By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 is way past the time for another price cut

Tagged games:

Shadow1980 said:
Price cuts this late in a system's life have minimal effect. The increase in sales, if any, are likely to be insufficient to justify less per-unit revenue. And it's not like the PS4 has atrocious sales. It's definitely post-peak and declining, but not to a degree so pressing that Sony needs to cut the price.

They should do it for the record books :) (selling more > selling less) (if not for profit)
Or just to be good-guys, that ll brigten the world, with more players getting to enjoy a gameing machine.

I wanna see the PS4 go beyound 130m, which I assumed was possible..... Sony have been to laxed with price cuts.

Also as permalite said:
"The flipside to that is there is a potential need to "lock" customers into their ecosystem, it's an easier task to ask people to migrate to a newer console if they already support all your subscription based services."

Sony should go with a price cut imo, its time to stop being so greedy.
The increased sales would probably be close to same profits, and have better longterm effects.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll still cut the price and the lowballing is merely the old "we beat our estimates" thing companies love to do ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, though, their financial / advertising offices probably considered the whole matter in way more detail and with way more data than we can, so there's no use to speculating whatever they might've decided and why.

That being said, if the PS3 retailed fro $199 at one point, it's entirely feasible for the PS4 to do likewise, even if it's only by the time the PS5 launches.

Its still doing over 200K a week. I don't think the price is hindering this beast all that much.

See, neither you nor I nor Sony nor Nintendo gets to define what a generation is.  The marketplace defines what a generation is.  The marketplace defined the Wii as a next generation system even though it's hardware was about as powerful as a Gamecube.  The Wii was the successor to the Gamecube according to the marketplace.  It also competed with the PS3 and XBox360 according to the marketplace.  During the first 3-4 years the Wii sold fantastic and the other 2 consoles sold slowly.  About the time that Wii sales plummeted, the PS3 and XBox360 started to take off.  This is not a coincidence.  They were competing.  The marketplace put them in the same generation.  Your logic isn't consistent.  In one sentence you say games define a system, and then in the next sentence you are talking about the power of the hardware.  Which is it?  Is it the games or the power of the hardware?  This also ignores the fact that in the past, generations were not really defined in either way.

The marketplace has already put the Wii U, XB1 and PS4 in the same generation.  The PS4 has already won generation 8 in the home market.  The 3DS and Vita were in the same generation.  The 3DS has already won the generation 8 handheld market.  The marketplace is also treating the Switch as the successor to the 3DS and Wii U.  The Switch is not selling like a generation 8 system.  It is selling like a generation 9 system.  It's not competing with any other system on the market, because it is the only generation 9 system on the market.

This. I never get why people don't understand what the word generation means. It's a time period.

Wii/PS3/X360 all were sold during the same time period. Switch/PS4/X1 were sold in the same time period.

If we want to talk about technology, well, then that means all consoles are several generations old, because PC is generations ahead. But that's not how we should be talking about generations when it comes to tech. We actually don't because we refer to Switch/PS4/X1 as current gen.

There's context and if technology is part of it, it's only relative to the brand. Wii was a more powerful Gamecube, and WiiU was a more powerful Wii. There are still generations of consoles here despite Wii not being technologically competitive with PS3/X360. Switch is a new generation of Nintendo's tech and it sells at the same time as PS4/X1. So it's current gen. Simple.

danasider said:

See, neither you nor I nor Sony nor Nintendo gets to define what a generation is.  The marketplace defines what a generation is.  The marketplace defined the Wii as a next generation system even though it's hardware was about as powerful as a Gamecube.  The Wii was the successor to the Gamecube according to the marketplace.  It also competed with the PS3 and XBox360 according to the marketplace.  During the first 3-4 years the Wii sold fantastic and the other 2 consoles sold slowly.  About the time that Wii sales plummeted, the PS3 and XBox360 started to take off.  This is not a coincidence.  They were competing.  The marketplace put them in the same generation.  Your logic isn't consistent.  In one sentence you say games define a system, and then in the next sentence you are talking about the power of the hardware.  Which is it?  Is it the games or the power of the hardware?  This also ignores the fact that in the past, generations were not really defined in either way.

The marketplace has already put the Wii U, XB1 and PS4 in the same generation.  The PS4 has already won generation 8 in the home market.  The 3DS and Vita were in the same generation.  The 3DS has already won the generation 8 handheld market.  The marketplace is also treating the Switch as the successor to the 3DS and Wii U.  The Switch is not selling like a generation 8 system.  It is selling like a generation 9 system.  It's not competing with any other system on the market, because it is the only generation 9 system on the market.

This. I never get why people don't understand what the word generation means. It's a time period.

Wii/PS3/X360 all were sold during the same time period. Switch/PS4/X1 were sold in the same time period.

If we want to talk about technology, well, then that means all consoles are several generations old, because PC is generations ahead. But that's not how we should be talking about generations when it comes to tech. We actually don't because we refer to Switch/PS4/X1 as current gen.

There's context and if technology is part of it, it's only relative to the brand. Wii was a more powerful Gamecube, and WiiU was a more powerful Wii. There are still generations of consoles here despite Wii not being technologically competitive with PS3/X360. Switch is a new generation of Nintendo's tech and it sells at the same time as PS4/X1. So it's current gen. Simple.

I mostly agree with you, except Wii U/PS4/XB1 were sold in the same time period.  They all launched in the 2012-2013 time period.  Switch launched several years afterward, so that makes it next generation.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I mostly agree with you, except Wii U/PS4/XB1 were sold in the same time period.  They all launched in the 2012-2013 time period.  Switch launched several years afterward, so that makes it next generation.

You're right WiiU/PS4/XB1 were in a generation. Switch came out around the time of the Pro/X (all within a year), although Pro/X are half generational steps since they share the same DNA as their precursors whereas Switch is a completely new generation of Nintendo hardware.

But yeah, the point I was agreeing with is that the market decides what a generation is, not the tech specs. And that's usually because the consoles compete in sales for the market at a given period of time. 

Probably they'll prefer BF and Xmas bundles and possibly time limited discounts this year, while the definitive price cut will be defined when they'll decide the PS5 pricing strategy, and they'll also decide if they'll do it before, after or at the same time of PS5 launch (in this case probably not even calling it a cut, but simply releasing the new list of prices for the whole PS product range).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

In Q1 or Q2 of next year, they really need to cut the price. With the PS5 out late next year, it's ridiculous to still ask $300 for a PS4 Slim, and $400 for a PS4 Pro. I say do a price cut of $100 for each. Some might say $50 off each will suffice, but I think it's too late for that.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
In Q1 or Q2 of next year, they really need to cut the price. With the PS5 out late next year, it's ridiculous to still ask $300 for a PS4 Slim, and $400 for a PS4 Pro. I say do a price cut of $100 for each. Some might say $50 off each will suffice, but I think it's too late for that.

^ this.

Sony have held off too long by now, its time they act.

Tin foil hat theory incoming!

Sony is still selling PS4 without a discount so they can offset the PS5 launch price.

So they launch PS5 at £399 at a loss, but that loss is already offset by selling PS4 all this time without a price cut.
It’s a smart move because they know people will still pay it.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.