By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When it comes to features, Nintendo is annoyingly ADD

Wman1996 said:
I get dropping stuff like PictoChat, some of the Wii Channels, maybe even StreetPass. I don't understand why the Switch doesn't have an Internet Browser, Activity Log, Virtual Console, and Netflix. That's all very basic stuff. And give us some actual themes as well, please, the 3DS had those.

Do American Switches lack an Activity Log? Mine has one.

They sort have a Virtual Console with the eShop, and it's expanded in scope since it is open to mobile, Steam, PSX, and PS2 ports as well as new games. While I miss the software library on the Virtual Console, I find that as of this year the Switch has more than surpassed what was available between its new ways of delivering. Mostly, I hope that Nintendo brings back the rest of the missing catalogue from the Wii era; but we just got FF7, 8, and X, and a bunch of other FF games, that's crazy! There's also the NES and SNES service which gives a bunch of games for free alongside the online service.

I'm not saying Netflix or Opera wouldn't be nice to have, but calling them basic services for a gaming console is a gigantic stretch. Nintendo doesn't even own these things. At least they owned the Wii Channels and StreetPass.

I agree themes would be nice for people who like them, even if I couldn't care less about them myself.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
Hot take: Miiverse was garbage.

But yeah, while not a deal breaker for me, the lack of features like StreetPass, folders, a proper activity log, and an internet browser are still a head-scratcher for me.

The Miiverse makes the most sense as a cut for me. The whole thing was a massive liability without much in the way of a benefit to Nintendo.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

KBG29 said:
I agree, the Switch is a massive let down for me due to the lack of all of these functions. I barley pick the thing up between massive games, because it offers nothing to do.

However, Nintendo is not alone in this. Sony are just as guilty. PS3 was a much more complete system than PS4. The only issue with PS3 was the lack of memory which made it slower to swap between apps, and use apps with a game running in the background.

The only company that has actually improved the overall feature set of their platform this generation is Microsoft. The XBO is basically the successor to the PS3 in that regard.

The appeal of consoles and handhelds for me has always been their ability to play games, and be a one stop device for all my Entertainment and Productivity needs. Sadly the market seems to be moving away from this, and pushing user in the direction of buying multiple devices to achieve the same functionality.

In many ways I feel like we have begun to loop back in technology. From 2000 - 2010, it was this amazing convergence of devices being combine into a single home and mobile device that covered everything you need. From 2010 - 2020, we have seemingly went the opposite direct, where now instead of having a single console that can do everything people need, instead they need a seperate speaker for a voice assistant, and a seperate camera for video chatting, and a seperate set top box for streaming. On the Mobile side, instead of having a single Handheld that handhelds everything on the go and at home, now people need a handheld for gaming, a smartphone for on the go, and a tablet while they are at home.

I really hope that with the next generation of Consoles and Handhelds that we get back to them being a one stop device, that continues to add features and value throught the generation. There is no reason PS5, XB4, and Switch 2 should not build upon what the current devices are doing.

In the end of the day, I don't want to see consoles fall to unsustainable levels as lesser devices like Smartphones, Tablets, Set Top Boxes, and Smart TVs become the be all end all. It is up to us as gamers to support these Gaming first devices, and utilize them for our non gaming needs. If we don't it will be our own fault when streaming, and non gaming devices overrun our medium.

Yep. I still use mine often for video and music. I used to use the web browser, but it's been a long time since I bothered with it. It was never that good. Running 2 slims currently, with a Super-Slim backup. I really regret not buying another backup-backup. Too bad it never played WMV2 or MKV files. Ah well.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Can you still not message other players with text? I can't find any recent results with the google machine.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Jumpin said:
Wman1996 said:
I get dropping stuff like PictoChat, some of the Wii Channels, maybe even StreetPass. I don't understand why the Switch doesn't have an Internet Browser, Activity Log, Virtual Console, and Netflix. That's all very basic stuff. And give us some actual themes as well, please, the 3DS had those.

Do American Switches lack an Activity Log? Mine has one.

The Switch has a very basic list of the most recent 20 titles you've played, and how long. But it only starts saying how long after 2 weeks and in increments of 5 hours (once you've hit 5 hours). It's kind of an activity log, but barely.

The Wii U had a Daily Log that was several steps down from the 3DS Activity Log, but at least it was something.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

The lack of Netflix is a gross oversight. And their digital policies are awful.

I at least agree on that much; the Activity Log on Switch is useless, if there's a list anyway, why doesn't it just show the actual playtime? The system obviously knows. The 3DS had by far the best Activity Log.

On the rest; I don't see why one would complain about something like Netflix. Or worse, an internet browser. There's a billion other devices that have that already, and they're all probably better at it than the Switch would be. Heck, on my tv I can just go to channel 150 and bam; Netflix. Are people really so lazy they can't use multiple devices? Do you pick only one device at the start of the day and then go with that?

The desire for Netflix on the Switch is because it is portable. I don't have too many portable devices, especially since I have kids.