By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 19 October 2019

PAOerfulone said:

PSP also didn't have to deal with mobile/smartphone gaming. The Vita did.

The Dedicated Handheld Gaming market went from around 230-240 million units sold between the DS & PSP to just under 91 million units sold between the 3DS & PSP; Japan went from 53 million units sold between the DS & PSP to roughly 30-31 million units between the 3DS & Vita. 

Sony shooting themselves in the foot with the Vita with things like the memory card issue and losing the support it had with the PSP (i.e. Monster Hunter) certainly didn't help matters. But with the eradication of the handheld market, the Vita wasn't going to do much better than it did anyways.

Yep if you flip the PS4 and Vita lineups you basically just flip their hardware sales so PS4 would sell under 6m and Vita might cross 10m.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Tagging this to read through the posts tomorrow, but seems that the Lite has a lasting 50k increase for the Switch over all the markets, really nice them doing a million per month in the lead up to Pokemon/Holiday season.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

So I guess "globally in Europe" is a thing now?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

zorg1000 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Guess the Switch Lite boost was only temporary. Now to see if Luigi's Mansion 3 has an impact.

Not true, here are the average weekly sales per region from June 1-Sept 14.

NA-77k

EU-59k

JP-51k

Sales this week

NA-94k

EU-76k

JP-51k

NA & EU sales this week are notably above the pre-Lite baseline. Japan on the other hand is back to the baseline but there are two very good reasons for that, the tax hike and the typhoon.

It's true from where I'm looking, the Switch sold similar to this in the weeks just before the Lite dropped.

Well. I had predicted 275.000 for the Switch, I am well off.

Around the Network
estebxx said:
Intrinsic said:

Relax bro... no hypocrisy here. Just the truth.

The PS4 is outselling the switch in the EU by just 1.4:1.

The Switch is outselling the PS4 in NA by around 1.4:1.

And they are pretty much even for ROW sales.

In Japan, however, the switch is outselling the PS4 by a whopping 10:1.

If you look at those numbers, you will see that they both cancel each other out between EU and NA and are even in ROW. That leaves Japan.

If making that observation is being a hypocrite to you? Then idk, maybe you are taking all this shit too seriously.

Now I am saying you need to relax, because this observation is a simple fact. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's not Nintendos fault that sony isn't selling as well in Japan. We could also conclude from the same info that the Switch is the most balanced seling platform of the three. Either way, it doesn't change the data.

I wonder how much the PS4 would sell in Japan if it was a handheld.

If done right, it would be well over 20M.

PAOerfulone said:

PSP also didn't have to deal with mobile/smartphone gaming. The Vita did.

The Dedicated Handheld Gaming market went from around 230-240 million units sold between the DS & PSP to just under 91 million units sold between the 3DS & PSP; Japan went from 53 million units sold between the DS & PSP to roughly 30-31 million units between the 3DS & Vita. 

Sony shooting themselves in the foot with the Vita with things like the memory card issue and losing the support it had with the PSP (i.e. Monster Hunter) certainly didn't help matters. But with the eradication of the handheld market, the Vita wasn't going to do much better than it did anyways.

The problem with the Handheld market is it did not evolve with the times. Communitcation and connectivty became a basic feature of all mobile devices by 2010. When 3DS and Vita failed deliver an option to compete with the rest of the Mobile devices on the market, they were destined to see a massive drop in sales. 

Sony came close with the 3G Vita, but they did not commit to it. Instead they pulled the plug and put all of their investment behind Xperia. At the time it might have seemed like the smart move, as they were moving 50M+ units a year. In the 6 years since, they have lost almost $7 Billion, and sales have fallen to less than 5M Units a year. 

There is still a market for the handheld form factor across the globe. Switch has proved that. The thing that the Handheld form factor needs is the respect of having a Mobile ready option. 

I have said it time and time again, but Sony needs a PlayStation Phone. With the next gen around the corner, now is the time to build a unified platform with PlayStation 5. With Ryzen/RDNA at the core, a unified OS and library of Software and Services between the PS5, PS5 Phone, and PS5 Portable, Sony can recapture the lost ground in Japan, and establish an even more enticing ecosystem for game makers around the world. 

We are not talking about a device that is intended to go toe to toe with Android and iOS in sales, but a device that is intended to be what it should be. A niche Mobile platform for gamers. At the end of the day that is what PlayStation is. PS4 is not intended to outsell Mac and Windows devices, it is a Home Computing device for games, and it has a very profitable business built around that niche audience. Make a PlayStation Phone with a realistic outlook, and Sony can create a 2nd branch of their ecosystem that is just as successful and profitable as the home console.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Ah, good old thread console wars. What best way to spend your time? Humankind has trully found the meaning of life in VGChartz.

haxxiy said:
Ah, good old thread console wars. What best way to spend your time? Humankind has trully found the meaning of life in VGChartz.

You know you're on a site who's primary function is to create a database and weekly sales analysis of console games and systems.

This would be like going to a pro life forum and acting shocked to find religious people and discussion there .

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Another 200k wiped off the lifetime Switch-Xbone gap.

Less than 4 million to go until Switch overtakes.

curl-6 said:

Another 200k wiped off the lifetime Switch-Xbone gap.

Less than 4 million to go until Switch overtakes.

See that ratio in the US for those machines? 3:1 in favour of switch, even globally in the US it's a massive Switch victory.