By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is ARMS a failure, or not?

Compared to what?

It's a non-Smash fighting game. It's doing fine for a standalone sequel to Wii Boxing.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

2 million + for a new IP is absolutely not a failure. We don't know if Nintendo could have had different projections/hopes for it internally or anything, but on paper in its own right there is no way that can be called a failure. Anyone trying to say it's a failure are the same type of people who like to try to act like they know more about the inner workings of Nintendo and how Nintendo think than Nintendo do themselves. Literally how would they know if Nintendo considered that a failure or not outside of broad assumptions/guessing? They don't work at Nintendo nor do they work in the industry. It's just people wanting to pretend they know stuff.

Comparing it to Splatoon isn't really fair either because, like you said, Splatoon was a breakout success from the start, on a dead console at the time nontheless, something not many new IP's get to be lucky enough to experience right at the beginning. If we use that as a basis from now on then majority of new IP's would be failures apparently.

I do think we'll see a Arms 2 at some point, idk about on the Switch tho (cause do we even know what that team is working on atm?), but eventually. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 03 November 2019

Conina said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

But according to people on the internet, that's apparently not good enough. The thinking is that because this is a new character-driven multiplayer game like Splatoon, it needed to do as well as, if not better than Splatoon on the first try.

"People on the internet" are still discussing if ARMS was a success or a failure? Or is it just you?

Has anything changed since your last thread about it? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238790&page=1

I'm sure ARMS was quite profitable for Nintendo, but why do you feel the urge to prove its success?

Not the first thread he's made addressing an imaginary group of people. If he really heard people saying that, then discuss it with them, talking about them behind their backs is cowardly.

I'd be curious if you could source some examples of these "people on the internet" who claim it's not enough. I don't believe I've encountered anyone, online or otherwise, who views the game as a financial failure.

Jpcc86 said:
Its not. Whoever told you that 2.1m "is not enough" is on crack and should share some. 2.1m is a lot for any new IP, specially one so unremarkable. Arms is nothing but successful. Expect an Arms 2 announcement in the near future.

hummm...That was exactly what I was about to write.

EDIT : wait for the announcement in a Nintendo Direct, then watch these reaction videos, you will see the current known "stars" of reacting video screaming when they will see it.  "OHHH  OOOHHHH NO WAY NO WAY... OH MY GOD THIS IS ARMS 2 ??!!!!"

Last edited by Amnesia - on 03 November 2019

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

Around the Network

Really getting tired of seeing this topic. ARMs had never been a failure. The only people who try to say it is are the ones that WANTED it to fail.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

You what this forum really, really didn't need, OP? Yet another thread of you endlessly, obsessively spamming this topic.

This is also yet another example of the problem with your threads. You don't start them to engage in genuine discussion. You start them to pick a fight, and endlessly spam anyone who disagrees with you until they tired of talking to a brick wall and give up.

Your opening post is, as always, closed. It doesn't say "hey guys, let's share our thoughts and opinions, let's talk about this", it says "this is how things are and if you disagree you're wrong and I'll spam you for weeks on end and even harass you via PM after the debate is over."

No offense, (and don't bother quoting me, I know better than to try to debate this with you) but please, stop this incessant pattern of "fight me" topics, and repeating the same subject in different guises ad nauseum.

I am sorry if this comes across as rude, but enough already.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 November 2019

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

TheMisterManGuy said:
morenoingrato said:
I do think Nintendo wanted a franchise they can invest long-term in, and in that sense, I don't believe ARMS is worth pursuing further.

Franchises take time to build. You can't be a big franchise on your first try.

Very wrong. I mean. Overwatch for example? Or hows about... Assassins Creed? Or maybe even Halo? I could go on...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Franchises take time to build. You can't be a big franchise on your first try.

Very wrong. I mean. Overwatch for example? Or hows about... Assassins Creed? Or maybe even Halo? I could go on...

They're exceptions, not rules.

Pyro as Bill said:

Compared to what?

It's a non-Smash fighting game. It's doing fine for a standalone sequel to Wii Boxing.

It's not Wii Boxing. It's Nintendo's version of Virtual On.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!