help but compare Nintendo's numbers to the absolute monster numbers Sony's consoles have put up. (except vita lol)

PS2 about 155m
PS4 about 100m
PS1 about 100m
PS3 about 85m
PSP about 80m
PSV about 15m

That puts it at least 535 million units compared to 750 million Nintendo currently has.
What's also impressive is its only Sony's 6 consoles vs Nintendo's 11 as well as Nintendo having an 11 year head start in the gaming industry compared to Sony's playstation.
Nonetheless I'd like to congratulate Nintendo's massive achievement

Well obviously Sony's 1st party software sales pales in comparison to Nintendo so no need to add them genius. However I do want to add that Sony this generation with the playstation 4 have been reaching Nintendo's first party sales (or close to) with titles such as GoW, Spiderman, UC4, LoU, and Horizon. Obviously these IPs wont reach Mario and Pokemon sales status and may never will but guess what? They dont need to. Nintendo needs to live off their first party titles due to their lack of 3rd party titles while Sony has a strong mixture of BOTH 1st and 3rd party titles. You take away Nintendo's 1st party title, they'd be left with nothing! You take away Sony's 1st party titles, sony's console will still have Call of Duty, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fifa, 2K, Fallout, etc. And these titles sells in the 20million+ which Nintendo misses out on which is why nintendo gamers are left with no choice but to purchase mario, zelda, pokemon etc. However I do understand the switch has been gaining 3rd party support recently though not at the level of Sony and Micro but that will definetely change as next gen arrives next year with Cyberpunk, GTA6, Elder Scrolls 6 releasing next gen. Im sure if we were to tally up overall software sales Sony would come out top. Its important to remember games like CoD, Fifa, 2k which releases every year about 20 million each and GTA V which has sold more than 100 million, Sony gets a piece of that money due to platform royalties. Nintendo will never get a piece of that money because they dont have Cod and GTA although they do have Fifa and 2k but they dont sell well on Nintendo platforms. So anyway my point is Nintendo's 1st party sells well because they typically have no competition with 3rd party because well theres barely any 3rd party titles on Nintendo consoles lol.

ratolmc said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Well obviously Sony's 1st party software sales pales in comparison to Nintendo so no need to add them genius. However I do want to add that Sony this generation with the playstation 4 have been reaching Nintendo's first party sales (or close to) with titles such as GoW, Spiderman, UC4, LoU, and Horizon. Obviously these IPs wont reach Mario and Pokemon sales status and may never will but guess what? They dont need to. Nintendo needs to live off their first party titles due to their lack of 3rd party titles while Sony has a strong mixture of BOTH 1st and 3rd party titles. You take away Nintendo's 1st party title, they'd be left with nothing! You take away Sony's 1st party titles, sony's console will still have Call of Duty, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fifa, 2K, Fallout, etc. And these titles sells in the 20million+ which Nintendo misses out on which is why nintendo gamers are left with no choice but to purchase mario, zelda, pokemon etc. However I do understand the switch has been gaining 3rd party support recently though not at the level of Sony and Micro but that will definetely change as next gen arrives next year with Cyberpunk, GTA6, Elder Scrolls 6 releasing next gen. Im sure if we were to tally up overall software sales Sony would come out top. Its important to remember games like CoD, Fifa, 2k which releases every year about 20 million each and GTA V which has sold more than 100 million, Sony gets a piece of that money due to platform royalties. Nintendo will never get a piece of that money because they dont have Cod and GTA although they do have Fifa and 2k but they dont sell well on Nintendo platforms. So anyway my point is Nintendo's 1st party sells well because they typically have no competition with 3rd party because well theres barely any 3rd party titles on Nintendo consoles lol.

When people say that the console wars are dead and I find this post in here this morning.

I mean.... The switch has over 2000 games now, what percent of those titles you reckon are Nintendo first party games? It's probably their best machine for 3rd party titles since the GC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Congrats to Ninty on an impressive feat.

It's so nice to see different consoles thriving alongside each other and giving people with different tastes something to enjoy.

I'll never get why we have to bring each other down for liking different things.

Impressive stats.

The funny thing though is how of that 1.5B (B!) sold first party games, a whopping 630M is Mario. That's 42%! I doubt Miyamoto ever imagined his character selling so many games back when he was only jumping barrels trying to rescue his girl from a big ape.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

For Sony first party to have the same kinda Quality / Legs as Nintendo stuff there would need to be a PS2 game still selling 40k in the last quarter to match the numbers that Mario Kart Wii done.

#listwars

I think what matters is how much each company has profited from year to year. Comparing this is more important than console selling (which can be sold at a loss) or selling first party games. Take the years that nintendo and sony are in the market together. I believe that only on the Wii and DS did nintendo earn more than every year of sony combined. Can anyone tell if it checks? I'm just talking about the games division and net profit.

Agente42 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

#listwars

I think what matters is how much each company has profited from year to year. Comparing this is more important than console selling (which can be sold at a loss) or selling first party games. Take the years that nintendo and sony are in the market together. I believe that only on the Wii and DS did nintendo earn more than every year of sony combined. Can anyone tell if it checks? I'm just talking about the games division and net profit.

This isn't updated through now, at least anywhere I can find, but this should give you an idea of how Nintendo dominates the other two in profit. Also this is why people say Nintendo could have like 5-7 Wii U level disasters before running out of money. They are a very conservative company on expenses, whereas the other two spend like crazy.

ratolmc said:
Impressive but I just cant help but compare Nintendo's numbers to the absolute monster numbers Sony's consoles have put up. (except vita lol)

PS2 about 155m
PS4 about 100m
PS1 about 100m
PS3 about 85m
PSP about 80m
PSV about 15m

That puts it at least 535 million units compared to 750 million Nintendo currently has.
What's also impressive is its only Sony's 6 consoles vs Nintendo's 11 as well as Nintendo having an 11 year head start in the gaming industry compared to Sony's playstation.
Nonetheless I'd like to congratulate Nintendo's massive achievement

Kind of apples and oranges. Video game industry grew exponentially from the 80s to the 90s and 2000s. The NES rebuilt the industry and had a 90+ percent domination that with todays comparable audience would have been over 100m sold at least. Just an example though. That aside Nintendo absolutely dominated the handheld market through and through, which not even Sony could touch. It is a pretty big accomplishment, a company that reinvents itself over and over, with a dud like WiiU and a massive success like the Switch.

ratolmc said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Something for you:

1.I'm talking about 1st party games here

2.Switch have over 2500 games on NA eshop page, but "barely any 3rd party titles"? In your dream? Sure

3.Call me when Gow, UC4, Lou could still manage to sell a lot after 3-4 years at full $60 like Nintendo 1st party games

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 04 November 2019

p0isonparadise said:

With their latest quarterly report Nintendo has crossed the three quarter of a billion mark.

DS - 154.02 million
Game Boy - 118.69 million
Wii - 101.63 million
GBA - 81.51 million
3DS - 75.45 million
NES - 61.91 million
SNES - 49.10 million
Switch - 41.67 million
N64 - 32.93 million
GameCube - 21.74 million 
Wii U - 13.56 million  

Total: 752.21 million 

Nintendo is the best-selling video game hardware manufacturer of all time.

As a bonus, here are some updated estimates on Nintendo's best-selling series.

Mario - 631.36 million
Pokemon - 290.00 million
Wii Sports - 116.31 million
The Legend of Zelda - 109.32 million
Donkey Kong - 66.55 million 
Super Smash Bros. - 56.88 million
Wii Fit - 44.66 million
Kirby - 40.62 million
Animal Crossing - 35.55 million
Brain Age - 33.89 million 

Nintendo's first party games have sold more than 1.5 billion copies. 

On the SW side of things, it would be interesting to see Mario in its specific categories, ie. Mario party as an IP ltd, kart etc. Also I would rather see the "Wii" series put together. I know that you have posted exactly what Nintendo themselves supplied but I would be interested to see figures my more anal(?) way. I'm going to see what I can find.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!