By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 19 October 2019

Intrinsic said:
estebxx said:

I wonder how much the PS4 would sell in Japan if it was a handheld.

Probably still way less than the switch. The real issue is that sony doesn't make enough of what I would call japan friendly games anymore. 

And japan is handheld country, so its twice as bad or the PS4.

True, I want another LOD or just more JRPGs from Sony.

Just imagine a big AAA JRPG with TLOU or GOW type quality... i would buy that immediately

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Another fun fact, without japan the PS4 would be outselling the switch. In its 6th year on the market.

I've seen people do this multiple times where they point out how Switch is only beating PS4 because of Japan but almost nobody wants to acknowledge that Europe is the only reason why PS4 is even competitive with it.

It just seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Somebody had to say it. 

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

I've seen people do this multiple times where they point out how Switch is only beating PS4 because of Japan but almost nobody wants to acknowledge that Europe is the only reason why PS4 is even competitive with it.

It just seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Relax bro... no hypocrisy here. Just the truth.

The PS4 is outselling the switch in the EU by just 1.4:1.

The Switch is outselling the PS4 in NA by around 1.4:1.

And they are pretty much even for ROW sales.

In Japan, however, the switch is outselling the PS4 by a whopping 10:1.

If you look at those numbers, you will see that they both cancel each other out between EU and NA and are even in ROW. That leaves Japan.

If making that observation is being a hypocrite to you? Then idk, maybe you are taking all this shit too seriously.

Now I am saying you need to relax, because this observation is a simple fact. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's not Nintendos fault that sony isn't selling as well in Japan. We could also conclude from the same info that the Switch is the most balanced seling platform of the three. Either way, it doesn't change the data.

Just because I find something hypocritical doesnt mean I'm upset or worked up, I can assure you I'm quite calm and relaxed lol and that wasnt meant as a jab towards you as a person.

I just think if you're going to point out how one platform sales are lifted by a specific region than you need to do the same for the other platform in the comparison.

Take away Japan and PS4 has a 0.3% lead over Switch.

Take away Europe and Switch has a 67.9% lead over PS4.

To me that shows that Europe is carrying PS4 way more than Japan is carrying Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Just because I find something hypocritical doesnt mean I'm upset or worked up, I can assure you I'm quite calm and relaxed lol and that wasnt meant as a jab towards you as a person.

I just think if you're going to point out how one platform sales are lifted by a specific region than you need to do the same for the other platform in the comparison.

To me that shows that Europe is carrying PS4 way more than Japan is carrying Switch.

That's a rather strange way of doing the analysis.

Reason being that EU and NA cancel each other out. The switch is outselling the PS4 in NA the same way the PS4 outsells it in EU. In any kinda "fair" statistical analysis, you group the similarities not single out whichever "one" field that a certain commodity is doing well in. 

In this case, NA vs EU vs ROW are all similar. As I said, they basically cancel each other out in all those areas. Alright, let's see from this week...

Switch - NA + EU + ROW = 206k

PS4 - NA + EU + ROW = 207k

The tie-breaker here also happens to be the one area that has the largest ratio of sales in favor of the switch (10:1), and that's Japan. 

We can also do this your way. Les remove EU where PS4 has a 1.4:1 sales advantage. And then to be fair, also remove NA where the switch has a 1.4:1 advantage, and leave ROW wee they are basically tied and Japan. We get still end with a 2:1 advantage in favor of the switch...even though they are tied in japan, That is just more proof of how much japan is tipping the scales in favor of the switch.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 27 October 2019

Europe and the rest of the World are kings as usual.

Around the Network
estebxx said:

Probably not much more than it currently has, it's not like being a handheld automatically guarantees good sales, Vita sold less than 6 million in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
estebxx said:

Probably not much more than it currently has, it's not like being a handheld automatically guarantees good sales, Vita sold less than 6 million in Japan.

With support the psp sold 20.xx millions in Japan.

without support the vita sold less than 6 millions.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

That's a rather strange way of doing the analysis.

Reason being that EU and NA cancel each other out. The switch is outselling the PS4 in NA the same way the PS4 outsells it in EU. In any kinda "fair" statistical analysis, you group the similarities not single out whichever "one" field that a certain commodity is doing well in. 

In this case, NA vs EU vs ROW are all similar. As I said, they basically cancel each other out in all those areas. Alright, let's see from this week...

Switch - NA + EU + ROW = 206k

PS4 - NA + EU + ROW = 207k

The tie-breaker here also happens to be the one area that has the largest ratio of sales in favor of the switch (10:1), and that's Japan. 

We can also do this your way. Les remove EU where PS4 has a 1.4:1 sales advantage. And then to be fair, also remove NA where the switch has a 1.4:1 advantage, and leave ROW wee they are basically tied and Japan. We get still end with a 2:1 advantage in favor of the switch...even though they are tied in japan, That is just more proof of how much japan is tipping the scales in favor of the switch.

I Dont see how it's strange at all, both viewpoints are completely true. Like you said, Japan is helping Switch have a healthy lead over PS4 and like I said, Europe is helping PS4 be competitive with Switch. My point is that both have to be taken into account when talking about regional differences.

PSP also didn't have to deal with mobile/smartphone gaming. The Vita did.

The Dedicated Handheld Gaming market went from around 230-240 million units sold between the DS & PSP to just under 91 million units sold between the 3DS & PSP; Japan went from 53 million units sold between the DS & PSP to roughly 30-31 million units between the 3DS & Vita. 

Sony shooting themselves in the foot with the Vita with things like the memory card issue and losing the support it had with the PSP (i.e. Monster Hunter) certainly didn't help matters. But with the eradication of the handheld market, the Vita wasn't going to do much better than it did anyways.

kazuyamishima said:
zorg1000 said:

With support the psp sold 20.xx millions in Japan.

without support the vita sold less than 6 millions.

That decline was caused by alot more than just lack of support.

Vita+PS4 have sold ~14 million compared to ~31 million for PSP+PS3

3DS+Wii U sold ~28 million compared to ~46 million for DS+Wii

XBO has sold ~0.1 million compared to ~1.6 million for 360

Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft all saw a large decline is sales in Japan. Even if Vita got it's own Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts or whatever other games you have in mind than that just means support was shifted from one platform to another so best case scenario we are looking at Vita stealing a few million sales from 3DS & PS4.