By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's PlayStation Vue Pay TV Service Is Shutting Down

twintail said:
hunter_alien said:

True, but they never got the price/content right and all other competitors pulled ahead of it. In all honesty, it always felt half-assed a bit. Who even pays that insane amount for live tv anymore? Are service providers that incredibly expensive in the US? 

yeah, so too little too late would be incorrect. 

Yeah. Maybe so. But in all honesty with the prices we have over the pond, it did seem so. But I guess then we can simply churn it down to break-neck competition. 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
pokoko said:

Why are you typing like that?  

Why?  I don't see how less competition is good for the consumer.  

It's pretty obvious. Some competition is great. But, when there is too much, especially with these streaming services, things aren't great.

Everyone's seeing the success of Netflix and Hulu, and instead of just getting paid to put there content on there for everyone, they want a bigger piece of the pie. So, now everyone is removing content or making it too expensive for those services to pay for that content and keep their sub price low, moving it to their own service instead.

We are actually getting to the point where it is more expensive to sub to all of these services than it was to have a decent cable package. Something that wasn't supposed to happen with this great streaming future.

That makes no sense in this case.  This wasn't a service that fractured the market, it was a service that tried to be inclusive.  It was the opposite of what you're saying.

I was ready to at least try it when it launched, but I live in Canada, and when it comes to streaming services, Canada's gonna Canada. Still no Hulu! I'm not even a big sub streaming service guy, but PS Vue and Hulu are 2 I've wanted to have legit chance to try.

As for the shutdown, it's a timely at least. Looking forward to seeing how the whole streaming subscription mess shakes out, now that the facade of streaming saving all of us from the tyranny of cable TV has been clearly distilled to it's most natural human essence.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 30 October 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Leynos said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Thats a valid argument in regard to buying stuff digitally. But PS Vue is irrelevant to that argument. Its just a TV streaming service.

The concept of TV is becoming pretty obsolete unless you really enjoy live stuff like sports and news.

Stadia is a streaming service. You pay monthly then have to pay full price for games on top of that...to stream a game. So when Google does shut it down. All that money is gone down the toilet. So when I see even if just a TV streaming service,I see the same for gaming services like Stadia. At least with TV you just pay your $10 a month and not asked to then buy the films on top of it.

Well youre making my point. Paying for access to streaming content is not the same as buying digital content.

I dont know much about Stadia but I dont have much faith in yet. Seems like theyre jumping into it without much incentives or even exclusives.

In comparison MS's streaming service could require a Gamepass subscription but also sell games in the digital store.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Every streaming service is a service that fractures the market no body is going to have 5 different services to watch one show on each

Around the Network

I have Vue. Nice sevice. Not much to complain about. Going to go with Hulu + Live TV. I almost went with Hulu + Live TV a while back, but at the time, no support for Android TV and no AMC. Now, Hulu supports Android TV, but still no AMC. I gave up on Walking Dead so the no AMC is a non-issue now anyway.

LivingMetal said:
I have Vue. Nice sevice. Not much to complain about. Going to go with Hulu + Live TV. I almost went with Hulu + Live TV a while back, but at the time, no support for Android TV and no AMC. Now, Hulu supports Android TV, but still no AMC. I gave up on Walking Dead so the no AMC is a non-issue now anyway.

I've been giving another look at YouTube and Hulu with Live TV for the last 24 hours. YouTube is much more similar to Vue. The Hulu UI is not suited for Live TV. The Pricing, Channel Lineup,  and the features on offer with YouTube are supirior as well. I initially wanted to go with Hulu, but it looks like YouTube is going to win my business. 

Now, for the sake of many of my family members, I hope Sony opens up the ability to use some of these other services. I have XBO, so I have options. The rest of my family all have PS4 as their only device for streaming to their main display. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
LivingMetal said:

I've been giving another look at YouTube and Hulu with Live TV for the last 24 hours. YouTube is much more similar to Vue. The Hulu UI is not suited for Live TV. The Pricing, Channel Lineup,  and the features on offer with YouTube are supirior as well. I initially wanted to go with Hulu, but it looks like YouTube is going to win my business. 

Now, for the sake of many of my family members, I hope Sony opens up the ability to use some of these other services. I have XBO, so I have options. The rest of my family all have PS4 as their only device for streaming to their main display. 

My TV has native support for YouTube TV. So I haven't bothered to see if my PS4 does. I thought PS4 supported Youtube? I know my Xbox One X does. I was using the CW app on it but I don't need it with YouTube TV. The lack of NFL Network is a pain in the ass. I can watch Thursday games on Prime Video but I like their non game coverage far better than ESPN's.

Also, I do not agree with the "Vue splitting the market" argument. It was literally a replacement for cable. It bundle existing networks, like Cable, but at a far cheaper cost.

Darc Requiem said:
KBG29 said:

My TV has native support for YouTube TV. So I haven't bothered to see if my PS4 does. I thought PS4 supported Youtube? I know my Xbox One X does. I was using the CW app on it but I don't need it with YouTube TV. The lack of NFL Network is a pain in the ass. I can watch Thursday games on Prime Video but I like their non game coverage far better than ESPN's.

Also, I do not agree with the "Vue splitting the market" argument. It was literally a replacement for cable. It bundle existing networks, like Cable, but at a far cheaper cost.

It does.  In my case, both of my HDTVs can accommodate YouTube, Hulu Live TV and Vue.

EDIT: Just looked into YouTube TV.  Looking tempting.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 31 October 2019