By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is Zelda: Breath of the Wild Going to Actually Sell Lifetime? (25mil+ A Possibility?)

BotW (Switch) will sell....

25mil+ 14 20.90%

23mil-25mil 11 16.42%

21mil-23mil 16 23.88%

20mil-21mil 10 14.93%

19mil-20mil 10 14.93%

18mil-19mil 2 2.99%

Under 18mil 4 5.97%

Total:67
tbone51 said:
Damn I’m wondering if botw2 is coming out in 2020. Still early to say but damn, here is hoping for another 3mil+ year

It did 4,5mil+ last year so isn't 3mil setting the bar a little low?

Regarding the topic I could honestly see it hitting 25 mil on Switch alone when all is said and done. It's momentum has barely slowed since the release year and with how iconic the game has become I don't expect its sales to just grind to a halt when the sequel drops.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
tbone51 said:
Damn I’m wondering if botw2 is coming out in 2020. Still early to say but damn, here is hoping for another 3mil+ year

It did 4,5mil+ last year so isn't 3mil setting the bar a little low?

Regarding the topic I could honestly see it hitting 25 mil on Switch alone when all is said and done. It's momentum has barely slowed since the release year and with how iconic the game has become I don't expect its sales to just grind to a halt when the sequel drops.

I wasn’t looking at the numbers. 3.5mil is a safe bet, depends on hw stock for 2020

tbone51 said:

I will be surprised if they'll release it 2020 tbh especially if the Mario 35 anniversary claims are true I can see them holding it off until March 2021.

Wyrdness said:
tbone51 said:

I will be surprised if they'll release it 2020 tbh especially if the Mario 35 anniversary claims are true I can see them holding it off until March 2021.

Next year is Zelda 35th year anniversary? Bammm lol

21-23 million

I actually believe BOTW2 will give it a little boost

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have been predicting that BoTW will break records for about as long as I have been on these forums.  And yet, it is selling better than even I expected.  Look at this:

Q3 2017: 0.78m
Q3 2018: 0.96m
Q3 2019: 0.93m

How can it sell more in 2018 and 2019 (Q3), than it sold in 2017 (Q3)?  I have no explanation.  These sales numbers are like defying gravity or something.  All I can say is it will sell 25m+.  It's an unstoppable sales juggernaut.

There is a percentage of Switch owners who will purchase the game just because they got a Switch, same with Mario Kart 8.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have been predicting that BoTW will break records for about as long as I have been on these forums.  And yet, it is selling better than even I expected.  Look at this:

Q3 2017: 0.78m
Q3 2018: 0.96m
Q3 2019: 0.93m

How can it sell more in 2018 and 2019 (Q3), than it sold in 2017 (Q3)?  I have no explanation.  These sales numbers are like defying gravity or something.  All I can say is it will sell 25m+.  It's an unstoppable sales juggernaut.

There is a percentage of Switch owners who will purchase the game just because they got a Switch, same with Mario Kart 8.

I agree.  There is actually a step above beyond "evergreen" and that is "must have".  When many people buy a Nintendo system, they consider Mario Kart a must have.  It's become an automatic buy for a lot of people.  Breath of the Wild has become that for the Switch.  As in "if you want a good single player game then you must have Zelda: Breath of the Wild".  It's going to keep selling like this unless Nintendo releases another single player game that is somehow better.  

I’ll say an even 20.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It will surpass 20 million this year alone and Switch will likely live on 2-3 more years. We'll see, maybe the pandemic is boosting software sales (mainly on eshop). So maybe that could help. I think when they fully reveal the sequel, the game will be brought back to the main scene and so will probably have a little boost from people that still hesitated to play the game and now there is a sequel to it coming - looking amazing.

It could also make it to Nintendo select on day but idk about that. Nintendo would lose money if they did that rn. This kind of collection happens in year 4 of a console so maybe we will see it make it's way on Switch. I think they could put the only games that struggled a little on it like DK TF and Kirby for 30$.

I did vote for 21-23 millions, but currently i think it could make it to 25 millions. It's crazy how many 20+ million games the Switch will have. And i might add, games/franchises that are deserving of it. Zelda was always a really ambitious franchise but only struck around 5 millions a game. Which is big, but deserving way more. Nintendo took a risk in investing in the Botw engine which costs A LOT of money, and time, but they pretty much made the money back and a lot of benefits just with Botw alone and it being a system seller for the Switch.

Glad this happens and will likely encourage them to take more risk. Now if only Gamefreak would use the Botw engine for climate in battle and in the overworld smh. They will probably get a wake up call when Animal crossing and F*cking ZELDA surpasses a NEW GEN pokemon game. That is absolutely insane. Cause yea, pokemon games don't have legs like we've seen on Zelda and the DLC doesn't look good enough to sell more games.

Last edited by xMetroid - on 02 April 2020

Breath of the Wild coming for 25 million sold lifetime