By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 is way past the time for another price cut

Tagged games:

0D0 said:
Will it ever get a price cut (before ps5) at this point?

Just saying.

Maybe not, which is a real shame from our perspective.

As soon as PS5 comes out that's Sony's focus and they probably don't care that they could sell another 5m-10m PS4's lifetime by cutting the price. They're focused on moving people to next-gen now.

PS1 and PS2 both received efforts to push them post-successor with pricecuts and such resulting in them both selling over 20m after their successor came out, PS3 did not and PS4 may not either.

Around the Network

Sony simply got fucked by Days Gone/Death Stranding meta/sales and Medievil not setting world on fire. The delay of Lou2 is not helping this FY either.
Should they lower price? They are limiting the units of PS4 on promos during BF/Xmas. Looks like they think they will leave money on the table.

edit - also, early annoucement of BC in PS5 killed hype. I have personally told 2-3 of my friends to not buy PS4 not, and they were about to buy it, simply wait to PS5, grab future proof console with tons of 10$ games from PS4. If they did not, I would think otherwise.

The PS4 has so many deals and price cuts, either during times like E3 and Black Friday, that for me its official price is already around 200 to 250.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

360 and PS3 with a HDD stayed around $250 until the end.

Either way, if you care enough to want a price drop then you are also smart enough to look for a deal.

I just went to Walmart.com, PS4 with games is $253.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SammyGiireal said:
I agree that traditionally by this point Consoles of that age should be selling for a bit cheaper. Sony however steadily keeps selling over 200k units weekly with competitor Xbox One struggling to meet 50k units, Sony is making money on the hardware now and unless sales considerably drop I can't really see a price point change until the PS5 rolls around.

That was 2019.

Right now, it's selling 150k a week (last year this period was around 230k), and with a tendency to drop deep this year

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 February 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
SammyGiireal said:
I agree that traditionally by this point Consoles of that age should be selling for a bit cheaper. Sony however steadily keeps selling over 200k units weekly with competitor Xbox One struggling to meet 50k units, Sony is making money on the hardware now and unless sales considerably drop I can't really see a price point change until the PS5 rolls around.

That was 2019.

Right now, it's selling 150k a week (last year this period was around 230k), and with a tendency to drop deep this year

And my reply was in 2019. 

SammyGiireal said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That was 2019.

And my reply was in 2019. 

I know, just saying that the situation changed since then, even though it's just been 3 months ago.

BraLoD said:

In less than a month the PS4 will be 6 years old and it's still priced at $300.

6 years and it only dropped 25% of its original asking price, and with a Slim revision release between that.

Profit if good for sure but the PS4 is around a year away from being replaced by the PS5 as the focus of Sony gaming division.

The hardware sales are starting to drop considerably as Sony's best exclusives are now well into the mid to late 2020 range for release.

The price needs to be get another cut. $250 or even $200 should be the PS4 official asking price.

Now that we are about to hit the holiday sales they'd better wait to take full benefit from the big deals slashing price power and just announce the price will not come back up to $300 anymore right after it.

Just let it go with a bang Sony, stop milking it.

I bought my PS4 Pro with death stranding brand new for 300 dollars. So that's a massive drop in price, as that's a lot less than what I paid for the original PS4 on launch day without games.

Just look around. The PS4 slim with a game was selling for around 230 dollars Black Friday until January