By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 is way past the time for another price cut

Tagged games:

In a way I think gaming is evolving and people's perceptions are changing. Like mobile phones--an old phone isn't obsolete and dirt cheap just because a new version comes out. The PS4 is going to have support, be profitable, and functional well beyond the PS5 launch. I expect it to be more like the PS2 than the PS3 in terms of life after the successor hits the market.

Around the Network

Well, I think the fact at this point is Sony could 100% drop it to $199 and continue to profit. Might be able to drop to $149 and break even.

Something tells me they are building up profit because they plan to subsidize the PS5 more than originally thought. They said that they wanted people to switch over as quickly as possible. What better way to do that than launch the PS5 at $399-449? Then, they can drop the PS4 to $199-$249, a $200 difference, and continue to profit on that HW as a few million still pick it up.

It is on a sale for $250 pretty often, and it always available bundled with games. Right now, its $200 with a bunch of games. So, I think it basically has had a defacto price cut. I would bet that the vast majority of PS4 units sold, at least in the USA, are selling for less than $300. And, of the ones sold at $300, I'm certain that most sell with a current AAA game bundled in, reducing the effective price of the hardware.

Pemalite said:
Shadow1980 said:
Price cuts this late in a system's life have minimal effect. The increase in sales, if any, are likely to be insufficient to justify less per-unit revenue. And it's not like the PS4 has atrocious sales. It's definitely post-peak and declining, but not to a degree so pressing that Sony needs to cut the price.

The flipside to that is there is a potential need to "lock" customers into their ecosystem, it's an easier task to ask people to migrate to a newer console if they already support all your subscription based services.

It should be interesting either way.

This is certainly correct.  But, Sony hasn't pushed their subscription services particularly aggressively.  I will say though that it seems they may be ramping that up a bit now, with more attractive pricing.  

I actually think this would be a really good argument for MS to drop the price of XB to something super low, and throw in a one month free, or maybe 6 month discounted Gamepass subscription.  That service is very attractive, and MS is clearly trying to push it.  If they sold XB1SAD for $99 or something, they could probably get a few million more people subscribed to the service, and they would be more likely to stick with MS next gen.  They might even be able to pull it off right now with the $149 deal they're running right now in the US, if they threw some big marketing money behind it.  

VAMatt said:
Pemalite said:

The flipside to that is there is a potential need to "lock" customers into their ecosystem, it's an easier task to ask people to migrate to a newer console if they already support all your subscription based services.

It should be interesting either way.

This is certainly correct.  But, Sony hasn't pushed their subscription services particularly aggressively.  I will say though that it seems they may be ramping that up a bit now, with more attractive pricing.  

I actually think this would be a really good argument for MS to drop the price of XB to something super low, and throw in a one month free, or maybe 6 month discounted Gamepass subscription.  That service is very attractive, and MS is clearly trying to push it.  If they sold XB1SAD for $99 or something, they could probably get a few million more people subscribed to the service, and they would be more likely to stick with MS next gen.  They might even be able to pull it off right now with the $149 deal they're running right now in the US, if they threw some big marketing money behind it.  

In denmark the Xbox One S all digital (sad), is currently going for around 699 kr.
Which is about ~105$ USD, and they re giveing away about 100$ in games for the system as well.

Some places in europe its 99 euro (~108$ USD)....

In the USA right now I believe theres XB1s (all digital) for 149$ as well + games.

VAMatt said:
It is on a sale for $250 pretty often, and it always available bundled with games. Right now, its $200 with a bunch of games. So, I think it basically has had a defacto price cut. I would bet that the vast majority of PS4 units sold, at least in the USA, are selling for less than $300. And, of the ones sold at $300, I'm certain that most sell with a current AAA game bundled in, reducing the effective price of the hardware.

Xbox has been on sale more this year than the PS4...
Sony are being slow to cut prices, and its probably hurting their system sales (imo).

That 15m forecase was probably when they factored in a price cut or something.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
VAMatt said:

If they sold XB1SAD for $99 or something, they could probably get a few million more people subscribed to the service, and they would be more likely to stick with MS next gen. 

XB1SAD is $99 in Switzerland over the week-end. It does NOT sell like sliced bread, even with that ridiculous loss for MS. The only thing that seems to sell very well in BF week-end are the PS4Pro bundles at $279.

JRPGfan said:

In denmark the Xbox One S all digital (sad), is currently going for around 699 kr.
Which is about ~105$ USD, and they re giveing away about 100$ in games for the system as well.

In the USA right now I believe theres XB1s (all digital) for 149$ as well + games.

Yeah, I saw that Elgiganten had XB1 at 777 kr. ($114, link) including games. That's not much more than what we pay for 1 new game (500 kr.) It's cheaper than the darn Nintendo 2DS!

And it's still not close to being sold out even though BF is over in 1.5 hours. Fucking Sonyland... :p

Last edited by Replicant - on 29 November 2019

Replicant said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah, I saw that Elgiganten had XB1 at 777 kr. ($114, link) including games. That's not much more than what we pay for 1 new game (500 kr.) It's cheaper than the darn Nintendo 2DS!

And it's still not close to being sold out even though BF is over in 1.5 hours. Fucking Sonyland... :p

Not that I am against price cuts, obviously it would be great for more of them.. however for arguments sake. Why?
PS4 is still selling high amounts, why would Sony (A Business) want to cut into there own profit margins especially when sales aren't exactly on a decline?

Will it ever get a price cut (before ps5) at this point?

Just saying.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?