By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if google stadia were to fail?

dx11332sega said:

In first 6 months? would they panic and buy 1 huge AAA publisher like say, Ubisoft or EA, cd project red? to attract gamers when stadia actually has real exclusives AAA worthy? We know that small studios putting exclusive stadia games aint getting gaming forums hyped about stadia? So, a major AAA 3rd party purchase with yearly exclusive games will save stadia if it were to go red ? If that were too happen ? would you miss someone like say EA?

They will probably atleast keep the service alive for 2-3 years and release some exclusives too see if the service can gain some traction. I expect Google stadia will run into similiar problems previous cloud services has ran into, there will barely be any demand for it. Google already screwed up by not having the free version ready for the red dead redemption 2 launch.

Geforce now is the only cloud service somewhat successful but it's free and you can play almost all your Pc games.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network

They won’t do anything that drastic in my opinion. Just pay for a couple of timed exclusives or put a couple of big games in the “free” service. Google does a lot of different things, but it fails often and doesn’t seem to mind. They are about failing gracefully and inexpensively...normally.

But if they did I would bet on Ubisoft or a company close t them, bc Jade Raymond.

Nah lol. Even for Google buying a studio is expensive and they will need a lot of them if they want to compete with Sony on the exclusives front. But they probably don't mean to compete with the regular consoles, it's more of an extra service that can be kinda cool if it works properly. Somehow I got a feeling that the SSD of next gen games will make it hard for streaming services like Stadium to run them.

Darwinianevolution said:
JWeinCom said:
What exactly is the investment required for a streaming service like that? It seems to me (who is admittedly uneducated on this matter) that the costs would be a drop in the bucket for a company like google. They presumably already have a lot of the infrastructure, and there is no actual hardware beyond the controllers to manufacture. I'm guessing they could pretty easily survive a slow take off. If anything, I would say this is a soft launch for stadia. It's hard to market it when so many people already have a PS4 or XBox One and both systems are only 130 dollars more expensive than the stadia controller alone (although it works with other controllers I think). The real push for it will come when the next next gen consoles are launched. Suddenly when playing next gen games costs at least 400 dollars, the stadia becomes a way more attractive option.

How so? Most people who invest a lot in videogames would rather get updated pieces of hardware, either console or PC, just because they want to play without risks of poor streaming performance, and they would be much better informed of the risks of this kind of service (not to mention having access to other gaming streaming-like services). People who don't really care about videogames won't invest heavily in Stadia either because you still have to buy your games either way, so they would either keep themselves to outdated hardware and/or just straight FTP mobile games. Stadia is aiming for an almost non-existant crowd.

I think a lot will depend on the pricing of Stadia games.  If games are still $60, that will be a barrier.  I love gaming and have an interest in Stadia.  I'm tired of buying hardware every 3-5 years.  I'm tied of paying to play online.  I'm tired of being tied to a single TV.  Stadia has some major advantages.    

dx11332sega said:

In first 6 months? would they panic and buy 1 huge AAA publisher like say, Ubisoft or EA, cd project red? to attract gamers when stadia actually has real exclusives AAA worthy? We know that small studios putting exclusive stadia games aint getting gaming forums hyped about stadia? So, a major AAA 3rd party purchase with yearly exclusive games will save stadia if it were to go red ? If that were too happen ? would you miss someone like say EA?

I don't think anything at all will happen fast. I get the impression, that Google is aware they are early in a developing market (game streaming). I get more and more the feeling, that they want to attract early adopters and fix early issues first, while building a library for the time game streaming catches on. So I think they are content if for say the next five years it doesn't explode. I think though, they have two criteria for success for this first time:

1. the user count of the service is growing over time
  2. they keep a substantial share of the game streaming market (say at least 10%)

As long as this is happening, I think Google will be fine and prepare for the moment game streaming takes off.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
JWeinCom said:
What exactly is the investment required for a streaming service like that? It seems to me (who is admittedly uneducated on this matter) that the costs would be a drop in the bucket for a company like google. They presumably already have a lot of the infrastructure, and there is no actual hardware beyond the controllers to manufacture. I'm guessing they could pretty easily survive a slow take off. If anything, I would say this is a soft launch for stadia. It's hard to market it when so many people already have a PS4 or XBox One and both systems are only 130 dollars more expensive than the stadia controller alone (although it works with other controllers I think). The real push for it will come when the next next gen consoles are launched. Suddenly when playing next gen games costs at least 400 dollars, the stadia becomes a way more attractive option.

How so? Most people who invest a lot in videogames would rather get updated pieces of hardware, either console or PC, just because they want to play without risks of poor streaming performance, and they would be much better informed of the risks of this kind of service (not to mention having access to other gaming streaming-like services). People who don't really care about videogames won't invest heavily in Stadia either because you still have to buy your games either way, so they would either keep themselves to outdated hardware and/or just straight FTP mobile games. Stadia is aiming for an almost non-existant crowd.

Take myself for instance.  Would I rather get a new piece of hardware?  Yeah sure.  But I just started law school, and discretionary money is incredibly limited.  If there are next-gen exclusives that I'd want to play, I'm far more likely to buy it on Stadia.  The money is way more important to me than potential quality issues. I'm sure I'm not the only one with financial concerns that would make buying a new system an issue.

Another obvious market is those between 9 and 18 who are not working.  Next gen hits and there are some exclusives you want to play.  Convincing your parents to buy you a new system and a new game for 500+ dollars is going to be a lot harder than convincing them to buy a new game for 60 and potentially a controller for 70.

There are a lot of people who like games but for whom 4-500 dollars in their pocket will be more important than potential quality issues.  If you can't think of any people like that, then the problem is with your imagination.

Having to pay for new games will destroy stadia anyway in regards to people like us, but then again stadia is for the casual mobile gamers.

JWeinCom said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Take myself for instance.  Would I rather get a new piece of hardware?  Yeah sure.  But I just started law school, and discretionary money is incredibly limited.  If there are next-gen exclusives that I'd want to play, I'm far more likely to buy it on Stadia.  The money is way more important to me than potential quality issues. I'm sure I'm not the only one with financial concerns that would make buying a new system an issue.

Another obvious market is those between 9 and 18 who are not working.  Next gen hits and there are some exclusives you want to play.  Convincing your parents to buy you a new system and a new game for 500+ dollars is going to be a lot harder than convincing them to buy a new game for 60 and potentially a controller for 70.

There are a lot of people who like games but for whom 4-500 dollars in their pocket will be more important than potential quality issues.  If you can't think of any people like that, then the problem is with your imagination.

An average local electronics store will have the option to purchase any console on monthly payments under finance schemes. People can also, you know, save money for upcoming or released products they're interested in, as they always have done. No one was ever forced to shell out medicine money to buy gaming hardware or software.

You might feel like it is a rational cheaper option, however the same was true for OnLive. Or buying a graphics card, slapping it to an average PC and pirating games to hell and back. But people don't buy things rationally and if anyone knew precisely what leads a product to succeed or fail, we wouldn't have flops left and right in any industry. Google itself has a gigantic pile of these lying in their trash bin.

Random_Matt said:
Having to pay for new games will destroy stadia anyway in regards to people like us, but then again stadia is for the casual mobile gamers.

I find that to be the biggest question to date.  While it has been confirmed that games require being purchased, what hasn't been announced (at least to my knowledge) is pricing.  If games are full priced (meaning $60) then my interest in Stadia is dead.  But if pricing is reduced a good deal, that opens up additional discussion points.  

When it comes to gaming I tend to think Google is a lot like Microsoft.  The original XBox was essentially a flop.  It lost Microsoft a lot of money.  Did they give up?  Nope, they are still at it to this day.  In fact they plan to launch another console next year in spite of losing money over and over again.  This is because Microsoft has deep pockets, and the money they lose from gaming is small potatoes compared to their core business.  Initially Microsoft got into gaming to protect their core business from Sony.  (Sony was talking about putting a computer in the living room, and that is what the PS3 originally was.)  But if you look at what Microsoft is doing lately with xCloud, Gamepass, etc..., then you can see that they are really gearing up to fight Google.

Likewise Google has extremely deep pockets too.  Any profits or losses that come from Stadia will be small potatoes compared to their core business, but like Microsoft, I don't think they plan to give up easily.  This is because what Google and Microsoft are really doing is fighting over control of the whole internet.  They simply see gaming as one potential battlefield.  Considering that Apple has just launched Apple Arcade, you can count them in this too.  Apple may have a very different approach, but all 3 companies are basically doing the same thing: fighting with each other over the fate of the internet.  They all want to be top dog, and they just see gaming as one battlefield.

Sony and Nintendo, they actually care about the profits or losses they sustain from gaming.  But if you look at these big IT companies, Google, Microsoft, and Apple, they are fighting over bigger stakes, so they aren't going to leave gaming easily even if their services fail at first.